Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Active Junky: Cash Back for online gear purchases

I looked around, but didn't see anything.
    I came across activejunky the other day.
    It looks like you get various cash back offers from different websites.
    BC.com is 10%
    moosejaw 7% etc.

You need to sign up for their website and use it as a portal to whichever shopping site.

You can sign up through my code
    http://www.activejunky.com/invite/1248/rob-pickels

or

bypass me completely and sign up at activejunky.com

Now when you buy gifts for the holidays, you can use the cashback for a lil somethin' for yourself and not feel guilty about it.

I signed up using your link. but it seems like the deal is only cash back through department of goods (which = small sized skis)

Is there a way to get a general 10% cashback on anything through bc? I cant seem to find it.

EDIT: nevermind, I found it. Thanks!

But does anyone know if you can combine these with bc.com coupon codes?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingleberry View Post
    pissing in a sink? fucking rookies. Shit in an oven, then you'll be pro.

Nice find. I loved the days when MS live had 12-24% cashback with coupons stacked on top.

Cue hundreds of jongs trying to spam their invite code all over the place in 3,2,1...

Signed up using your link, let's see how this works.

Hey guys, thanks for checking out ActiveJunky.com. monkeywrenchmoose you can get cash back from Backcountry, Department of Goods, REI, Patagonia, Steep and Cheap, TheClymb and about 100 other retailers. On the coupon code question, yes you can use coupon codes and still get cash back as long as the code isn't an employee or pro code or something like that. So how it works is we track all your purchases and we'll actually send you a check (or paypal payment) every 3 months for your cash back.

Let me know if you guys have anymore questions

Thanks for posting, Pickels. There should be another $10 coming your way!
    ...but hey, it's free advice on the internet, right? -Mustonen

^Bump for XTRPickles and ActiveJunky.

Just spent some time visiting with Kevin, CEO and Founder of Active Junky. Good people. I know plenty of maggots (myself included) that shop at the affiliate sites anyway so no reason not to sign up for this. I have certain things (tubes, energy bars etc.) I always stock up online and this is a nice way to make an already good deal even better.

I'll let Pickles get the referrals, but want to toss in a positive review a friends startup.

Does anyone have any input on the e-mail I just sent to Activejunky? Their step backwards is hopefully temporary.

Hello,

I'm having two problems relating to finding products on your site since your recent website redesign. I don't see any announcements on your web page. Are there any fixes in the works for either of the two issues I'm reporting below? I expect you'll need to forward this to the web team and I don't expect a personal answer, but an announcement on the website would be helpful for all who go there.

I mention this in the context of being fairly new to your website, having purchased only one item. Had my first experience of Activejunky been with your new site design, I would have never joined, and I suspect there are many others who would respond as I would.

1. Search engine downgrade:
    This is especially frustrating as I have no confidence that I'm retrieving accurate and complete results, as well as the best deal. In your previous website, the search was much more flexible and powerful in this regard. Here are some search examples in ski bindings:

• Searching on "Look Pivot" retrieves three stores carrying the Look Pivot 14 (and one carrying the Pivot 18). It does not show the bindings available on evo.com (do a google search & you'll find the Pivot 14 is available).
    • "Dynafit TLT Radical FT" returns several results, but "Dynafit Radical" shows no bindings on the first page, and the first binding to appear is the Beast model on the 2nd page.
    • Searching on "Fritschi Diamir Vipec" yields a few results. Searching on "Vipec" retrieves nothing.

2. Displayed results are cumbersome and inefficient. There is no obvious way to:

• to tailor the number results per page
    • to sort by price, relevance, etc.

Also, he list view is no better than the grid view in terms of increasing the number of displayed results per page. It's much more difficult to compare results than it was with your previous website.

Thanks for reading.

Cheers,
    Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 04-29-2015 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Search for the item on google outside of aj then go through aj for the purchase. I agree the search function sucks, but it's not difficult to work around.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Works for me. But I search outside sometimes
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Search for the item on google outside of aj then go through aj for the purchase. I agree the search function sucks, but it's not difficult to work around.
    Thanks, that's what I found myself doing. After posting, I updated my above post to be a bit more clear by pasting a copy of the e-mail I just sent them. If I get a relevant reply, I'll post it here.

The problem of course is that you're doing a lot of legwork to search the whole web for best price, and only then going to AJ for the added bonus. I suppose the good news is that (for ski gear) there is a limited number of "usual suspects" to check. In my update however, I noted that for the Look Pivot 14, they don't even show the binding available on evo.com (which it is, as of a few moments ago).

Clearly, it was a poorly run upgrade project and for their benefit (as well as ours) I'm hoping they'll straighten it out, 'coz as I mentioned in my e-mail, if I did not have previous experience and first became aware of their site in the past couple of weeks, I would never have signed up.

Cheers,
    Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 04-30-2015 at 11:59 AM.
    Galibier Design

You can add the item to your cart outside of aj then navigate to the site through aj and the items will still be in your cart.

Because bc.com has 12% cashback thru aj, the largest inventory, the largest selection, great customer service, and price matching... it does not make sense to shop anywhere else. So I just go aj->bc and shop.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Good point. Most roads lead to backcountry.com, especially when the 12% is taken into account.

Cheers,
    Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    You can add the item to your cart outside of aj then navigate to the site through aj and the items will still be in your cart.
    ^^This is the way to do it. Ive never used the search function on the Active Junky website other than to find if they are partnered with whatever site I'm about to order stuff from.
    "College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

I just received a response to my query, even though (in my e-mail) I didn't request one. They're very interested in improving the site. As an IT project manager and former software developer, I can visualize the post implementation discussions that must be going on.

Short news is that they have upgrades on the way, and they invited me to a post-implementation phone call to participate in user feedback. If I can budget the time, I'll dial in.

If anyone else has any suggestions, feel free to post them over here. I pointed them to this thread.

Cheers,
    Thom
    Galibier Design

I like AJ and don't just use it for bc.com. Yesterday I combined the cash back with a purchase on my rei dividend. Last week I bought some brass stoppers from a place I never would have checked out that actually had great service.

The search function could be improved though, agreed.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Hi all,

Active Junky invited me to a teleconference on Wednesday morning. If anyone wants to provide feedback on improving their site, can you post it here?

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with them. They replied to my query, taking it positively, and asked if I had time to talk.

Basically, I'm going to cover the search function as well as the displayed results, which I think can be more compact and therefore useful in making comparisons.

I haven't used their rewards section. I bought one thing through them so far, and the transaction didn't appear. It might have been my error. Perhaps someone has had more experience than I have, and some suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    I just received a response to my query, even though (in my e-mail) I didn't request one. They're very interested in improving the site. As an IT project manager and former software developer, I can visualize the post implementation discussions that must be going on.

Short news is that they have upgrades on the way, and they invited me to a post-implementation phone call to participate in user feedback. If I can budget the time, I'll dial in.

If anyone else has any suggestions, feel free to post them over here. I pointed them to this thread.

Cheers,
    Thom
    Cheers,
    thom
    Galibier Design

I just got off the phone with AJ. They're very responsive, are aware of the problems, and are trying to do the right thing.

A minor upgrade is scheduled for tonight, but they're not done and realize the weakness in both the search engine and displayed results.

Cheers,
    Thom
    Galibier Design

It should just link to backcountry and Evo website with mirror
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I felt as you did, and then I got my best deal on a pair of Salomon Wardens through USOutdoor.com. I never heard of them before. Also, realize that their business model goes beyond ski related items.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

I got an email from them saying I had cash back waiting but had to claim it on paypal. When I clicked the 'claim' button it added an email address to my account profile. Seems a little sketchy..... or not?

You have the option of having your rebate sent by mail if you choose that option. I have it linked to my PayPal without an incidence and have "made" -"saved" over $300 to date. @galibier in the beginning of using AJ I had opened a ticket on a website and while shopping I opened another window to search for coupons for the website I was on. After I found one and purchased on the linked site from AJ, I never received my refund. When I contacted customer service they said they could see that I left the site which ended the cash back ticket. The guy told me any time you click off the window that is opened you need to go back and reopen a claim. I have never had a problem with CB since I stopped jumping off the site.
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

I always shop, add stuff to my cart, find coupons and before the final "submit order" I go to AJ and then the only thing missing is to finish the order! I find it less prone to missing cash back this way

Seemed to good to be true, but have been using them this year and got a check back in May and continue to accrue. How does AJ make money? Do web retailers pay that high a % to websites that click through with a purchase? Guess that would explain the proliferation of crapy outdoor life style websites.