Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2012 PM Gear Bro 183 Fat Carbons.....FKNA!

Just returned from the PM Gear factory in beautiful eastern Reno NV. Splat is the man. Can I say that enough? Splat is the man.

I purchased a pair of 183 Fats back in June, a special order extra stiff version that was never delivered to its original owner. I have definitely been enjoying the shit out of those things. They have been rallied about in slush and icy sun cups all summer, with a few rocky traverses and waterfall descents thrown in for fun (not that i can hold a candle to Powdork).

Recent snows have shown that these skis are just as fun in winter conditions too. In fact they were so fun, i got my pass clipped chasing powder at Boreal last weekend!

The stats are roughly 114 underfoot with not a ton of side cut and a touch of early rise. The nearly full carbon construction makes these things lighter than crap (less than 4 pounds a ski for a big ski), but also carrying plenty of stiffness and torsional rigidity for just cranking up the volume to 11.

Well those original 183s developed a very minor cosmetic defect this summer and Splat had promised a fix or replacement...and my visit to the factory today left me stoked for sure. Here's the pics...the first pair of publicly released carbon topped PM Gear Bro 183 Fats. These skis are just ridiculous in every way...i know they kill it in the performance department, and oh so light and pretty. You should go buy some....now. Did i say Splat is the man?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0915.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	288.2 KB 
ID:	104165Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0916.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	333.7 KB 
ID:	104166Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0917.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	378.7 KB 
ID:	104167Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0918.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	273.6 KB 
ID:	104168

Yes yes yes.
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

Sweet.
    Please, Please, Please Let it Snow!

they sure are purty!
    Aggressive in my own mind

NIce, got the 179 carbons this summer and am dying to get on them.

those look like a lot of fun
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

Those are pretty hot if I do say so myself.
    Training for Alpental

beautiful skis!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Hey, G2A, thanks for dropping by to get the first pair of the 183 Fat. There are 179 Bros, 179 Lhasa, 183 Fat, 186 Lhasa and 191 Fat Lhasa demos at Tahoe Dave's in Tahoe City if anyone wants to demo them. Trying to get a maggot discount going there. We'll also be dropping some off at the Ski Renter in Mammoth this week. Maggot rates there. Dave's has many of the skis in the racks in Tahoe City, too. Gotta get a good pic of those tops. No diss on G2A's photo skills, but those look about a thousand times better in person and ski like the regular 183 on steroids for people who can ski 'em like they stole 'em.

The maggot 15% discount code is floating around in a couple threads between here and gear swap...

those are very pretty skis, splat. congrats!

Gotta say ... these are the first Bros that I actually thought were attractive. Keep up the innovation, and the hard work. You're doing it right.

Quote Originally Posted by f2f View Post
    those are very pretty skis, splat. congrats!
    As fancy-schmansy as that carbon fiber looks, it's utilitarian as hell. Still haven't been able to get a pic that shows it's depth and detail. But if it wasn't so damn functional, I'm not sure I could bring myself to use it purely for cosmetics. It lies well within my form with function parameters.

Well I will say again, I have skied the hell out of last years model and that carbon has true mojo. I cannot find conditions that I don't like with those skis...okay, well if i wanted to do some fancy nose butter park maneuver thing the kids are always talking about. Today they were just great on grey ice at Squaw. No wonder the east coasters love Bros.

Hit many rocks today so i am gonna be patient in getting the new boards mounted and running. Those skis are durable as fuck though...Line Prophets would have looked like they were attacked by a cheese grater today, the Bros got a few more light scratches.

Carbon Fiber is just beautiful. I kind of miss working with it.
    watch out for snakes

Nice g2a. I am thinking i need some of those bad boys!

Some questions about the top sheet though. I have had a weird issue with my older 179 top sheets: snow stickiness. More than any ski I have had, snow sticks to the top sheet. It sticks like superglue and piles up quickly. On the lifts I could care less but I tour on these too and I am slow enough with out having to carry a couple of pounds of snow up with me. Waxing the top sheet or spraying it with non stick helpes a bit but is a PITA.

Pat, are these new top sheets or the same as the OG clear top sheets?
    "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will..."

I know what you mean Kona. That issue was no bueño with my Ski Logiks. The last year Bro's are not a problem so far, snow slides off just fine. I will let you know when I get the new one mounted...and have some new snow to stick to them.

The tops are the same nylon as G2A has on his last year's Bros. Those ones that you have - are they the dimpled tops, kona, or the original clear from like 5-6 years ago? This material is different than both.

Splat/All,

You can get a discount at Dave's in Tahoe city if you sing the University of Michigan fight song on the intercom. Hail to the Victors! If you're wondering, yes, Dave is a Wolverine. M Go Blue!
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

Thanks both of you. Ya, mine are from like five or 6 years ago so great news!
    "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will..."

Hey Splat, I hope you'll describe the current lineup either here or on your website. I mean, we don't need full ad-copy writeups but just a few lines comparing the models to one another. There are a few models that could work great for me, and based on my Superbro love and the PMG prejudice that comes with it I want to dive in. I was aiming at the 183s but that was before I read about the 187 Fats, which appear to have an even-bigger sweet spot.

You could write a post here with the info then link it on your sig line with "2011-12 models in brief" or something. It could save you some writing...

There is a table on the website with ski dimensions that might need an update. The 183 and 187 Fat Bros should have a sidecut like the 179s and tail width of 179 Fats (yes?), i.e. 130mm, but the table says 120. Also I've tried to find out if the 188s have any front rocker, etc. Just a suggestion.

Yo, whippersnapper....you're right. The site gets updated this week or next and that dims chart will get replaced with a more reliable one. Just waiting to take the photos that go on the ski pages, get them posted and update everything. Thanks for the bump on that.

I've have just about every ski ever made by PMGear and my favorite was last year's prototype 187. It wasn't always the best at everything, but for all around it was my daily choice.

swissbro - your new 183s ship tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by swissbro View Post
    I've have just about every ski ever made by PMGear and my favorite was last year's prototype 187. It wasn't always the best at everything, but for all around it was my daily choice.

I have to echo that statement, I have the prototype 183 carbon fat BROs and they are probably the best all around ski ever for me. They have an uncanny ability to ski like a really big ski when you open 'em up and want to go fast/make big turns, but when you're in the tight trees they also unweight and turn in a manner I previously reserved for 5-point and pintailed skis. They're fun in pow and no slouch on hardpack either. SUPER impressed with them. Then factor in how light they are and it's a no-brainer to tour on these, which I did a bunch of and loved them for it. LOVE THESE SKIS!

I just wish mine had the sexy CF tops. They're just so gorgeous and would look so good with my plums mounted on them. I know, I'm splitting hairs but I'm a gear whore and I appreciate the details. I can't help it. Anyways, keep up the great work Pat, every time I think you've made something as good as it can be you go ahead and make it better, sexier and more enjoyable. As taxing as that is on my wallett, it sure is fun to watch!

edit: dibs on some cf topped 183 fat bro blems!
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

They're shipping out as fast as we can make them, Do Work, but I'll keep an eye for some blems...