Rogers Pass AST 1 Course

Some friends and I are thinking of taking this course.

http://www.ontopmountaineering.com/avalanchecourse.php

Wondering if anyone has any experience with this outfit and would care to provide a review (no previous threads that I could find)?
    "We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life, to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment at no matter what. -George Santayana, The Philosophy of Travel

...it would probably bother me more if I wasn't quite so heavily sedated. -David St. Hubbins, This Is Spinal Tap

They're a reputable outfit with certified guides. Rogers Pass is a great location for the AST 1, when are you planning on doing it?

Feb 4-5, then a couple days touring.
    "We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life, to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment at no matter what. -George Santayana, The Philosophy of Travel

...it would probably bother me more if I wasn't quite so heavily sedated. -David St. Hubbins, This Is Spinal Tap

Some of the other outfits do 2.5 day courses. An evening of classroom, a day working with beacons and outdoors, and then a day touring in the pass.

Thanks Justin. Which ops are you referring to?

The ast1 course at whitewater (Nelson) was quite good. I have heard the rogers pass course is also good.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

You can go to this link and click on each geographical area for a list of AST providers:
    http://www.avalanche.ca/cac/training/ast/providers

Another really good AST provider is Adrenalin Descents out of Golden, BC. He knows the area well.

Hangfire and A.S.S. in Golden are also good!

Just signed up for the Adrenaline Descents course on the 21-22. Anyone going to be around for that?

i'd put up some props for Adrenelin Descents. Scott knows his shit. def knows his way around. aside from the course he'll get you to the goods. if you mt bike ask him about that too

Just got back from our AST1 at Rogers Pass, OnTop did a great job. Stan Metcalfe ran a course that was an excellent balance of classroom (less) and field work (more) for a small group of highly educated, motivated BC novices. A lot of focus on including all sources of information regarding potential slide activity (reports, direct observation, snowpit analysis) and recognizing terrain features, slope, wind, sun effects. Unfortunately? the stability was excellent so we skied a lot, Cheops Saturday, the Illecillewaet Sunday. Multiple pits, single and multivictim beacon drills, lots of anecdotes to drive points home. I would recommend this course highly.