Page 29 of 275 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Remounted 2 pairs of DPS last night due to ever-shortening boots. No pics unfortunately as I was afraid of epoxying my phone.
    I've used a modified version of Jondrum's template printed on semi transparent paper and re-used since it worked so well the first time.
    The interesting frankenmount was the heel piece of the Lotus 120s which had been drilled once for Dukes (??, not my mount) and once for Dyna ST10s. I needed to move the binding about 2 cm forward and didn't have too many options so I ended up putting inserts in the plugged rear holes of the Dukes (same exact hole spacing, what are the chances). I measured everything 4 times to make sure that these holes were lined up and centered then re-drilled the holes to clear the epoxy. Enlarging the 4.1 mm holes with the 1/4" bit worked well and the hole seemed to be all wood (no epoxy sidewall). I was worried about the tapping part since I had only done it with a drill press but after practicing a bit on hard wood (oak for the chimney) I felt pretty good about mounting the tap on the drill and using the slowest possible speed for the skis. Three out of four holes came out perfect, the last had a couple of threads crumble when I went too deep. The inserts threaded in fine though with the expected amount of resistance. I'm horrible at drilling straight holes so one of the insert has a 10 degrees tilt. I used a 5/32" bit (3.97 mm) for the front 2 holes and used dynafit screws epoxied in place. I lined up everything with the boot in place and cranked the screws, no issues to speak of, alignment seemed perfect. I'd definitely want a drilling/tapping guide if I was putting holes in new skis though...
    The 120 mount was for dukes. Glad the skis are still serving you well!
    Aggressive in my own mind

EPF tours on carbon concepts. It was the easiest thing I did all day.

I started mounting my own fucking skis with paper templates due to this thread and wanted to share one of the things that added to my confidence... http://www.amazon.com/Milescraft-131...dp/B00F1ZJFZK/ Much cheaper than Big Gator Tools one and worked just fine for the three mounts that I've used it on.

Mounted a pair of Ski Logik Howitzers with Dynafit Speed Radical bindings. Here are a few observations:

1.) I couldn't find anywhere online how deep to drill. I went 3/8" (9.5mm) with no issues (no base dimpling). Skis are about 12mm thick in the mounting area.
    2.) The wood core of these skis is HARD. I used a 5/32" (4.0mm) drill bit and still had a hell of a time driving the screws, but they did go and all are tight.
    3.) I used a silicon based adhesive instead of epoxy or wood glue. I thought epoxy would be too strong if I ever decide to pull the mount and put in inserts, and I thought regular wood glue would deteriorate with water and allow water into the core. Can't say yet whether this decision was good or not...

For those who are interested, there is a much more complete write up here: http://exploringtherockies.com/2015/...step-tutorial/

Finished product:
    Last edited by COBuckeye; 05-28-2015 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zeroforhire View Post
    ^ sexy
    Agreed!!
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

I've been lurking for a few years but wanted to say thanks for this thread. Mounted my own fucking skis in large part because of the information here. (Also because it's apparently not possible to get skis mounted at a shop in less than a week in the Bay Area outside of resort season.)

I was using a mix of Alpinord's instructions on his site, along with Lou's Dynafit mounting instructions (cross-referencing the guidelines from DPS). It was a little terrifying taking a drill to a new pair of Wailers, but everything turned out great.

Some notes:

I initially tried to take the quick and easy way out per Lou's instructions, using a 5/32" drill bit from the local hardware store with a drill stop, and not tapping the thread. But that was no good with the Wailers, so I ended up ordering a proper 4.1x9mm alpine drill bit with a 12ab thread tap.

I had one minor spinner (screw went in all the way but wouldn't tighten down all the way after I was a little overzealous the first time with it) which I repaired with steel wool and 24-hour epoxy. I thought I'd be able to tighten it a tiny bit more after the epoxy set, but it's not moving at all at this point. I'll keep an eye on it, but there's no play in the binding as it is.

Was the spinner in the heel or toe?

Quote Originally Posted by RockinB View Post
    Was the spinner in the heel or toe?
    Front left screw of the heel...

Is 15mm (hole center to hole center) the suggested minimum spacing for inserts?

I want to mount a pair of Guardians with some inserts, but the skis have already been mounted with the traditional Salomon 4 screw toe pieces. I printed out some jigs and when I overlay them, the front two holes appear to match up but the rear two are only 10mm apart. (The rear most would be the guardian's holes if it matters).

I want to avoid moving my mount point if at all possible.

Any ideas? Sollyplates don't take Guardians. CAST system would use existing holes, but is also discouragingly expensive (I calculate $630+$220 for each additional pair of skis vs ~$250 for the Guardians). I ride alpine boots and will continue to do so for the time being. I'm sure I'm overlooking something, but I'm stumped at the moment.

I would move something back/forward/sideways in another parallel universe so I had more room between inserts or wtf
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I would mount it. Not ideal but likely ok. If you move it you run into same problem with front holes. Use an epoxy you can drill, tap, sand, etc. to fill the holes maybe...
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I've done mounts that have holes closer than that. Never had a spinner or one pull out. Fill old holes with epoxy and a hike plug. Mount 'em and go.

I vote to go for it as well. If you're careful, your skis will be fine.

Thanks.

I had been planning on putting inserts in for both the current bindings and Guardians, but going Guardians only might be smart. It would certainly cut down on the required space. Thanks for spotting my oversight.

Mounting +1.5 or -1.5cm would also work, but I like the skis at 0. Skis don't magically tour better at +1.5cm do they? If I had to move my mount point it would be forward not back on this particular ski.

Also, for the old holes, if you fill them with hardwood plugs and epoxy, any potential overlap should be no big deal:

http://www.slidewright.com/proddetai...prod=KW024-183

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGortex View Post
    Skis don't magically tour better at +1.5cm do they?
    Skis tour better mounted further back so there's less tail - whether they ski decently is another matter.

Little wood dowels it is then. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Skis tour better mounted further back so there's less tail - whether they ski decently is another matter.
    Why is that? I would think more tail = more surface area for the skins to grab...
    (Just asking...I don't have experience with multiple touring rigs)

^^^ at some point, you're going to need to turn around
    Last edited by tuco; 06-10-2015 at 05:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dschane View Post
    Also, for the old holes, if you fill them with hardwood plugs and epoxy, any potential overlap should be no big deal:

http://www.slidewright.com/proddetai...prod=KW024-183
    Since you have to cut them anyway, might as well get 4mm hardwood dowel rod from a model ship building supply store. Cheap and a better fit (hole is filled with wood and hardly any epoxy all the way to the bottom) than tapered plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    Why is that? I would think more tail = more surface area for the skins to grab...
    Like tuco says, less tail makes a big difference when uphill kick turning. The grip is concentrated under your heel to about maybe a foot in back of your boot, extra length doesn't stick better (check out the skins most racers use, cut short of the tail and with no tail clip/strap).

I've never mounted skis before. I have a few beater skis to practice on. The pair I want to mount (Rossingol s7 pro) were drilled for a Marker jr. binding but never skied. I have a brand new pair of Look Pivot 12's that I would like to mount. One obstacle that I have is that I don't know exactly what size boot my 13 yr. old son will be come November, which led me to think about how demo bindings are mounted. Is there a special plate that I would have to get. Would it be worth the money to mount this way or just wait till Oct./Nov. when he will have the new boots? (His birthday is in July and wanted to give him the skis with bindings already mounted but it's not a deal breaker). Thanks.

Wait for boots, print template, mount skis later. Be greatest dad ever.

just give him an envelope with a card and picture of the skis
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know