Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Myself, KingofMyhr, StillNoProgress WC113 and Soprano were all on the trip. The ride back in the Beaufort 12 storm was quite an experience... Stay tuned for pics of the Glacial Ice Vodka Luge extravaganza!
    Days on snow this season: 54 Last Season: 83

www.poachninja.com

You guys are worse then a $1,000 a night call girl.

The tease is becoming unbearable.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Ok Ok, in order to help with the tease, here is a smattering of a few random photos to placate you while the TRs are being written. Rest assured any TR will include

penguins

Big Faces (StraightChuter is on this face somewhere...)

Boats

Hiking

Debauchery

And maybe even skiing

But these are just a random selection of unedited outtakes. I will save the best of ours (mostly taken by guide Kent McBride and PoachNinja Photog King Of Myrrh) for another TR and, of course the Gnarwhale will have some real beauties.
    Days on snow this season: 54 Last Season: 83

www.poachninja.com

Mister Crocker has already three TRs up...come on guys (just teasing from a guy that's hasn't posted a TR from last Summer in the Alps). :P

Looking forward to more...

...in the meantime, you can check out Mr. C stuff:

Martial Glacier, Ushuaia, Argentina, Nov. 8, 2011
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boa...php?f=6&t=9849

Wiencke Island, Antarctica Nov. 12, 2011
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boa...php?f=6&t=9850

Paradise Bay, Antarctica, Nov. 13, 2011
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boa...php?f=6&t=9851

He mentions that he has a few more coming...however I'm pretty sure they ain't going to be down under debauchery in his TRs.
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
    http://madpatski.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by StuntCok View Post
    Myself, KingofMyhr, StillNoProgress, WC113 and Soprano were all on the trip. The ride back in the Beaufort 12 storm was quite an experience... Stay tuned for pics of the Glacial Ice Vodka Luge extravaganza!
    Actually wcf3, but close.
    "I just want to thank everyone who made this day necessary." -Yogi Berra

Extends middle finger at Stuntcok

Cool TR's from TC, looking forward to more then just the little ballsack tickle from Stuntcock. Skiing and debauchery in true maggot fashion.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Enough of the teasing!! Get on it boys!!!
    パウダーバカ!!

Theoretical TR

Stuntcock and The Gnarwhale went south to bag some penguins. NoHow didn't want to know how, but Straightchutter put his skins on early, so he claimed first decent...{EDIT} THANK YOU
    Last edited by sicktird; 11-29-2011 at 12:58 PM.

I wanna see some storm shots of big waves, spray and pukers from the crossing.

What a stuntCocktease....

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

That trip was a blast! It didn't seem possible to top 2009 where we had perfect weather every day, but I think we did. Part of this was because we were able to find and access some excellent terrain.

I put a bunch of photos up on FaceBook:
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...7787303&type=1

and as a webgallery at:
    http://straightchuter.com/am-content...011/index.html

StraightChuter delivers in a grand fashion.

Awesome and thanks.
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
    http://madpatski.wordpress.com

OK, Poachninjas, bring it!

Damn that looks awesome, looking forward to more.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

First, I want to give a huge thanks to Doug at Iceaxe.tv and SuperG at Smith Optics. Thanks so much guys!

The term “trip of a lifetime” gets thrown around a lot with a jaunt like this and while the phrase hints at how special the trip is, I don’t like it because it insinuates that I might never go back. It was hard to get pulled away from a lifetime-worth of aesthetic alpine lines after only a handful of days. Shoot, a lifetime wouldn’t be near enough time to ski all the best lines on the Antarctic Peninsula. Doug Stoup clearly feels the same because he has already begun organizing the 2013 trip.

The night before heading to sea the whole 127-stong posse met for dinner in Ushuaia

Local libations were imbibed

Group photo

Where’s Waldo: Matty edition

Our whip

Stoke meter: high

In the event of a water landing, your seat cushion can be used as a flotation device

The Gorbachev seal of approval

Shoving off from Argentina

Bound for some of the roughest seas on the planet

A hundred miles from port we were in the Drake Passage where the swells make drawers open and close like a scene from Ghostbusters.

Land Ho: after about two and a half days of open ocean we reached the Antarctica Peninsuala

The first stop was a penguin colony

The little guys have heaps of personality. They’re every bit as goofy and endearing as cartoons had led me to believe.

ಠ_ಠ

Blue eyed shags look like small dinosaurs

A content seal

The world is your snow cone

After communing with the penguins we headed back to the ship for another 5-course lunch. Following lunch we suited up for skiing, which was good because I was begninning to get twitchy admiring the cornicopia of couloirs and faces that had been making appearances between the low clouds.

I got to hang with a strong posse: 2x Olympic Gold Medalist Seth Wescott, followed by Chris Davenport, followed by hard-charger/rockstar Matt Reardon followed by hard-charger/cinematographer NoHow

The light was milky and we reasoned that skiing near rocks would be better visibility, so we hiked a little steep couloir. After a two month summer intermission, I think this counts as my first ski run of ‘11-‘12. Not bad.

Airing out the gear in the hallways

Overnight the ship motored to a new zone. Unfortunately the light was still flat. Skiing by penguins made up for it.

Hands down the biggest touring party I’ve been to

Change for a nickel?

Booter building was cut short when ice began surrounding the ship. We hit the mini-scoop anyway.

Glacier skiing right into the ocean is so freakin cool

Poachninjas

With another new zone out the window, the next day dawned KAVU. Poachninjas head to shore.

The zone. Goddamn.

Dav leads the way up to a steep face
    Last edited by The Gnarwhale; 11-29-2011 at 05:08 PM.

Looking back down

Seth and Dav on top, looking over the edge

Yeah, looks like it goes

Snowbaord hop turns on firm 50 degree look challenging

StraightChuter and company skinning to the base of the face

Lust:

NoHow skis the windblown pow

You can call up a zodiac on the radio and they’ll pick you up to take you back to the boat for lunch or to another line. No time for lunch on the boat today.

The water is so clear that it looks shallower than it really is. 220+ ft visibility according to the ship workers

Unloading for another run

Skinning up

It’s amazing how fast a ship full of skiers will track out an area. The 127 of us were a motivated group.

NoHow booting up

Find the ship

There’s the ship

NoHow and I

Dav doing what he does

Wescott shredding

Reardon going in for the wallride slash

Loading up to head back for après festivities

Instead of going back to the ship, NoHow and I got dropped off below a run where one of the cruisers getting his speedwing set. The light was nice.

Once the wind chilled out, he was airborne

…And time for another big feeding. Every lunch and dinner the menu featured a couple appetizer options, then a soup course, salad course, next a list of entres that included options of meat, fish, veggie and gluten-free meals followed by desert. [Firstworldproblem] It was impossible not to put on pounds when you’re fed this way. [/Firstworldproblem]

“And next I’d like both deserts. With icecream.”

Sunset circa 10pm

7am view from our dormitorio

It started sunny, but the barometer was falling

And it was murky again by the time we put ashore

Lots of full-value terrain and lifetimes of alpine climbing objectives

I got offered the sharp end, which was flattering

Until we headed into crevase-land

We skied off a peak, cutting down and lookers right over cracks. In this pic another group had decided to follow our tracks, a decision they were soon regretting.

Looking across the glacier and back to the ocean

And over at nearby rugged, rimed peaks

It was snowing fat flakes when we skied back to the ocean

Back on the ship, the crew was lining up trays of vodka shots.

The powers that be had decided that it was “polar swim day.” They wanted dippers to go one at a time from the zodiac dock while wearing a safety line. They had brought a defibulator to the scene, just in case.

This group, however, has a high risk tolerance.

wcf3

NoHow en route to a massive ass-bruise

The next day we cramponed up steep firm snow that was great for climbing with whippets. NoHow shows how.

Dav and Fernando

It was a frosty morning. This is how I pictured Antarctica being pretty much all the time, but it turned out to be the exception rather than the rule

Spirts remained high, despite frozen eyelashes

We ran into SraightChuter on top who was identified by his eye-searing neon rope

Dav drops in

A nice long glacier run down to the ocean

There was pow on the leeward side of the ridge we climbed

And back to the mothership

After a robust lunch we went out for another ski

Kim Havell eyeing her line

Fernando finds soft snow
    Last edited by The Gnarwhale; 11-26-2011 at 01:27 PM.

Dav, Kim and Noah billygoated up an outcrop

Matt Reardon GS-ing it down

Dav killed time while waiting for a zodiac pickup

That night there was a costume party. Iceaxe.tv has gone for the “Black and White” theme on each of their Antarctic ski cruises and stuck with it on this trip too.

Spirits were high

I made friends

Sporting a crushing hangover, the next day began with ibuprofen, squinting, and Leapoard seals.

It looks like a living, breathing LoveSac

Dav and I found a chute to ski

I was sweating liquor fumes around this point.

Seth decided to follow the booter.

It was right steep

But it sheltered some good snow

Next we headed towards a rock pillar flanked by chutes that we'd spotted from the zodiac

Chris hanging tips over the entrance

Wescott

Reardon sends a windlip

Sealsnot

After six days of skiing, the time had come to head north. The crew was anticipating a rough Drake Passage crossing and the liberal number of puke bags dispensed around the ship hinted at their concern.

By the next morning, the swells were big and the wind was ripping. Heather holds on in the +100mph breeze.

StraightChuter either absorbing sea spray or just more nervous than that grin lets on.

Rock n Roll

When the waves began breaking over the top deck, we were forced inside.

For a number of hours the conditions were rated 12 on the Beaufort Scale, which is as high as that rating of oceanic violence goes. Furniture smashed itself to kindling in a places where it wasn’t bolted down and pretty much everything that wasn’t buttoned down hit the floor before rolling from wall to wall, passengers included.

That night we entered the shelter of the Beagle Channel and by morning we were back in Ushuaia, Argentina.

Want to sign up for the next one? Talk to Doug Stoup and Karyn Stanley over at http://www.iceaxe.tv/
    Last edited by The Gnarwhale; 11-26-2011 at 06:56 PM.

Wow..Thank you very much. Great photos on what looks like an incredible trip.

Ah, where can I sign up?!
    is this thing on?

Nicely done

Amazing photos guys.

Absolutely amazing!

FKNA Jim,

This one is right up there with Wrangell St. Elias, except you brought your good glass this time. Thank you SO MUCH for writing this up and sharing all of your great images with us.

Also, thanks to you for more shit to put on the bucket list of must-do adventures.

FKNA!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Thanks guys. Yeah, the good glass makes such a difference. It just taken me some time to commit to lugging a big camera and then to build out the kit one $1000 lens at a time.

Definitely a trip to add to the must-do adventure list. The quantity of top-tier terrain on the Antarctic Peninsula is unbelievable.