Is anyone in the funeral/mortuary business?

Is anyone in the funeral/mortuary business?

If so, can I get your honest take on it? Possible to work in that field and still ski/surf etc? Would you recommend? Pros, cons...etc. Any inside beta for someone considering an apprenticeship?

Thanks in advance,
    -YM

Had this plan once to start an environmentally friendly funeral service... It was to be called U-Plant-Em. The idea was that once granny passed on she could continue to give back to the garden she loved so much.

But there were some sensitivity issues with the tree chipper even when painted black and equipped with nice heavy velvet curtains on the feed chute.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

All of the $$ comes from side dealings. TGR should be an ideal place to build your client list.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    My friend's husband runs the only show in town; I might be able to put you in touch with him if you like.

He's incredibly busy, often gets calls at two or three a.m. to pick people up, often has to drive to other states to transport people, and all of his clients (the deceased's families) are going through the worst part of their lives. But he loves it, and has a great sense of humor about the whole thing. Its not great money, but its steady work. Don't know about skiing/surfing, though.

Yeti - I wondered about this line of work a lot myself. Seems like there are very few places that do it, so the opportunities are there. Its the one service that every single person in the world will eventually need. and, despite what ^^ said, the guy I know that does it locally seems like he's doing more than all right for himself. (Nice cars, wife doesnt work, kids in good schools, etc..) Does it require formal education/certifications, or is it, like you said, an apprenticeship type of thing?

Just know that if you go this route your nickname will be "Digger".

As DJ said, this is one of those careers with some serious job security if you find a niche. Beats being a bankruptcy attorney. Seems like the kind of area that you could carve out a personal business model, start small and then maybe open the doors on a physical space one day, i.e. maybe just start by contracting for transportation to begin. The guy who showed up to pick up my father the night he unexpectedly passed away, treated my father like luggage. If you add a human element and are ok with being in the midst of some turmoil and working odd hours, you could do well. Just my $.02, which could be worth less than that.

Blurred could probably do the grave digging for you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Blurred could probably do the grave digging for you?
    they generally cremate the dead, not fry them.
    No kick turns
    No mercy

Quote Originally Posted by grubbers View Post
    they generally cremate the dead, not fry them.
    OMG I laughed so hard I coughed up a french fry, and I have not eaten one for two weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    As DJ said, this is one of those careers with some serious job security if you find a niche. Beats being a bankruptcy attorney.
    If you're talking job security then bankruptcy attorneys are sitting pretty given the state of the US economy, & I bet they are not driving round at 3am collecting dead bodies...

But seriously if you have any interest in the legal type stuff... then bankruptcy people do better than most.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    If you're talking job security then bankruptcy attorneys are sitting pretty given the state of the US economy, & I bet they are not driving round at 3am collecting dead bodies...

But seriously if you have any interest in the legal type stuff... then bankruptcy people do better than most.
    That was my point. I think banko attorneys have great job security. I would rather scrape up bodies if the pay was commensurate.

Call Woodsy and ask him about his buddy Toby. Pre-planning business. You are going to die, now lets plan it right kind of thing.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

My buddy that owns a funeral home, a big one, and makes bank. He has a sweet limo that he puts in local charity auctions to drive to dinner/drink parties. Big Lou and her friends use it now and again. Prolly hits on the last one dropped off, I would.
    If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.

Didn't Lindsey Lohan get in on a apprentice ship in the mortuary business?
    You know, you can swear on this site. Fuck, shit bitch. See?

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

For environmentally friendly funeral service....you can use body liquefaction... totally eco-friendly process... greener way to die..for more read... cremation guide