Diagnosis: 3 Herniated discs w/bone spurs Cervical 3-4,4-5,5-6

Three weeks ago it began w/level 10 pain in my rt. neck radiating into my rt shoulder w/numbness in rt. thumb.

Got massage therapy, p.t., and about 5 chiro visits along w/x-rays and some relief-hydro-codone/valume.

Three days ago got an MRI and went over it with the neck/spine doc-the images are conclusive: three herniations along with bone spurs which are compressing a couple areas of root nerves which feed my rt. shoulder/arm.

I'm currently on a 6 day prednasone program to see if it'll reduce the inflamation enough to relieve the symptoms-

Worst-case scenario- a 3-tier fusion discectomy. Doc says full recovery in 4-6 weeks-contact sport ready in 6 for sure...

According to the doc, the herniations most-likely occurred over a long period of time and are just now showing up because of the nerve impingement.
    I guess I'm paying for the past 20 years of skiing hard, river guiding, taking diggers on my bike...

Shit!
    Could be worse-if I had the issue in my thoracic region-longer recovery

Who's had this, how'd it go, any regrets getting surgery...thoughts, suggestions...?

Ouch. I have the same on a more limited scale -- just C5/C6 -- that I learned about almost 13 years ago, when my left arm became paralyzed during a freakin' dinner party. Went to the head of neurosurgery at Roosevelt in NYC, who told me his goal was to avoid surgery unless absolutely necessary. I spent six to eight weeks in intensive PT, developing neck muscle that now effectively self-splints my egghead. Other than having to throw out all my dress shirts because my neck got 1.5-2" bigger, the only symptom I've had since is occasional tingling in my fingers. Knock wood.

My friends who've gone the surgical route have not been as happy. However, they've also probably been worse off to being with.

Bottom line, I'd suggest a second opinion if he ends up recommending surgery, if only because I'd suggest a second opinion about any surgery.
    not counting days 2016-17

Unhappy Same issue

After car accident I have been diagnosed with same cervical disc location herniations and the c6/7 as well. Instantly lost feeling in arm and use of rt thumb as well. I need the fusion immediately but am terrified to loose my mobility even though movement is painful. How much flexibility will be lost, any experiences? Also is surfing, SUP,skiing out of the picture now?

Thanks,
    dld8823

PLEASE DON'T TEXT AND DRIVE.

Had C5/C6 discectomy w/ fusion about 8 years ago, after going through PT & prednasone with limited relief. The decision to have have the surgery was made when the docs said I could have permanent nerve damage and muscle weakness without it.

Now I'm having problems with the C6/C7 disc, but it has responded well to prednasone, PT and paying attention to posture and what activities can cause irritation. (I stopped running marathons and raised the bars on my road bike.)

My advice would be to exhaust all non-invasive treatments first. The problem with the fusion is it puts added stress on the discs above and below the fusion site which can lead to more problems down the road.

Had a buddy who got some cervicals fused.
    He used to say "I had some troubles with 4,5 and 6. But now it's just 456."

Disc herniations will shrink over time.
    Fused Disc puts all the bending into the discs above and below the Fusion, so avoid surgery if at all possible.
    Find a Osteopathic Physician who does manipulation and a Good PT.
    Surgeons almost always suggest surgery. Find medical help that knows how to cure without surgery.

I never had a fusion but had a microdiscectomy at L5/S1. He cut the disk material away from the nerve bundle, I only did it because I had lost some motor function in my left foot. It happened again last spring but motor function was fine so with PT and self medication it went away on its own.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Has the motor function returned in your left foot? I just had a microdiscectomy at L3-4 two weeks ago and have some neuropathy down my right quad and medial side of the knee (weakness and numbness). I'm hoping that will improve, especially the weakness. I've been walking a lot, but too soon after surgery to do much more than that. After spending about a month in pure agony and exhausting all non-invasive options, the surgeon removed two pinky-sized disc fragments that were detached from the disc. Relief was immediate.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    I never had a fusion but had a microdiscectomy at L5/S1. He cut the disk material away from the nerve bundle, I only did it because I had lost some motor function in my left foot. It happened again last spring but motor function was fine so with PT and self medication it went away on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by telemon10 View Post
    Has the motor function returned in your left foot? I just had a microdiscectomy at L3-4 two weeks ago and have some neuropathy down my right quad and medial side of the knee (weakness and numbness). I'm hoping that will improve, especially the weakness. I've been walking a lot, but too soon after surgery to do much more than that. After spending about a month in pure agony and exhausting all non-invasive options, the surgeon removed two pinky-sized disc fragments that were detached from the disc. Relief was immediate.
    Yeah I have full range and control.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Quote Originally Posted by telemon10 View Post
    Get a B12 shot.