Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Whoa, whoa, shocker in Happy Valley

I wonder how many involved are Catholic? Just wonderin'........

Former Coach at Penn State Is Charged With Abuse
    By MARK VIERA
    Jerry Sandusky, a former defensive coordinator for the Penn State football team once viewed as a favorite to succeed Joe Paterno as head coach, has been charged with sexually abusing eight boys, and the university’s athletic director and another university official were charged with perjury and failure to report after an investigation into the allegations.

Sandusky, 67, who had worked with at-risk children through his Second Mile foundation, was arraigned and released on $100,000 bail on Saturday after being charged with, among other offenses, seven counts of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, eight counts of corruption of minors, eight counts of endangering the welfare of a child and seven counts of indecent assault.

A grand jury identified eight boys singled out for sexual advances or sexual assaults by Sandusky from 1994 through 2009, including one incident that Paterno was allegedly told about. All of the alleged victims first encountered Sandusky through activities related to Second Mile, which he founded in 1977. Sandusky retired from daily involvement with the Second Mile last fall.

“This is a case about a sexual predator who used his position within the university and community to repeatedly prey on young boys,” the Pennsylvania attorney general, Linda Kelly, said in a statement.

According to the attorney general’s office, Paterno alerted the athletic director, Tim Curley, about a 2002 incident in which a graduate assistant for the team said he saw Sandusky sexually assaulting a boy in the shower at Lasch Football Building on the Penn State campus. The graduate student said he went to Paterno’s home the next day and described what he had seen. Paterno, in turn, told Curley.

About a week and a half after the 2002 incident, which occurred late at night, Curley and Gary Schultz, the university’s senior vice president for finance and business, met with the graduate assistant who had witnessed it, then told Sandusky that he could not bring any children from the Second Mile into the football building. But the university officials did not alert law enforcement, as required by state law, Kelly said.

A grand jury found that Curley, 57, and Schultz, 62, provided false testimony in discussing their response to the 2002 incident. The grand jury found that Curley committed perjury in repeatedly denying that he had been told that Sandusky had engaged in sexual misconduct with a child.

It also found the assertions by Schultz that the allegations were “not that serious” and that he and Curley “had no indication that a crime had occurred” contradicted other testimony. Paterno, who last week passed Eddie Robinson for the most career victories in Division I football, was not charged.

Curley and Schultz were each charged with one count of perjury, a third-degree felony punishable by up to seven years in prison and a $15,000 fine, in addition to failure to report. They are scheduled to turn themselves in Monday in Harrisburg, Pa. Neither responded to attempts to reach him for comment. Sandusky did not respond to a telephone message left at his home.

Tom Farrell, the lawyer for Schultz, said in a statement: “Gary Schultz is innocent of all charges. We believe in the legal system, and we believe it will vindicate him. We will fight these charges in court, and Gary Schultz will be proven innocent of all of them.”

Caroline Roberto, the lawyer for Curley, said in a statement: “Tim Curley is innocent of all charges against him. We will vigorously challenge the charges in court, and we are confident he will be exonerated.”

Jay Paterno, the Penn State quarterbacks coach and son of Joe Paterno, declined to comment when reached on his cellphone.

“I wish to say that Tim Curley and Gary Schultz have my unconditional support,” Penn State’s president, Graham B. Spanier, said in a statement. “I have known and worked daily with Tim and Gary for more than 16 years. I have complete confidence in how they have handled the allegations about a former university employee.”

The news about Sandusky, and the actions of top university officials, are sure to roil State College, a small college town so quaint that it is referred to as Happy Valley. Penn State has long been a picture of consistency in the ever-changing college football landscape, from its iconic football coach to its staid blue-and-white uniforms.

The indictment culminated a nearly three-year investigation by the state attorney general’s office. The investigation began after claims by the first alleged victim that Sandusky had indecently assaulted him and engaged in various sex acts while the boy was Sandusky’s house guest near Penn State’s campus.

The charges against Sandusky are at odds with his public persona in State College. After a successful career on the sidelines, he seemed to dedicate himself to improving the lives of the youth of the area through his foundation. Sandusky reportedly cited his devotion to the charity among the reasons for turning down various head coaching opportunities.

A defensive coach at Penn State from 1969 until his retirement in 1999, Sandusky helped burnish Penn State’s reputation as Linebacker U, devising the defenses that led the Nittany Lions to national championships in the 1982 and 1986 seasons.

Penn State did not play Saturday. The 16th-ranked Nittany Lions host No. 9 Nebraska next week in their final home game of the season.

I had a feeling the JoePa saga wasn't going to end well. Didn't expect this though. Sad.

Yeah, live long enough...........

I always figured the old dude at Zenos for that type. Sat at the bar eying the pretty young things.

I am a little shocked at Sandusky, but nOt totally surprised. When I worked there I had an employee with a scandal, the PR peeps there are pretty solid, should be interesting to see their next. Move.

The best things in life aren't things.

I'm reading the grand jury report now and can't believe this shit.

"The grand jury report concluded with an incident that it said occurred in 2000, during a week when the Nittany Lions were away from campus for a game. Late at night, a janitor cleaning the football building said he observed Mr. Sandusky performing oral sex on a boy in a shower. Another worker that night found the shaken janitor, who said, “I just witnessed something in there I’ll never forget.”"

this one is far from over, years off covering up for a pedophile can't be good for a program in my opinion.
    wonder how many became bankers?
    bobbyf

This thing is blowing up here. The big sports radio here (WIP-610/94.1) had about 10 commentators on this morning. All of them said: 1) Joe Pa has to resign; he knew about this and did as little as he could; and 2) Joe Pa will not resign and will continue to coach (and no one at Penn State can make him).

Most also mentioned the boon for OSU recruiting. "Hey...send your kid to Columbus...sure, he might get a free tattoo or used car...but hey, look at that other program."

-Smarty

What's the consensus on whether JoePa has any responsibility? Upon reading the GJ report, I didn't think he did. But reading what people are saying, a lot of them think he should have done more.

telling the AD and washing his hands of it just is not good enough, should of did every thing in his power to make sure that scumbag couldn't step foot on campus at a minimum. at least follow up with the AD to see how it stood, or better yet call the state police yourself. hope the old fuck is brought down as well.

no doubt he didn't do enough with this information with regards to the victim in my opinion.

How is Sandusky maintaining his innocence here? That report was pretty damning. What is he going to say, "It's a conspiracy of kids against me." ?

The local DA went missing in 2005 and was never found. The hard drive on his computer was wiped out when they found it....

http://www.centredaily.com/2011/11/0...in-ending.html

Meh. Just another day in Pennsyltucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    The local DA went missing in 2005 and was never found. The hard drive on his computer was wiped out when they found it....

http://www.centredaily.com/2011/11/0...in-ending.html
    Man, I'm not gonna jump to conclusions, but that is messed up.

Quote Originally Posted by sidewall View Post
    What's the consensus on whether JoePa has any responsibility? Upon reading the GJ report, I didn't think he did. But reading what people are saying, a lot of them think he should have done more.
    There are a few things that will be argued. First JoePa did not see anything himself. A Grad Assistant at the time (and now a member of his coaching staff) was the one that was a witness from reports I have seen. The Grad Assistant went to Joe and then Joe reported the conversation to his boss. It could be hearsay in the fact that Joe just heard about it 2nd hand. Should Joe had called the police immediately- or had the Grad Assistant call them in his presence?

Also at least one lawyer is claiming that the PA Child Protection does not apply to the situation- not sure what the full argument is but the University definitely has a moral obligation if anything happened on their campus to report anything like this. http://www.cumberlink.com/sports/pen...cc4c03286.html

The 2 University Officers charged with perjury have resigned at least until the charges and proceedings make their way though the courts and guilt or innocence is determined.

same kinda shit happened up here in Hockey, the Theo Fleury story and that coach abused other pro's in the junior part of their careers, they are all coming forward

http://www2.macleans.ca/2009/10/09/t...ay-of-my-life/

there was abuse in residential school up here as well which really fuckedup a whole generation of the 1st nations, I think you are going to hear about this in Scouting as well

While the catholic church is pretty famous for harboring sexual predators and turning a blind eye it's not just catholics that are sexual predators rather sexual predators will go where the hunting/fishing is best ... sports teams ,boy scouts, alter boys, boarding schools

And note that a sexual predator may be a homosexual but homosexuals are not predators

I agree with rshea about Joe's lack of knowing for sure what actually happened. He should have made the janitor call the cops himself, but he didn't.

Why arent people jumping on the janitor or the grad student though? They should have gone to the cops themselves but all they did was tell the other coaching staff then forget about it. If it was me I would have gone to the cops, and then if they wouldnt do anything, and I still knew it was going on, it'd be time to grab a baseball bat. Jury nullification is a helluvathing and I'm confident that no jury of my peers would convict me for beating a child molester who operated with impunity from the cops.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I agree with rshea about Joe's lack of knowing for sure what actually happened. He should have made the janitor call the cops himself, but he didn't.

Why arent people jumping on the janitor or the grad student though? They should have gone to the cops themselves but all they did was tell the other coaching staff then forget about it. If it was me I would have gone to the cops, and then if they wouldnt do anything, and I still knew it was going on, it'd be time to grab a baseball bat. Jury nullification is a helluvathing and I'm confident that no jury of my peers would convict me for beating a child molester who operated with impunity from the cops.
    actualy I think they would convict you

but this stuff has gone on for many years kids knew they should watch out for fatehr so7so or the assitant coach or whomever and the reason is that the people who were doing it are in positions of great power over what is basicly a kid

On a sports team the coach has the ticket to a kids pro career, the catholic church in a small village would hold power over a kids family ... complain and it affects the kid & his family and maybe no one believes him, obviously even the people who turned a blind eye didn't believe they could do anything

a pro athelete who comes forward has power and IS believed

joepa knew something happened, he knew a 58 year old was with the 10 year old in the shower, he failed miserably by handling it the way he did, or really lack of handling it.

I'm withholding judgment because I want to believe that JoePa handled it appropriately, but it doesn't look good.

As for whether they had to report it or not, doesn't matter, the perjury charges can still stick.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Hugh Conway Guest
    JoePa's been looking half dead for a decade, not surprising

I don't understand why the witness went to the FOOTBALL COACH instead of the police. You witness a crime as heinous as that and you run to the football coach? Seriously?

:wtf:
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent