Volkl Nunataq vs. Voile Charger vs. BD Justice

I've read the reviews but I'm looking for some more feedback from anyone who has skied on at least 2 of these 3 skis. 178cm Nunataq, 181 Charger, 175 Justice. I ski about 50 days a year, 48 of them in Montana backcountry powder, dynafit bindings. I weigh 165 lbs., and ski at moderate speeds/turning radius. I will probably ski faster now, moving on from original Gotamas.
    Dont tell me to search, i already read other threads on this topic and nobody satisfactorily compared how they ski, or, additionally, how the Nunataq SKINS. teton at guy said Chargers are more turny than Justices.

No comment on the skis, but I'd go a little longer in the sizes. A 175 Justice is way too short for me. I'm somewhere between 160# and 170# myself and would very much hesitate to buy a ski under 180, particularly if it's got a bunch of rocker. Maybe you have a different opinion or are trying to save weight, but I ski for the down. No reason to go over the handlebars on a ski that is 105-115 underfoot.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

All are great skis; I'd list Nunataq-Charger-Justice from most versatile to most powder specific. The Justice is soft, and it has a larger turning radius with a rocker profile that makes it plane in soft snow, but crap out on harder surfaces. The Nunataq is the most like a traditional ski, with sidecut and sidewalls, and as such I'd prefer it to the others for "ski mountaineering." With camber underfoot, a smaller turning radius and a snappy flex, but significant tip rocker, the Charger skis predictably in diverse conditions, planing in soft snow and carving on supportable surfaces. I'd go Charger.

anyone skinned on the nunataq or any fully rockered ski? i dont think i really like "snappy" skis, i like my old gotamas.

I skinned a fair amount on my rockered gots, I didn’t really notice much if any difference between those and my gold gots or any of the other flat skis in my quiver.

Quote Originally Posted by afraid View Post
    anyone skinned on the nunataq or any fully rockered ski? i dont think i really like "snappy" skis, i like my old gotamas.
    I've skinned quite a bit on DPS Wailer 112s, so yeah -- a bit of rocker there. Just get the widest skins you can for wall-to-wall coverage and you should be good. No leaning forward in the skin track, stay tall. The only issue I've had is that my skis are a 184 and kick turns can be challenging at that length... but I'll figure it out eventually.

the local shop kicked out all last yrs Justice (red top sheet)super cheap at the ski swap for like 250$ reason i was given ... BD changed the ski a bunch since last yr
    Last edited by XXX-er; 12-06-2011 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by linds-o-rama View Post
    I've skinned quite a bit on DPS Wailer 112s, so yeah -- a bit of rocker there. Just get the widest skins you can for wall-to-wall coverage and you should be good. No leaning forward in the skin track, stay tall. The only issue I've had is that my skis are a 184 and kick turns can be challenging at that length... but I'll figure it out eventually.
    pretty sure the wailer is not fully rockered

Good point, they have a bit of traditional camber underfoot. Rocker still can make for sketchy skinning, so wide skins and good technique are key!