Boot questions, forefoot width

I need new boots, the ole 03 (or around that time, dang maybe earlier) Lange banshee 9's Name:  Product_111465.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  5.7 KBare about to dissintegrate. I'm looking at the Blaster pro's, which have a walk function for easy side country access. However the forefoot measurement (which i understand is measured across the ball of the foot) is 102mm, and my banshees are only 98mm. The Banshees were a perfect fit, i'm worried that going 4mm wider will mean i'm swimming in the blasters a little. I'll get some custom footbeds, so guess i could pad the sides a bit to get them snugger.

Just wondering if the difference in fit is going to be significant between the two? I'm ordering untried/unworn as i'm in Australia and boot costs here are too high for me. Have Lange changed their fit significantly? I'm worried i'm going to end up with a boot that doesn't fit well, even though i've always had Lange's due to their good shape for my foot.

Thanks for any advice/recommendations.
    Last edited by janus; 12-05-2011 at 10:04 PM.

So I just bought a pair of pro 120's and I wear a 4e (wide) shoe and they fit pretty well out of the box. I will have to mold the liners to get a more comfortable fit. If you are in a 98 last boot and they fit great I wouldn't go to something that is 4mm difference. I have tried on 98mm last boots and there was no way that I could ever get a correct fit(maybe lots of shell punching).

I am coming from Tele and switched to alpine liast year and have only had touring boots. The walk mode is not that mobile in these boots but that i coming from tournig boots so my perception could be skued.

thanks for the comments. Seems like the blasters are far from the "classic" lange fit.
    Might need to look elsewhere for a boot with a walk function and decent downhill performance.

Tecnica Cochise. Or next year's Cochise Pro, 98mm last, burly flex, great walk mode. Search for Marshal Olson's review thread. Or go to blister gear review's site.

That is all.

cheers mang.. seeing them at 100mm on BC.com, need to do more research. Ah ok read the review, the cochise pro will be 98mm last, the regular 100mm.

the shell for a 27 and a 27.5 is going to be exactly the same right? Only the inner will be a little thicker in the 27.. just that i'm only seeing the Cochise online in 27 and not 27.5 which is my preferred size.

urgh, now i need to work out if Lange 27.5 equates to a technica 27.5

If you like the Banshee's, the replacement with Lange would be the new RS/RX lines in either 97mm or 100mm lasts. Lots of topics on these.
    "He thinks the carpet pissers did this?"

Color me jealous. I'd love to wear boots with a 98mm last. I was just measured during a boot doctoring session and I need 111mm on the left and 112mm on the right. I have an otherwise pretty low volume foot (and narrow heels), making boot buying a real chore.

Yeah, just wondering if there's a boot with a fit similar to the classic lange fit, which has a walk function.. will keep researching, alternatively the RX will probably be the go. cheers

Quote Originally Posted by janus View Post
    Yeah, just wondering if there's a boot with a fit similar to the classic lange fit, which has a walk function.. will keep researching, alternatively the RX will probably be the go. cheers
    Holy Grail, Bro, Holy Grail.

yeah, looks like the RX have a 100mm forefoot width, urgh. buying boots untried is stupid.

janus, wait til the new year and i would bet your prayers will be answered
    in more ways than one...
    PM for details..
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

sounds good, do they come with a free set of steak knives?
    pm sent

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGortex View Post
    Color me jealous. I'd love to wear boots with a 98mm last. I was just measured during a boot doctoring session and I need 111mm on the left and 112mm on the right. I have an otherwise pretty low volume foot (and narrow heels), making boot buying a real chore.
    Do you wear a 26? Boot dimensions (including width) extrapolate the bigger (or smaller) they get. Your foot can also take a little compression.

Anyhow, you are picking the blaster for sidecountry? Really? You don't need a walk mode for sidecountry. If you really want boots that will make hiking easier go with a touring boot. I ski a performance/race-type boot and hike an hour per day for sidecountry. Can you see a good bootfitter next time you ski or try a few on at least? Good fitting boots will benefit you way more than a chinsy walk function. The new Lange RS/RX boots are pretty sweet btw. Really most companies make a solid boot these days.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGortex View Post
    My feet are both 110mm across the toe joints. I have seven seasons on my 98mm lasted dobermans. Since they are a shell size 28, they might be a tiny bit wider. I have new boots this season, only because of sole wear. I have well fitted foam liners, which tightly fit my foot. How to they measure the last? it would not think it is a shell dimension, since my foot fits in the shell just fine with no real pressure. Is the width a recommended width with the liner in ?

I wear a 29 boot/13 shoe. Would prefer to be in a 28, but struggle to pound them out wide enough. I like really tight boots. My toe knuckles are absolutely mashed against the sides of the shell with no liner. My boot fitter wanted to work out the shell before going to custom liners. I'm letting her do whatever she wants for these boots to see how they turn out. If they work well, I will continue going to her for all my boot needs in the future. I've traditionally streched and modified my own boots.