Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Worst snowbird opening week ever..?

Granted, I've only been doing utah trips since the 80's, but I've never seen such a poor showing for snowbird's opening week. One lower mountain chairlift? Really?

Bummer, because that made it the first trip we've all done sans the bird. Sure I'm gonna have me some bird on the dining table tomorrow, but it just wasn't the same, ya knw. Any insiders know what's up?

Btw, alta, sollytude, and brighton each had at least 4 different lifts running when they opened earlier this month, so low snow shouldn't be an excuse. Besides, if they wanna continue reporting those new and improved snow totals they gots to keep up appearances. Just saying.

But seriously, this is apparently the very first time they've ever opened with just one lift, have they got machinery or labor issues or something?

Tram crash today. Busted windows and buggered sheet metal.
    Outside of that, the snow hasn't been stellar. And they tangled all the tower pads, and spent the last week trying to find the key to the tram.
    Like you have never lost your keys. Sheesh.

Granted, I've only been doing utah trips since the 80's, but I've never seen such a poor showing for snowbird's opening week. One lower mountain chairlift? Really?

Bummer, because that made it the first trip we've all done sans the bird. Sure I'm gonna have me some bird on the dining table tomorrow, but it just wasn't the same, ya knw. Any insiders know what's up?
    There's 25 inches of snow. You really scheduled a ski trip in early November? Snowbird has much steeper, rockier terrain and doesn't really have four chairlifts worth of man made groomers. Come back in February.

shit happens. the only thing i am pissed about is the total lack of communication on snowbird's part. instead of letting these wild rumors circulate, just come out and say what happened!

Quote Originally Posted by powski3 View Post
    There's 25 inches of snow. You really scheduled a ski trip in early November? Snowbird has much steeper, rockier terrain and doesn't really have four chairlifts worth of man made groomers. Come back in February.
    Ah, young padowan.. so much yet to learn. Hasty judgments of something you know so little result only in your loss.
    The second half of November produces the greatest ratio of powder depth to skier density. Please feel free to carry on with your reality. Nothing to see here.

Agreed there are years that post Thanksgiving week in LCC or super fun. There are others that are better subsidized via booze

Hmmm. I remember a few years ago they were bussing people over to Solly over Thanksgiving weekend 'caure the Bird didn't have anything open..
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Regarding Alta, I skied freshies all day today...faceshots ect. Just had to work for it. It's pretty obvious to everyone that Alta has better snow, less wind, and better powder skiing terrain than snowbirds rocky as fuck corporate bullshit.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    ^^^park shitty to
    b righton had no water so a week or two of just soli

dude come back in feb it might dump two feet
    and maybe this time youll get more than chicadee for your most epic dump day
    which is one more lift than illta managed that day
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by BLOWhERPOW View Post
    Regarding Alta, I skied freshies all day today...faceshots ect. Just had to work for it. It's pretty obvious to everyone that Alta has better snow, less wind, and better powder skiing terrain than snowbirds rocky as fuck corporate bullshit.
    I want in on that shit mang. fucking nazis.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

If you don't know why(icluding EC gleeskier) you should all go intercourse yourselves.

blah, blah, blah.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    I want in on that shit mang. fucking nazis.
    skiing even 3 yo can do it
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

The Tram was to have bearings replaced, but they sent the wrong ones. They had to be machined locally or it would have been March before any of us would have been taking the boat up. They got them fixed and were shooting for a Thursday opening until the blue boat hit tower 4 and busted out some windows. So it will probably be Saturday when you will be able to ride the Tram up.

I have been up for a much less enjoyable opening weekend than this years. At least it looks like winter up there. Two years ago, there was only a man made strip on Big Emma and Bassackwards. No snow off trail, still looked like fall up there. The snow on Monday made for a really fun early season pow day. And you know with the Bird, winter is going to show up and kick our ass, it always does.
    Christian Paul- Landscapes and Astrophotography

Backpacking by summer, splitboarding by winter!

Photography Web Site: http://www.christianpaulphotography.com/

Photography Blog: http://seekingshambhala.blogspot.com/

Well this all blows. I am still scarred from MLK weekend last year when it rained to the summit and then turned to glacial ice.

heard they have to take snowbird center apart and change the bullwheels on the tram. sorry suckers. plus the mountain sucks ass under 9000 feet, whats the point?

Quote Originally Posted by smuggs View Post
    heard they have to take snowbird center apart and change the bullwheels on the tram. sorry suckers. plus the mountain sucks ass under 9000 feet, whats the point?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jokerserious.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	104346

Update on the Tram: Last window is being installed as I type and then we'll run a few test trips. When the Tram opens we'll have skiing and riding on Regulator. We're holding off on Peruvian Gulch until we have a little more cover. Many thanks to the mechanics who spent their Thanksgiving working on the Tram.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDruggist View Post
    Ah, young padowan.. so much yet to learn. Hasty judgments of something you know so little result only in your loss.
    The second half of November produces the greatest ratio of powder depth to skier density. Please feel free to carry on with your reality. Nothing to see here.
    Real March/April/May statistics make your "reality" questionable. If you're going to preach at least keep it in perspective.

Deer valley is number one in skier mag, they said so
    But seriously just skip Utah, nothing to see here
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Bitching and moaning about opening day.....so hot right now
    So local it hurts...

^^^ I was gonna say same thing. It's 65 degrees in NYC today.
    northern lights and southern comfort...

Quote Originally Posted by smuggs View Post
    Yeah. Dalton's, the chutes, and Defiance/Thunder Bowl are just terrible areas to ski.

I'm staring at my skis right now but the only thing getting used around here for now is my bike. Not complaining tho, having 60 degree temps and red rock riding 45 minutes away and 3000 ft. below sure is nice!

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingArizona View Post
    I'm staring at my skis right now but the only thing getting used around here for now is my bike. Not complaining tho, having 60 degree temps and red rock riding 45 minutes away and 3000 ft. below sure is nice!
    I remember those days well.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	194841-largest_28749.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	104422

This thread is ridiculous. Just pretend they're closed, go somewhere else, and come back when it's good again.

God....some folks can complain about anything. Friggin a plus first world problem here. Get over it.

EDIT: i'm talking to the OP... i know most of the mags in here know how to make teh funz happen
    Last edited by gpetrics; 11-26-2011 at 10:15 AM.
    "Whenever I get a massage, I ALWAYS request a dude." -lionelhutz

"You can't shave off stupid." -lionelhutz

"I was hoping for ice." -lionelhutz

"It's simple science." -lionelhutz