Page 25 of 275 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast
    I mounted my friends fucking skis last night. And his girlfriend's pair.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

This thread has given me a Rx to relax and myofs.
    I love my family. Kids are the best.
    http://www.praxisskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    So a friend of mine has decided not to go to the shop he used to go to for most things... prices and service being shit. He tried to take skis to another shop to move bindings from one pair of skis to another and they said they couldn't do it because they don't have a jig. First of all, that's weak sauce. So I said I'd do it for some beer... he saves money and doesn't have to go back to the original shop he doesn't want to give business to any more.

So... when I was taking the bindings off I solidified my resolve to never pay someone else to mount a pair of my skis, ever… even if I don’t have a mount template I think I’d rather take my time and figure it out than pay some fucktard.

Here’s why:

When I was removing the screws on the toe of the first ski, at least one screw was not all the way in. I say at least because it never occurred to me to look for more than one… until I already had one binding off and was removing the other and saw 3 loose on the other ski’s toe piece. I have never seen this before so I have a hard time accepting that they all backed out on their own… probably just never tightened down enough. That’s both scary from a binding rip-out perspective but also from a performance perspective, since the toe would be sloppy. And the bindings are already-sloppy Fritschi's, so I'm surprised he could even ski on them!

When I was removing the heels, there are 3 long screws and 1 short screw for each heel… it’s quite obvious where the short screw should go when you look at the thickness of the plastic baseplate where the 4 holes go. On both heels they had put the short screw where one of the long ones should go, meaning there was maybe 1 thread engaged instead of the 4 there should be. Which means there was a long screw where a short one should be. Result is that one screw is more likely to rip out because it doesn't have enough bite, and one screw is too deep into the ski and might have resulted in a high spot on the base because it went deeper in to the ski than the hole was drilled.

On top of that, and I assume they used a jig, the holes were very slightly to the left side of the ski. That you will honestly probably never notice, but when I do mine by hand they are less than 0.5mm off centre.

So basically, on the original mount he paid good money to a shop to do a shitfuck job. He just thought they were too expensive and kind of douchey when he made the decision to boycott... not that they actively sucked at what they do.

Jesus.

I'll say it again for posterity:

Mount your own fucking skis! That is all.
    No one cares more than you!
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    amen
    spent some where near 75 hours the past cybersales consumption days in front of a bench
    wastin my life crankin out a hundy a day
    if skiing conditions were good i'd be pissed
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Plus, if you mount 'em yourself you dictate whether to be high or sober when you do the job.

Pro tip: Never take them to a shop for a mount on a snowy day after payday: you're likely to get a pissed off tech high on something.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I'm sure there are good techs out there, but I won't know if they're good or not unless something goes wrong... or like in this case, I remove old bindings to re-mount.

At least when it's me I know exactly what's going on with the skis and the mount. Nobody cares (nor should they) about my skis as much as I do.

Edit to add: the shop in question is probably one that most people would call reputable... so just saying to take it somewhere reputable you trust breaks down here.
    Last edited by Shorty_J; 12-03-2014 at 01:04 PM.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by zeroforhire View Post
    Just get a jigarex. Money well spent.
    Was debating getting one of these. Will any of their Salomon plates fit older all metal 916s? Also, what the heck are dynafit adjustment plates? If Im mounting Beast 16s can I just order the beast 16 jig or do I need that adjustment plate for something as well? I emailed and haven't gotten a reply so I ask here

This place is the best! Mounted my own fucking skis tonight for the first time. After reading this thread all the way through I am proud to say my first mount went without a single problem. Mounted 14/15 Dukes on the line for 307bsl on a set of 14/15 Atomic Automatic 186. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1417755266.078639.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	767.8 KB 
ID:	161090

Made sure to do it the TGRight way and drink beer during the process as well. I built the bench on Saturday too. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1417755524.233756.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	800.0 KB 
ID:	161091

Quote Originally Posted by couloirman View Post
    Will any of their Salomon plates fit older all metal 916s?
    The STH plate will work for all the Z and 900 series bindings, probably the 700 and 800 series too.

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    This place is the best! Mounted my own fucking skis tonight for the first time. After reading this thread all the way through I am proud to say my first mount went without a single problem. Mounted 14/15 Dukes on the line for 307bsl on a set of 14/15 Atomic Automatic 186. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1417755266.078639.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	767.8 KB 
ID:	161090

Made sure to do it the TGRight way and drink beer during the process as well. I built the bench on Saturday too. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1417755524.233756.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	800.0 KB 
ID:	161091
    Looking good! That wing set on the wall is sweet

Add me to the list ...
    I have a few good shops around who were all like 7 days deep in mount jobs. Motivation.
    STH2s on my 185cm 9D8s, for a 330bsl, following the same straight forward direction all up in this awesome thread.

- found center line
    - used a template I found here (two front toe holes needed to be 2mm wider (42mm vs 40mm) so I'm glad I double checked everything)
    - sharp punch to mark the hole
    - set drill bit to correct depth, DRILL BABY (panic)
    - glue, screw, have a brew
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141204_230142[1].jpg 
Views:	818 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	161097   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141204_230129[1].jpg 
Views:	993 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	161098  
    Last edited by N1CK.; 12-05-2014 at 12:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    Add me to the list ...
    I have a few good shops around who were all like 7 days deep in mount jobs. Motivation.
    STH2s on my 185cm 9D8s, for a 330bsl, following the same straight forward direction all up in this awesome thread.

- found center line
    - used a template I found here (two front toe holes needed to be 2mm wider (42mm vs 40mm) so I'm glad I double checked everything)
    - sharp punch to mark the hole
    - set drill bit to correct depth, DRILL BABY (panic)
    - glue, screw, have a brew
    Ya boy! Praxis set up! Those skis are awesome.

Thanks. There's a handful more sets on that wall. One set is just over 4 feet wide. Biggest bird I've ever shot. Mounting my own stuff was great too. I don't plan on shop mounts anymore.

I was worried that trying this on my new-to-me Wailer Pure 112s was going to be a classic JONG fuckup. It was not - got some tech talk help on the mount location and successfully mounted 2 pairs up right on the kitchen counter.

New setup:

Awesome. Never going back to a shop for this.

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    Those are some nice looking sticks.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Thanks. I think so too.

Quote Originally Posted by Metric22 View Post
    I was worried that trying this on my new-to-me Wailer Pure 112s was going to be a classic JONG fuckup. It was not - got some tech talk help on the mount location and successfully mounted 2 pairs up right on the kitchen counter.

New setup:

this.
    Need some STH brakes?
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Got 'em... hadn't bothered to install yet. Good eye.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    .... cool story bro......

Jesus.

I'll say it again for posterity:

Mount your own fucking skis! That is all.
    sounds like you mounted someone elses skis
    good on ya not quite as good as teachin him how to dyi, been teachin some noobs at work some people have the knack and pick it up fast
    i don't pretend its anything much other than it is drilling a few holes and screwing down binders
    for me it's a job i do for funtickets, thing i do for bros a nug or adult party favors
    it grows old at times but there is that possibility that a set of them skis i mounted is gonna end up on the feet of someone who having those skis the freedom truth and pleasure they provide is gonna cause them to make life changing decisions based around them two implements of fun
    Just as some tech mounted them kastles my pops laid under the xmass tree some 45 years ago.
    little did i know the power and i wonder if that tech knew.
    MOUNT SOMEONE ELSE'S SKIS
    as well as your own
    the future of the sport is based somewhat on that cycle
    oh timbers i can't believe you think you can dispense "pro" tips
    i'm so much better at pretending to be pro than you
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    sounds like you mounted someone elses skis
    good on ya not quite as good as teachin him how to dyi, been teachin some noobs at work some people have the knack and pick it up fast
    i don't pretend its anything much other than it is drilling a few holes and screwing down binders
    for me it's a job i do for funtickets, thing i do for bros a nug or adult party favors
    it grows old at times but there is that possibility that a set of them skis i mounted is gonna end up on the feet of someone who having those skis the freedom truth and pleasure they provide is gonna cause them to make life changing decisions based around them two implements of fun
    Just as some tech mounted them kastles my pops laid under the xmass tree some 45 years ago.
    little did i know the power and i wonder if that tech knew.
    MOUNT SOMEONE ELSE'S SKIS
    as well as your own
    the future of the sport is based somewhat on that cycle
    oh timbers i can't believe you think you can dispense "pro" tips
    i'm so much better at pretending to be pro than you
    truth........

I asked this in the Plum thread as well, so apologies for the double post, but it's more of a mounting question, so...

Thinking of mounting some radical toes on skis previously drilled for plum guides. The most forward toe holes on the radicals are 12.5 mm forward of the plum holes (center to center). The rear holes on the toes are shared.

I've heard the rule of thumb of 10 mm between holes. Is this center to center or 10 mm of space edge to edge? 12.5 mm center to center leaves about 8 mm between holes edge to edge. Is this OK for a remount?

Quote Originally Posted by whatsupdoc View Post
    I've heard the rule of thumb of 10 mm between holes. Is this center to center or 10 mm of space edge to edge? 12.5 mm center to center leaves about 8 mm between holes edge to edge. Is this OK for a remount?

When I was stressing out about it/googling for info on my mount, I came across this BD experiment that gave me some peace of mind.

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/...lled-skis.html

Their empirical results were 100% pullout strength at >=7mm center to center. Of course your results and risk tolerance may vary... but having just done it, 12.5mm center to center would definitely be enough safety margin in my mind. Mine were closer to 9mm and there are no apparent issues, althought I'll be keeping an eye on them.

Cool, missed that link somehow. Thanks.

When I was stressing out about it/googling for info on my mount, I came across this BD experiment that gave me some peace of mind.

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/...lled-skis.html

Their empirical results were 100% pullout strength at >=7mm center to center. Of course your results and risk tolerance may vary... but having just done it, 12.5mm center to center would definitely be enough safety margin in my mind. Mine were closer to 9mm and there are no apparent issues, althought I'll be keeping an eye on them.

Their empirical results were 100% pullout strength at >=7mm center to center.
    AKA one hole-width between the edges of the old and new holes, as has been taught forever. Good to see some data to back it up.

I remounted my own fucking skis this week, reusing the old front Look holes for a new Salomon mount like I was asking about a few pages back. Success.

Quote Originally Posted by whatsupdoc View Post
    Thinking of mounting some radical toes on skis previously drilled for plum guides. The most forward toe holes on the radicals are 12.5 mm forward of the plum holes (center to center). The rear holes on the toes are shared. I've heard the rule of thumb of 10 mm between holes. Is this center to center or 10 mm of space edge to edge? 12.5 mm center to center leaves about 8 mm between holes edge to edge. Is this OK for a remount?
    I would do it. Actually, I did do it.