Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    europe for living, jackson hole and la grave for fun, valdez for pleasure
    Prodigy, this is what Lee wrote some posts back: "I think the tech binding manufacturers are in a tough spot and perhaps they've put themselves there. They're marketing the stuff for freeride and big mountain - whatever the hell that means. Yet at the heart its a touring binding which by necessity demands compromises. Which means consumers get mixed messages."

BTW, I'm not convinced I'm in a superior position to claim, therefor I used the words 'paid or free'.

Remember Dynafit came out with the Vertical FT12, with a RV of - wow - DIN12 ? About everybody and their grandmothers jumped on the bandwagon and ditched their heavyweight Fritschis. I was one of these believers. OMG, Dynafit DIN12 !!! After thousands of posts about prereleasing, thou should lock your toes if it gets hairy, etc, the Dynafit folks come out with a 'better' solution: the Radical. Strange enough, newcomers like Plum and Onyx did come out with products that are less prone to prerelease. So here is my simple question: When Dynafit marketed the Vertical FT12 as a 'freeride' binding, did they know it could prerelease under certain conditions ? If the answer is no, I would like to meet the guys doing tests for Dynafit. If it is yes, Dynafit's marketing department has probably more power than their R&D department. Knowing Dynafit was taking over by Oberalp, who ofcourse like some ROI, could explain what has happened.
    Equus africanus asinus is a hardworking animal. Respect !

plenty of other AT/alpine bindings seem to get by just fine with similar mounting widths
    Point taken. Still glad I waited for the wider support plate of the Radicals, it just makes sense that the widths evolve a bit at this point being that skis are almost twice as wide as they once were. Just think about the ever increasing leverage involved, at some point it must be a factor. I'm sure Fritchsis could benefit from a wider footprint at this point as well. With them not being restricted by the integrated system Dynafit is, you'd think they would have caught on by now, but instead seem happy to make the sloppiest, flexiest, most breakable alpine touring binding still in exsistance.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Quote Originally Posted by randosteve View Post
    once they are put into tour mode, they will not rotate the 1/4 counter-clockwise turn back to ski mode. nope...won't happen.
    Unfortunately the pair I handled that were mounted on a Dynafit display plate could rotate both directions from tour mode. Probably a one-off.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    Unfortunately the pair I handled that were mounted on a Dynafit display plate could rotate both directions from tour mode.
    Maybe someone took the little spring-loaded pin out and left it out? Wonder if people who have never had an issue with auto-rotation will start doing this - sure would be easier to rotate 1/4 turn counter clockwise than 3/4 turn clockwise if you are leaving your skis on.

Quote Originally Posted by Knut View Post
    I thought you recommended locking the toes out per default. Regardless of the situation.
    On which I strongly disagree.
    i lock the dynafits all the time, regardless of the situation. so does basically everyone i tour with. im ca 140lbs and not a very agressive skier. i set my alpine bindings and dyna-heels at quite low values and nearly never prerelease, but the toes do so all the time in shitty or hard snow or on groomers and still way too often in powder.
    it is actually hard for me to imagine that people ski anything but the softest powder without frequent pre-release problems.

For normal skiing and touring I prefer to have a release option on my bindings. Without the risk of getting thrown off too easily.
    And in my hands the onyx does the job here, while the dynafit doesn't under all circumstances. Of course it's an n=1 and no statistics.
    But if that's what I get and for that have to pay the price of a more complicated entry, I'm more than willing to pay and push the lever down for step-in. Actually, I got quite used to it and meanwhile also fix the dynafit-equipped ski with my pole when stepping in. That's what I wanted to express with the citations.
    id of course also prefer to having a release option, but with the dynafits the choice between "might-getting hurt due to prerelease" and "might getting hurt due to no toe release" is quite clear for me.
    i dont lock the onyx so far, and did not have a single pre-release (i have to admit i have only about 15 days on them). i would still lock them out for steep stuff, for which i would lock alpine bindings too, if i could.
    i think the step-in of the onyx is not so bad, im with knut in that i think its as easy to step into the onyx in flat terrain or with a good spot to put your ski than with the dynafit, it foes sock though in stepper terrain.

Regarding the toe release values: It's rumoured to be around somewhere of 7ish, while the G3 guys claim, their toe is a little stronger and you can click it up with the lever in some -rather vague- steps.
    But there were rumours last year, that Dynafit hat the FT's, that were sold with the widest breaks, were equipped with stronger springs (Still couldn't figure out, whether it was true. One sales-rep denied, one agreed, that I was talking to.).
    In my eyes, that could be a solution for the heavy user with big boots. Have a tune-up set with stronger springs.
    id love to be able to try dynafits with stronger springs...

freak~[&]

You know your weight in lbs? You're my hero!

rough estimation

freak~[&]

Regarding the toe release values: It's rumoured to be around somewhere of 7ish, while the G3 guys claim, their toe is a little stronger and you can click it up with the lever in some -rather vague- steps.
    But there were rumours last year, that Dynafit hat the FT's, that were sold with the widest breaks, were equipped with stronger springs (Still couldn't figure out, whether it was true. One sales-rep denied, one agreed, that I was talking to.).
    In my eyes, that could be a solution for the heavy user with big boots. Have a tune-up set with stronger springs.
    The Vertical FT12 w/ 110 brakes in white got a running change midseason for upgraded toe springs, ~20% stiffer is the claim. You can tell because they're a matte grey instead of bright silver. These are the springs in the Radical as well.

No Shit! One Legged Squats! That's like having the strength of 2 legs in 1! Obviously you are far to strong for tech bindings. Try nails.

freak, you're my hero ! for a while I thought I was the only prereleaser in the world.

snow spirit, I wasn't completely honest. I can only do it with a book or a 2 by 2 under my heel. (btw, it's the russian one leg squat where you straighten one leg in front of you, and the angle between your upper and lower part of your leg is about 150 degrees). nice exercise. only drawback is prereleasing on tech bindings and no more slimfit jeans. but everybody on tgr wears baggies and ski like elves, right ?

I don't believe it. Doesn't sound possible. How could one man have so much strength.

Look into getting some bindings made of adamantium. I hear that is pretty strong, don't know about the weight though.

forgot to mention. bought a pair of onyx bindings for use on my JJ's and a pair of plum guide toe bindings (combined with vertical heels) for use on kastle bmx's. I tried to get some radicals toes but dynafit is sold out and don't have spare radical toe bindings to sell. thread closed ?
    snow spirit: keep on practicing. I believe in you !

Quote Originally Posted by Prodigy View Post
    The Vertical FT12 w/ 110 brakes in white got a running change midseason for upgraded toe springs, ~20% stiffer is the claim. You can tell because they're a matte grey instead of bright silver. These are the springs in the Radical as well.
    Thanks for the verification. You don't know how many shop rats declared me stoopid. But I've never seen some with matte grey springs.

...and there's no way to retrofit these new stronger toe springs is there?

Quote Originally Posted by ready2tumble View Post
    ...and there's no way to retrofit these new stronger toe springs is there?
    Nope, nor any way to get them besides pulling them out of a brand new toe which would defeat the purpose anyhow.

Snow Spirit, found some free lessons: http://www.powerathletesmag.com/pages/pistols.htm
    Have fun !

OK, then, would it be retarded to put Radicals on something like a Nordica Patron, that would see a lot of in-bounds use, on the assumption that I am skinny (145ish), won't be wearing a big pack at the resort, and will probably only be using a ski this big on soft-snow days? Of course, the fact that I'm in-bounds means I'll be skiing bumps by noon, and when I'm out of bounds I'll be saving like 2 pounds on twenty-something pounds of ski and Bushwacker and 140mm skins, so, yeah probably. But I've got tech soles, dammit!

Jackass - any news on your setup?
    I have prereleases on ice with skis with waist 85 an up, at an increasing level. I downsized from 105 - I get better floatation and performance from skiing narrow skis fasts than wide skis slowly.
    This year I remounted a 115mm waist ski from salomon to radical ft12. Indoor tests made me exchange them: IMHO I would need to ski them locked in the children's area.
    Got some onyx on them. They prereleased on my first run when i hit a patch of ice...could be a slight misalignment... Ohh, my skiing was super mellow: about half the speed done with salomon z12....I was actually able to stop with The ski hanging on and The toe jaws still open....

ready2tumble, IME Dynafits work fine for lift-served skiing on soft snow days if you don't huck. Due to lack of elasticity in the toe, banging Dynafits on hardpack puts lots of stress on the toe-ski connection, so Dynafits are not advised for lift skiing on firm snow days. Lots of comments elsewhere on Tech Talk about this. My big fat butt has 150+ lift-served powder days on Dynafits, but I don't huck so YMMV.

Personally I don't quite see the big difference between skiing in groomed slopes or touring. When touring I encounter everything: from powder to blue ice. If the binding does not keep me in place in groomed slopes, how can I expect them to hold me on refrozen windpack?
    The one big difference I see between skiing lift based and skin-based is that the amount of descent increases 10 fold...but that does not affect retention, at least not for a good while.

Quote Originally Posted by hilmersen View Post
    ....I was actually able to stop with The ski hanging on and The toe jaws still open....
    Sweet . . .

Quote Originally Posted by hilmersen View Post
    Personally I don't quite see the big difference between skiing in groomed slopes or touring. When touring I encounter everything: from powder to blue ice. If the binding does not keep me in place in groomed slopes, how can I expect them to hold me on refrozen windpack?
    The one big difference I see between skiing lift based and skin-based is that the amount of descent increases 10 fold...but that does not affect retention, at least not for a good while.
    I'm talking about beating up the binding-ski connection, not toe retention. Toe retention has never been an issue for my big butt, nor AFAIK with the other Dynatourists with whom I regularly ski. Re the differences between lift and backcountry, in addition to the cumulation of verts, I ski mellower when I tour so the Dyna toe-ski connection doesn't get the abuse it would when I'm on the lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Sweet . . .
    Not quite sure how it was possible considering the Onyx's constant toe jaw pressure....have to try to replicate it one day.