Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Check out FYE on Black Friday if you want Sennheiser earbuds. Picked up my CX300-II for $19.99 down from $70. They normally have them on a heavy discount any day of the week, but Black Friday they go nuts. They are an authorized Sennheiser reseller as well, so they aren't fake (like most of the cheap ones on ebay).

Amazon Gold Box do insane Ultimate Ears deals (well, they did last year).

I'm not sure how much you wanted to spend, and I was watching the other posts. I am not a fan of Bose at all. I think there's too much bass. I think they are maybe a little over-priced, not horrible. If you listen to them and like them, great. Not a fan of Shure, either. Keep in mind that much of this is personal preference, when you're not a complete audiophile. I've owned many pairs of Ultimate Ears, and the superfi3's are a great deal. I just lost a pair of Superfi5's and a pair of Ultrasone's in my luggage. I replaced them with a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50's. They sound better than anything I've tried on under $500. You can get them from Guitar Center for $169. Again, you didn't specify a price, but this is dirt cheap for a pair this good. I'm definitely snapping up two more pairs at this price. Drawbacks? Not noise-canceling, long cord, over the ear(if you wanted in). The GC in SF has a million demo pairs of headphones. Maybe you can find one near you that does, so you can try first.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    I'm using a pair of these at the moment: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-MK-.../dp/B001EZYMF4

Work great at attenuating the exhaust noise of my motorcycle, yet let me play music at a very comfortable level. On the plane they are basically the mute button for the world. I hear nothing when they're in, and as has been said you can sleep on your cheek with them on.
    I have these as well and really love them. I use them for 10-20 hours every week and find that nothing in the sub $50 range comes close (I tried a number of brands and models). They are holding up really well for all my travel and pocket cramming (I try to use the litlle pouch as much as possible) over the past 5 months. They are not the best for running with, they stay in but cable clank comes through, but otherwise are pretty perfect. Great fit with multiple tips, very good sound with deep base, nice in-line volume adjustment, and small.
    another Handsome Boy graduate

Bump. Looking for some noise canceling/isolating headphones. Any updates to this info? I'm not opposed to ear buds, but they need to be comfortable for long periods and stay in while running. I can never keep the earbuds that come with Apple products to stay in, even while sitting, so maybe some that come with multiple size foam and silicone ear pieces. Also not opposed to the over the ear type, but they would probably only get used on the plane due to bulk.

I didn't do much research. I didn't want to deal with the bulk of the over ear type and went with the Audio-Tecnica ATH-ANC23. They are noise cancelling earbud type. They seem to work pretty well.

For ear buds I buy the <=~$20 Altec Lansing. Love them. Work great on flights. And trying to sleep during the day in hotels. But I don't use them for active activities. So running? Jeebus. You really need noise cancelling for that? Stop breathing so hard.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Yeah not so sure that running in noise-canceling headphones is an awesome idea.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Yeah not so sure that running in noise-canceling headphones is an awesome idea.
    Yeah, on second thought probably not. I was thinking kill two birds, but I can use a cheap pair for running.

Makes me wonder if I should just get over the ears type?

Seems like they'd stay put better.

got a pair of Sony's for about $150, once the drivers broke in they are great and you cannot hear shit but they are over the ear. Son tested them and wanted to swap his $300 Beats for mine.
    uhm no thanks

Monoprice has some cheap that get great reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Trashcan View Post
    got a pair of Sony's for about $150, once the drivers broke in they are great and you cannot hear shit but they are over the ear. Son tested them and wanted to swap his $300 Beats for mine.
    uhm no thanks
    I can think of at least 6 headphone brands off the top of my head that are 1/2 the price of Beats yet outperform them handily. Those are the epitome of marketing over function.

In no particular order: Koss, AKG, Beyer Dynamic, Sennheiser, Sony, and Grado. There are more, they just don't come to mind right now.

Student's special = 99 cent store ear buds + some of your dad's shooting ear protection head phone things. Or shooting headphones alone. Great for studying not so great for trying to look cool.

I wear these at work at people sometimes have to tap my shoulder they're so good. Great on the plane for Zzzzs too. Good cost point, long cord which is nice if you want to jump around n dance.

$49 & change

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    I can think of at least 6 headphone brands off the top of my head that are 1/2 the price of Beats yet outperform them handily. Those are the epitome of marketing over function.

In no particular order: Koss, AKG, Beyer Dynamic, Sennheiser, Sony, and Grado. There are more, they just don't come to mind right now.
    Yeah I can come up with more. I told him they sucked but he had to have them and it was his money. He later said " i need to listen to you more"

I clicked that amazon link to the Sennheisers before realizing the post was over 3 years old and they're still selling under $30. BUT, I'd like some with the built-in mic for hands-free talking on the phone.

Are there any good (comparable to those Sennheisers), pretty cheap (under $50) earbuds with the mic? I'm using a $10 pair of Sonys right now and they work fine for hands-free talking but the sound isn't that great.

Edit: These are getting great reviews on Amazon and I have a $25 gift card so guess I'll try them out.

http://www.amazon.com/Symphonized-Pr...ct_top?ie=UTF8
    Last edited by Plainview; 03-30-2015 at 11:14 PM.

IMHO the whole wood thing is stupid if you're going to be active while using them. Sweat will permeate the wood and damage it or at the least mitigate the supposed benefit of wooden housings.

Then again for $25 who gives a fuck. Hard to argue against 100% 5 star ratings.

Tipp I need some new headphones, what should I buy?

in-ear, not for exercise. Mostly for planes so noise-cancelling/blocking is fine.

Those $25 ones Plainview posted. I might buy a pair just to test-drive them.

Shit, I'm still rocking these after 2 years but they've gone up nearly 60% in price: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (I bought them at ~$40.) Nice headphone but I mainly bought them because when they're in they are basically flat with your ear, so I can get my Motorcycle helmet over them easily. Lotsa cord noise on them tho.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Tipp I need some new headphones, what should I buy?

in-ear, not for exercise. Mostly for planes so noise-cancelling/blocking is fine.
    For high rollers like yourself and audiophiles. There's nothing quite like them.

http://www.westonemusicproducts.com/...ries/es50.html

If you care about your hearing long term these are much better than ear buds as they can be played at much lower volume and still be crystal clear. They do take a visit to the audiologist though. Woooooorth it. I think I opted for the ES30's.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Quote Originally Posted by guroo270 View Post
    For high rollers like yourself and audiophiles. There's nothing quite like them.

http://www.westonemusicproducts.com/...ries/es50.html

If you care about your hearing long term these are much better than ear buds as they can be played at much lower volume and still be crystal clear. They do take a visit to the audiologist though. Woooooorth it. I think I opted for the ES30's.
    Too "I wanna be like Bono." This is the Audi RS4 of earbuds: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LTWXK0/..._t3_B00O1GRK3O

Holy sheet

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1427855239.137935.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	204.9 KB 
ID:	165787

Yeah, I don't run, bike, or ski with earbuds in, so it's kind of a non-issue for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Plainview View Post
    Edit: These are getting great reviews on Amazon and I have a $25 gift card so guess I'll try them out.

http://www.amazon.com/Symphonized-Pr...ct_top?ie=UTF8
    So I bought a pair of these after Plainview posted the link and they came in last night. Just "burned them in" with an hour of Pink noise st at 90% volume, then threw on this tune to test:

I gotta say I'm seriously impressed. Warm, great tonal range, just beautiful. They probably stick out a little too far for use under my full-face motorcycle helmet but damn - $25 is a steal for these.

I like my Bose Cll's for the airplane rides. Of course I got them at Goodwill for $14.95. One of my better scores.