Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    i am considering selling a fully decked out canfield nimble 9 if you are interested. a little more than 1500 though. only a handful of XC rides on it.
    Start a thread or message me the details.

Quote Originally Posted by willmtbike4food View Post
    I'm going to *really strongly* recommend against buying a bike such as a Sette or a Motobecane that you can't test ride before buying - you have no idea what you're getting yourself into. Further, bicycles require a lot more assembly than simply attaching the handlebars, inflating the tires, and adjusting the cable tension. Lots. I feel as though very few people truly appreciate it, but a properly assembled bicycle, even with "lower quality" parts on it, will last much longer than a hurriedly thrown together bicycle with "higher quality" components on it. As an example, even $2,000 wheelsets brand new out of the box require truing and adjusting of their $800 carbon/ceramic hubs. And that's the nice stuff.

Seriously, buy a bike from a bike shop, rather than online. If you decide to buy used, take the bike for an estimate before you buy it, in order to have everything run through by a professional so there are no surprises. This is some of the best advice I can give.

Next, if you are located in Santa Barbara (as your location/zip implies), there should be lots of shops within a 30-45 minute drive. Make phone calls to see if they have any closeout models that would fit your budget and size if you have to.

If they don't have a closeout model in stock, they may still be able to order a 2011 closeout through the companies they carry - not always the same deal as an in-stock closeout would be, but it could make bikes that were previously just outside your budget a little more attainable. One bike in particular that's jumping out at me is the Trek/Fisher X-Caliber - there are still 2011 models in 19" (the size I'd suggest without being able to see you in person...) in stock at Trek, so any Trek dealer should be able to get them.

If the El Mariachi (a terrific bike) is something you'd like, but are not sure you can afford, think again - suggested retail for the 2012 El Mariachi 3 complete bike is $1499 - so within your budget. Only catch, is it isn't available until the first of the year.

Take your time in finding the right bike - and find a shop to get it from that treats you well.
    Depends on your experience. I'm an experienced bike mechanic, no shop wrench has ever touched any of my bikes and they all run perfect. With that in mind, I bought the Sette and couldn't be happier with it. I mean come on, for $1200 you get a Reba, Elixir CR's, 719's, and X9/X7 drivetrain. Its been a great bike.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

Tested a few bikes, I'm now looking for steel. The Niner MCR is great, I'm just trying to find one I can afford.

If there are other steel frames I should be looking into, let me know.

In my opinion if there's any chance you want to SS I'd pass on the MCR for a SIR just for the option. Vassago jabberwocky, salsa el mariachi, and maybe a Kona Unit should be on your list too.

Quote Originally Posted by supermodel159 View Post
    Start a thread or message me the details.
    pm sent.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Thanks everyone, I'm heading out to test-drive today.

ok so I am going to spam your thread with some useful spam.

I have a 17inch (m) Redline Monocog Flite(retails for around 900) that I kinda of want to get rid of.

upgrades.

100mm Reba Race with a poplock QR(200 ish) youll also get the rigid fork the bike came with.
    Ergon Grips(20)
    Juicy 5 brakes(bought used 70ish
    Stylo Crankset with a new BB(100 ish)
    Geax Gato/hutchison Toro rear tires

for the specs/geo of stuff I did not change look here

http://www.redlinebicycles.com/bikes...og-flight-29er

the bike is 09 that is burgandy and red. crappy picture

its set up as single speed but with a new Rear wheel and the geared droppouts plus gear you can run it with gears. Brazes on for both a front and rear derailleur.

700 plus shipping. I have a carbon frame that I am going to build up over the winter, and despite loving this bike. I really do not have room or the need for 2 29 inch single speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post
    In my opinion if there's any chance you want to SS I'd pass on the MCR for a SIR just for the option. Vassago jabberwocky, salsa el mariachi, and maybe a Kona Unit should be on your list too.
    I narrowed my search to the niner m.c.r. Or the salsa el mar. The Unit is a cool bike, but I'm not looking for a ss.

I picked up an 2011 El Mar today. The bike shop owner made me an offer I couldnt refuse.

Awesome. Should be a fun bike for ya - I've enjoyed every mile I've put on them, a real confidence-inspiring ride. Enjoy!

Nice! The El Mar was actually what I was going to buy when I got my Sette, but the deal I was getting fell through.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

Nice. I'm a huge fan of steel when going with a hard tail. Had a 1998 kona explosif (26") with custom paint made from Reynolds 853 before buying a custom Waltworks frame a little over 3 years ago. 29" wheels and a steel frame is hard to beat unless you are dropping a lot of vertical.

Nice choice on the Salsa. My wife rides an ala'carte and I think Salsa makes some wonderful frames.
    Last edited by pollydog; 11-14-2011 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    ok so I am going to spam your thread with some useful spam.
    [/spam/threadhijack] Clean out your inbox. I tried to PM you with no luck. [/endspam/threadhijack]
    Join WAFTA, promoting downhill and freeride trails in the Wasatch. www.waftautah.com