Routeplanning tool - Shameless self promotion

After working with the local avalanche center, we have created a route planning tool for backcountry use. We calculate aspect, and slope angle, and then give you a neat elevation profile and topo map for a user defined path. It will also calculate cumulative elevation gain and loss.

Its meant to be used to educate people about terrain before they even set foot outside... not a replacement for avalanche training or common sense. We also incorporated sharing so you can send your ski partner a proposed path.

You will need Google Earth installed to view, then click here.

I am basically looking for feedback from the community. We plan on keeping this site up and functional as an educational tool, free of charge and ad free.

www.slopescience.com
    app.slopescience.com - Android and iOs

* We are not affiliated with any avalanche center - just a bunch of programmers wishing for snow!

voodoo magic

well shit, if it's free i'll comment, or better yet ask. so where should i go skiing tomorrow, and via what route? i'm still inside and won't leave the house till i get an answer.

rog

I suppose it has its uses for avalanche avoidance, but even in super stable conditions being able to create a route and share it electronically with freinds will make the 'where should we go how should we go there etc etc" planning stage much more streamlined and for that I applaud you.

Describing and debating pros and cons of various routes via phone call/text/facebook message is fucking annoying.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

The field in which you enter your search text looks like a button, particularly since it is auto-populated with "Mt Baker". It doesn't look like a text field. I'm relatively docile, so I was confused for a while.

Best I can tell, it only lets you plot a route which is a straight line between start and end points. That is not how I move in the mountains.

Pretty clever though, all these toys/tools being developed using goo maps.
    Last edited by neck beard; 12-08-2011 at 08:50 PM.
    Life is not lift served.

Sounds like I need to work on the UI a little more. I will make some changes and hopefully make it easier to use.

Multipart routes can be created... just continue to double click along your path. I don't limit the length of your path, but processing actually happens in your browser so it may take a little longer.

As for where to go... If you are in the SLC area... just finding snow at this point is a miracle!

Thanks for the feedback... I will be adding features as my day job allows.

Search Text field looks better now.

I couldn't get a multi-stage route yesterday, but can today.

Next one for you:

If I create a multi-stage route on the map that with the home page loads, and then click the pink text underneath that says "click here to view the path", I get really whack results (the route is redrawn all over the place). I'm guessing "click here to view the path" is just a demo based on an existing path? If so, it isn't so obvious.

Alternatively...

If I create a multi-stage route and then click the Process button (which I assume is the intended next step), I get good results, like in your image above.
    Life is not lift served.

nice work! A max slope ange or better marked gradation around 40-50 degree would be nice for places in the alps.

This is a great tool. The presentation of aspect data is somewhat confusing; any chance you could use a rose instead of the dots?

Sent from my Paranoid Android using TGR Forums

Could you give a little more info? (Sorry but I am coming off a wicked cold and between the Nyquil and feeling like crap I haven't been able to think straight) I try to give a general overview of the terrain you will be encountering instead of a hard and fast this is here, and this is here. Partially to shield myself from litigation and misuse of data. When you say use rose, do you mean color the rose and leave off the dots?

Thanks for all the great feedback... I will add new features, and a sweet hardware option soon!

Lightbulb

I can't tell which point from the map relates to which point on the rose.

* User moves mouse over graph and a highlighted point appears in the rose.
    * Or something along these lines.

Other comments:

* Great interface.
    * Double click to start... any way to make single click add additional points?
    * Moving points, which I'm sure you have planned at some point. Would be nice to refine a route... since routeplanning is all about refinement.
    * The tool does a good job providing empirical estimates that are at least as good as "guestimates" from contour maps used in conventional planning.
    * The tool automates a lot of the more tedious parts of route planning.
    * The inherent uncertainty in route planning seems to be well-preserved.
    * This could make people more apt to plan, which would be great.
    * Can't think of anything I don't like.
    * Super cool tool.

Sorry about your cold.

Sent from my Paranoid Android using TGR Forums
    Last edited by CookieMonster; 12-12-2011 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post
    I can't tell which point from the map relates to which point on the rose.

* User moves mouse over graph and a highlighted point appears in the rose.
    * Or something along these lines.

Gotta agree with this right here. If this was implemented it would be a superb tool. That or export to view in GE with the mouse over graph view.

I must admit that I still do most of my routeplanning the old-fashioned way...by pouring over topographic maps and then when I find some possible routes and their alternatives, I copy the topo maps and plasticize them. Plasticized topo maps NEVER run out of batteries!!!

But lately, I've been messing around with my Magellan Titon 400 GPS more and more, as it has the ability to download full topographic maps to it's screen as an overlay (or maybe more appropriately as an 'underlay'...with the gps track overlayed ontop of it).

The Triton might indeed be fairly low tech, but I can envision the day when one will point their iPhone toward whatever canyon and a 3D rendering of that canyon will show up on the screen, and you'll then be able to virtually navigate that canyon in a 3D format, like some of the new video games, and at the same time get a data stream of variable topologic data. Then you'll just ask 'Siri' to come up with some viable routes through that canyon, and she'll come back at you with some options and overlay them onto the 3D rendered screen.

Or you can send up your $300 Brookstone 4-blade, iPad/iphone-driven "video copter" (basically using the same tech as the new military surveillance drone mini-copters)...and do your own route planning. Those Brookstaone 4-bladers have 2 onboard video cameras and are INCREDIBLY easy to send aloft and navigate with an iPhone...they are also able to automatically sense wind-shifts and compensate, for automatic hovering over whatever area. All for $300??? Amazing!!

--
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

I'm sorry to resurrect this thread so late in the season, but thought I would post new developments. I have been working hard at bringing a new project to market and have had to keep hush while the paperwork got filed.
    I finally have everything so here it is... Neva.

Some people may have seen me using it at Alta, or the Wasatch backcountry this year and I have gotten a lot of positive input from people in the community. Let me know what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by slopescience.com View Post
    I'm sorry to resurrect this thread so late in the season, but thought I would post new developments. I have been working hard at bringing a new project to market and have had to keep hush while the paperwork got filed.
    I finally have everything so here it is... Neva.

Some people may have seen me using it at Alta, or the Wasatch backcountry this year and I have gotten a lot of positive input from people in the community. Let me know what you think.
    Very interesting. Can you share more details?

Sent from my Paranoid Android using TGR forums.

I agree very interesting except for the fact that I have not migrated over to the smart phone usage yet. The aspect angle and temperature are rather useful though. I am assuming that it would calculate the angle and elevation based on a gps app on the phone? Or does it use some self contained gps tidbit along with a barometer for accurate elevation? Very curious and interested as a gear whore.

Exactly. To keep production cost down (and make it affordable for every user) GPS is provided by your phone. The app running on the phone does tell me how accurate your GPS lock, so I can set a realistic expectation. I played with a barometer but ran into calibration issues and they were susceptible to water damage. This version of Neva will not have it, but its not off the drawing board completely. Hands free phone operation is a plus for most skiers, but calls and texts can be turned off (in the app) if all you want is a quiet day in the back country. I will post a link to the Kickstarter.com page once it is all done... it explains the features and shows it in action.

i was going to ask if you would be using kickstarter. not gonna lie though, the call and text aspect of it kind of pisses me off. if and when i use my phone while skiing i usually have it in airplane mode and just use the gps so the battery will last. temp, slope (how accurate is this really?), elevation etc are all nice but why do you need to be taking calls? i'm guessing it communicates via bluetooth? be interesting to see more details and see how accurate all of these measurements are from a ski pole without costing an arm and a leg.

The app that comes with the Neva allows you to turn on or off features you don't want. I realize most people in the back country like the peace and quiet, but I have to have the resort skiers support to make this product happen.
    I just bought an elevation database that has 3 meter resolution for the continental USA. My calculations are accurate to 20cm, but it all depends on your GPS's accuracy. The pole will display a visual indicator of how accurate that is. Yes, bluetooth will be used for communications. I will be posting a link to the Kickstarter this week, I have special early supporter pricing for the first 30 pairs. Plenty of other rewards too!

As promised... the Kickstarter page is now live and I have early supporter perks up for grabs. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...f-the-ski-pole I really am excited to bring technology and skiing jobs back to Salt Lake City, and build a company with community support.

Hugh Conway Guest
    What kind of EMF interference do these generate for beacons?

Hugh,

Thanks for the question. The Neva pole uses low powered Bluetooth class 2 modules. They operate in the 2402-2480MHz frequency, and my circuit dissipates about 2.5mW (10 meter range). The standard frequency used in beacons is 457 kHz so shouldn't cause any interference.

I have done several beacon tests with a BCA Tracker 2, BCA DPS, Pieps Freeride and Ortovox F1, while having several poles, and a Bluetooth headset actively communicating with my phone. There was no interference during these tests. I do plan on getting UL certification upon successful funding but the price has been prohibitively high for a small start-up. I use only UL certified components, but want to make sure there is no problem myself!

Beacon manufacturers do warn you to place your phone or any other electronic device at least 12 inches (30cm) away from the beacon. Interference will affect the searching beacon more than the transmitting one. Neva will also have a kill switch that will cut all power to the circuit, and I am thinking of including a small warning sticker that should be placed on your beacon reminding you to turn off ALL electronic devices before starting a search.

I was worried about the same thing and did research before choosing Bluetooth as a standard. I will of course attach any certifications with the device.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Thanks very much for the reply