TGR Forums (Not Responding)

Looks like there are still some attendant bugs in 'forums' part of website.

Today, everytime I try to go to www.tgr.com/forums, the system stops and I get a (Not Responding) message. I'm using Windows 7.

Same thing happens when I try getting to 'Forums' via the TGR main page and clicking on "Forums". The main TGR page seems to work fine, but it is the main "Forums" page that has problems (the one that lists ALL the various forums, not just the 80% of forums that show up under the 'Forums" header on the main page bar.

No matter which way, I try to access 'Forums' main page, 8 times out of 10 I get the "(Not Responding)" message. Right now I was able to get on as it I evidently lucked out with the 20% when it does allow me in.

I noticed there is now a new format in the "New Post" writing box...does this new format have anything to do with this problem?

--
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

hmm- anyone else having this issue? Alaskan- can you try clearing your browser cache? we updated the vbulletin system yesterday

Yup, same issue here. Only on the forums main page, things work OK once past it. Only when using IE, firefox works OK

Anytime I attempt to open the forum with internet explorer, it just locks the computer.
    What's up with that?
    I'm using Chrome, and it works fine. Problem is, I can't use chrome @ work.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    Anytime I attempt to open the forum with internet explorer, it just locks the computer.
    What's up with that?
    I'm using Chrome, and it works fine. Problem is, I can't use chrome @ work.
    What version of ie, gentlemen? we have tested on 9 and 8.

ie8 in my case, doesn't matter if I'm on 1 of 2 computers at home (XP and Vista) or work (Win 7).

Quote Originally Posted by tgrweb View Post
    What version of ie, gentlemen? we have tested on 9 and 8.

Happening to me on the latest version of chrome.

I'm running IE ver 8 at work. For some reason, my computer locks up whenever I try to open the main forums page. I got in this time by directly opening a post. So, it seems if I can get past the main page, things work.

both computers I have running IE8 lock up on the main forum page.
    I got through to the ski forum from a link on google and things have been working as long as I don't go to the main page.
    the quick navigation bar at the bottom of the page is my new go to.
    I am running win XP with all of windows updates installed (slow anyway)
    the advertisements loading on the forum front page seemed to be the hangup - they loaded slow before the changes, now they don't load at all.
    when I bypass the front page the adds seem to load a lot quicker.
    Last edited by SailCat; 11-22-2011 at 10:52 AM. Reason: more info

Quote Originally Posted by tgrweb View Post
    hmm- anyone else having this issue? Alaskan- can you try clearing your browser cache? we updated the vbulletin system yesterday
    I'm running IE 8, it looks like. My browser is set up to delete the cache after every session when I close the browser.

Looking into the "Internet Explorer (Not Responding)" deeper, I get this:

"Description:
    A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.
    Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: AppHangXProcB1
    Application Name: iexplore.exe
    Application Version: 8.0.7600.16700
    Application Timestamp: 4cd23213
    Hang Signature: 4eb7
    Hang Type: 32
    Waiting on Application Name: iexplore.exe
    Waiting on Application Version: 8.0.7600.16700"

if that's any help.

In my case, I'm running a Acer Aspire One netbook that only has 1 gig of memory and no way to expand to more memory. It's nearly brand new, but these, for some reason are capped at a 1 gig maximum memory.

Maybe this new version of VBulletin is more memory intensive, can that be it?

I'll try doing what sailCat does and bypass main forums page by clicking on a google link to whichever forum.

--

"The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:

Do your CPU utilization numbers spike, or is it just that IE hangs?

You might try disabling add-ons (you can do it through the menus, or run the file at this link, which will reset IE to a fresh config: http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9708413)
    Last edited by Captain Awesome; 11-22-2011 at 01:17 PM.

^
    one cpu goes to full in task manager. I get impatient and just kill IE after a minute or so.
    what does the file above do?
    I will try to disable add ons selectively (tools, manage add-ons) when I have some more time.

FIXED -YAY
    Last edited by SailCat; 11-22-2011 at 10:00 PM.

The file above resets IE to a clean install, basically (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...st-performance). Sorry, I should've clarified!

I'm running IE8 and have the same trouble with the forums page. Doesn't always freeze computer, but it takes forever (several minutes) to load. I disabled add ons and it helped a bit, but still very slow.

There was an issue from a recent update to VBulletin with IE7 and IE8 which we addressed today. It should be working smoothly again in those browsers.

just a note on another glitch:

when one goes to view profile the backgrounds are set to white making the content invisible

yea, no more lock up. thanks

Thanks TGRweb !! Whatever you did to address those IE7 and IE8 issues worked wonders! MUCH easier to get on now. Thanks for fixing it.

--

Posted by DJSapp:

Yep. All better.