Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Its kinda awesome that every year we have new people professing that Splat is, in fact, the man.

Its sucks that independent / boutique ski manufactures tend to be "flavors of the week" in the mass media. I remember PMGear got magazine / general public play back in the day... but now they're found newer companies (incredibly some of which I've never heard of!).
    Its a shame. I've always enjoyed my various PMGear skis and you can't talk with Pat without laughing your ass off.

Sick. Does PMGear have any stickers with the BRO logo in Arabic (or whatever that is)?

Hey, Pickles....yeah, it's pretty interesting to see the indies bustin out all over. Most peeps seem to be racing to make the cheapest skis possible. We're bustin hump to make the best skis possible. That Head/Audi ski that had the same carbon fiber on top that we do was going to sell for, like, $6K a pair. Hope we didn't burst their bubble. In the future, I think you 'll see the hybrids everywhere for the people who can tell the difference in the ski and how it performs. Our skis are still all very much all mountain/big mountain oriented. We got a little pub in Tahoe magazine this month, though, and we're doing an art show next week in Tahoe City. The skis will hang on the walls of Fat Cat Cafe for three days of an exhibition and then they'll stay there until January 7. But really, we just have great skis with great art.

Since this is a thread about the 183s, there is a good review 1000-oaks posted over on our website here:
    http://pmgear.com/index.php?option=c...d=4&id=130#130

RootSkier - That's the Tibetam/Buddhist OM symbol that says Bro. It has been trademarked widely, but we got it for skis. The sticker trademark was already scooped, so we're just sticking with the FKNA stickers, which we ownerized.

183 FKNA Fatties

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0068.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	428.5 KB 
ID:	105940   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0069.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	389.4 KB 
ID:	105941  

just got a pair of 179 Lhasa Pows for the wife. Got em mounted this week with some Axels and she is gonna ski em tomorrow. Hopefully we'll get some snow soon and we can really get a good review. The things are beautiful for sure.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

I need to change my shorts after scrolling through and seeing those.

Name:  tibetan om.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  2.8 KBSplat, that is the Sanskrit Hindu Om. This is the Tibetan
    picador

Yes, my explanation is somewhat simplified.
    We've actually discussed the origins at length here before, when we started using it, and the Hindu symbol is used widely in Tibet. Apparently, this mountain plays into it.

Tester: Swissbro
    Stats: 5’11”, 185 lbs., Old
    Conditions: 9 days between Snowbird, Alta, and Solitude, and a couple in Michigan. Snow firm to icy with one day of new, 8”, at Alta.
    Ski: Bro 183 hybrid carbons Fats
    Bindings: Salomon 914s on Freedom plates
    Boots: Lange RX130

I skied the prototype 183 Fats last season for about 30 days in Utah and Switzerland during the winter, and at Mt Hood during June and July. I liked them, but felt they were a touch soft in the tips for me. They initiated turns effortlessly, railed well, and held an edge on boilerplate snow, but lacked just a touch of stability at high speed.

The finished product for 2011-2012 does everything as good or better than the proto from last year, plus it is stable at any speed I take it. Splat told me they added a layer of heavier glass that stiffened the ski and added a bit of weight. It did the trick; however, it retains that carbon pop that is addicting.

Since there was little new snow in the 9 days I’ve skied them, I’ve really got to assess how they handle firm to icy conditions and moguls. IMHO, they are the best mogul skis PM Gear has ever made. I own the original 179s, 188s, and the Euro 183s and the 183 Fat does a better job in big, hard bumps than anything that proceeded them. They get my vote for best all mountain skis along with the 187 Fat proto from last year.

We're considering building some 183 Fats in all carbon layups as we do our last run of them in a week or so. Weight would come in around 3.6 lbs. per ski. If anyone is interested gimme a shout. Sick lightweight pow/spring skinning skis.

must resist...

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    We're considering building some 183 Fats in all carbon layups as we do our last run of them in a week or so. Weight would come in around 3.6 lbs. per ski. If anyone is interested gimme a shout. Sick lightweight pow/spring skinning skis.
    Those sound $$$, in more ways than one.

Thumbs up

The Skis: 2011 PMGEAR BRO 183 Fats (Orange)

Specs: 136/112/126
    Rocker/ splay: 352 mm back from tip
    Tip height: 75 mm
    Semi twin tail height: 15 mm
    Flex: Stiff

Skiier: Height- 6'3" Weight- 185. Park and freeride skier who loves to have fun and charge the mountain with tons of speed and power.
    Conditions: Michigan.... slush, ice, corn, mash potato, and man made snow are about all we have had so far this winter, yet theses skis tore threw all that crap and have held strong all season.

Skis I like: Armada JJ's, K2 Hell Bents, Line EP Pros, and now BRO 183 FATS!!

These skis are absolutely ridiculous. The first time i laid eyes on them I blew them off, and thought never in a million years would they be ridden in northern Michigan. But the first opportunity i had to try them they took me completely by surprise, I'm used to the typical small, all mountain twin tip that everyone in Michigan rides. The BRO 183 Fat is an excellent resort ski, its stability will blast threw crud and blown snow, excel on groomers, and slash all the pow lines you can handle. Once you initiate a carve on these skis it shoots you down the mountain with the playfulness of a ski half its size. The size of the 183 Fats is very deceptive and creates the image of big mountains, cliffs and chutes. Where in reality it can do virtually anything, being so wide creates a solid platform that breaks through snow in any weather. Its stiffness allows for very precise turns that are made effortlessly with very quick control under foot. The camber of this ski creates a ride with no chatter or vibrations whatsoever, and make this ski the best all around ski I have ever ridden. Most of the skis I have ridden previous to this ski have been specifically geared toward a specific genre of conditions. This ski totally breaks down the barrier between a fun groomer ski and an all mountain cliff dropping bomb!
    So if you want to have fun skiing in these unpredictable winters get on the BRO 183 FATS and you will never regret it!

I would be very interested in some light ass 183 fats. Holy cow thats close to the 179's!
    I love the 179 lights for everything but bottomless feet of pow( and skied plenty of those days last year on um). 183 fat=solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    Do you have one of those gay ass stickers on your car? If so, I'll bet money youre an uptight passive aggressive fucktard that hates anyone different than them, yet loves to pay lip service to 'tolerance'.

People with coexist stickers are ALMOST as bad as tele skiers, although there is some overlap.

You'll need to get hold of me soon if you're interested, Zepp.
    There are only three or four pair of all carbon 183 Fats left and they are extremely siiiiick.
    If you're down this way, stop by for a drool.