Squaw and Alpine connection article

Man, I hope this becomes a reality, the terrain they are talking about looks awesome. Hope this a sign of things to come from the new Squaw owners.

http://www.moonshineink.com/articles.php/6/2575

I hike up there in the summer off alpines access road.
    I think its the area before you get to 5lakes.
    Seems awfully mellow in there once you get past the backside of kt.

Yawn. I've toured from Alpine to Squaw in winter, and hiked around there in the summer. Pretty pointless, really, nothing really worth skiing back there, just a way to create some marketing buzz by saying you could go from one ski area to the other without taking off your skis - like the ad touting it as the largest ski area in the country, when it's really two separate ski areas (for now). Pretty sure if it happens we'll see more cases of people getting sucked down into GC wilderness.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

The "obvious" route from the top of KT22 is on private land. The gate they are talking about in article ( Bottom of SunBowl ) would lead into wilderness area and I think would require a fair amount of slogging across relatively flat ground.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...49039,0.109606

Also, if you get lazy and start going downhill, you end up about 20 miles to the west. That particular valley is notorious for leading OB skiers astray to spend a few nights out a long way away from where they think they are.

I wonder what they are going to do about the KT22 issue and the private land that is the obvious route. Everyone and his dog will want to ski that to get to Alpine. There has been talk about a chairlift on that land for at least 10 years.

I was not that interested in the article you posted, however thank you for the link to Monshineink.com

I was not aware of the site. I found of few of the articles current and interesting.
    Its much better than the Bonanza or Tribune.
    Good site
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    Yawn. I've toured from Alpine to Squaw in winter, and hiked around there in the summer. Pretty pointless, really, nothing really worth skiing back there, just a way to create some marketing buzz by saying you could go from one ski area to the other without taking off your skis - like the ad touting it as the largest ski area in the country, when it's really two separate ski areas (for now). Pretty sure if it happens we'll see more cases of people getting sucked down into GC wilderness.
    Really, there is nothing back there? I haven't toured back there, so will have to take your word for it, but it looks ok from the top of Headwall or the top of Estelle bowl. Maybe looks are deceiving. Oh, yeah if someone can screw up and ski the wrong way they will.

from that google map you can see (zoomed in pretty close) the towers that are built on that private land. find kt22 look to the west and you will see a bull wheel follow the towers down. my impression was that area is to high of avalanche risk, main reason the road is always closed?

Quote Originally Posted by TeleTahoe View Post
    from that google map you can see (zoomed in pretty close) the towers that are built on that private land. find kt22 look to the west and you will see a bull wheel follow the towers down. my impression was that area is to high of avalanche risk, main reason the road is always closed?
    Yeah, I think the project got as far as putting in some lift towers from an old double chair, but ran out of something.... That is pretty high risk terrain, there was an avalanche fatality there a few years back. And well if you've never read the story of when the Alpine base got completely destroyed, it's well worth the time.

http://www.avalanche.org/moonstone/T...he%20Story.htm

The private land is called White Wolf, it's owned by Troy Caldwell, it's a custom-built lift permitted for 25 people with Avy I cert or higher per day, the avy fatalities a couple of years ago were friends of Alkasquawlik's, and there are already a bajillion threads about this stuff.

Oh, and MTT, Moonshine Ink is a great local rag -- pretty much the only one of the free papers I pick up for reading rather than as firestarter. They actually do old-school journalism (not so much on this piece), most articles are bilingual, and it was founded and remains run by a local woman.
    not counting days 2016-17