Lytro camera looks cool

"Lytro's new light field camera lets you focus after you take a picture"

I think they should add a sd card slot. But great idea.

https://www.lytro.com/camera

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/...-a-picture.ars
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

I was in on the beta testing on this and didn't find it to be as cool as I once thought. The image quality isn't fantastic with the tiny form factor and tiny sensor. The idea of focusing after you shoot annoys me from a purist perspective, but interests me from a gadget geek perspective. Honestly, you create these files that you can readjust the focal points on but printing would be a pain. The Lytro creates an interesting digital file but a fairly uninteresting physical picture.

I'm interested in this from a geeky aspect too. I was tempted to buy one this summer, but would like to get one in my hands first, and will probably wait and see what comes in a second generation.
    .....Visit my website. .....

"a yin without a yang"

Is this a joke?

No, it is a real camera. Check out Digitalrevs review of it on YouTube. Looks like a POS.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Shoot at f22, selectively blur?
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Cop View Post
    I'm interested in this from a geeky aspect too. I was tempted to buy one this summer, but would like to get one in my hands first, and will probably wait and see what comes in a second generation.
    It's definitely a techie toy of sorts in it's current form. I've had a few friends use them and were quite disappointed (starting with low expectations). Maybe on the next iteration??

They came out with a new version...

Anyone else get to play with one of these?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I played with one of the old ones. Low resolution. Poor overall IQ. Awful form factor. You need to have major differences in foreground/background for it to work at all really. Need to be REALLY close to the subject you are taking a photo of. Seems like a lazy persons camera that don't want to take the time to create a good composition when they are shooting the picture. I just think it's a gimmick. not a single person that I have personally met that played with one was interested in it longer than 20 minutes and not a single one planned on buying one.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Lytro pretty much came and went with the dslr//shallow dop fad. Well, at least if you consider the general commercial market like people
    snapping picks of their hamster or whatnot.

But, the base tech might have some relevancy in some weird applications like machine vision or other very specialized fields.
    I have a hard time to see how that could enter the commercial market in its present form, as an "camera for masses" but
    technology has it extremely bizarre way of shaping its own niche in ways we cant necessary anticipate.
    There has been more than few of those oddballs...

The floggings will continue until morale improves.