Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NetFlix on Apple TV..who else is disappointed?

The movie selection looks like the $1.99 bin at the grocery store. I am into a week of the first free month, but why would anyone pay $7.99 a month for such a seriously bad selection on movies.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Well, that is a good summary of Netflix streaming.

Do you pay for HBO? HBO on the Go is a nice addition that costs nothing beyond your regular subscription price.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Jailbreak that shit - install XBMC. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by jce338 View Post
    Jailbreak that shit - install XBMC. Problem solved.
    Care to explain a bit more?

Do some reading and find the correct jailbreak instructions here:

http://www.appletvhacks.net/category/hacks/

Install XBMC:
    http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title..._on_Apple_TV_1
    http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title..._on_Apple_TV_2

Your shitty apple tv that can barely do anything out of the box just became a top of the line HD video streaming device. Torrent free shows, set it up to stream all of the media from your home PC or NAS, or install the icefilms.info plugin and just stream all if your favorite shows for free instead.

looks a little like this:
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/20/x...-new-apple-tv/

Complicated, but if you can follow instructions you should be able to get it done.

What does Apple TV have to do with netflix? I love my apple TV. I like netflix too, but I can get it on my Wii, my laptop and about 10 other devices you can buy at best buy...
    .....Visit my website. .....

"a yin without a yang"

Search for Top Gear. They have 151 different episodes. Get back to me when you're done.
    Live Free or Die

Hugh Conway Guest
    My teenager is pissed they don't have Twilight too. Maybe they have 90210 for you Phil?

I mean you paid $100 for a stupid gadget now you are pissed to pay $8?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    My teenager is pissed they don't have Twilight too. Maybe they have 90210 for you Phil?

I mean you paid $100 for a stupid gadget now you are pissed to pay $8?
    I have no problem paying 100 for the iTV it is useful for iTunes and Photos but $8/mo for crappy movies isn't worth it. If they had a good selection and not Howard the Duck quality movies, not an issue. Oh and 90210 is on VHS for when you come over to watch it.
    Click. Point. Chute.

I'm not an iEmo, was just wondering if there was a way to "jailbreak" my "not available" Netflix shit.

I guess it's just skins and vaporware. What else is new.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexon Phil View Post
    I have no problem paying 100 for the iTV it is useful for iTunes and Photos but $8/mo for crappy movies isn't worth it. If they had a good selection and not Howard the Duck quality movies, not an issue. Oh and 90210 is on VHS for when you come over to watch it.
    I still don't get it. You'll pay $2 or $4 or $10 for a crappy movie available via iTunes but you won't pay $8/month for the many TV shows or movies available via Netflix? I'm not surprised you still have VHS after this

there are several threads listing good netflix movies; I'm sorry they are short on Owen Wilson flicks.

Fucking iTunes? Seriously? The selection sucks, the quality sucks, the store sucks.

Fucking iTunes? Seriously? The selection sucks, the quality sucks, the store sucks.
    I'm surprised. If you base you're argument on the cost of itunes content vs the free stuff then yeah, that's a potentially valid argument depending on who you are.

But, honest question here, what other options have superior selection coupled with superior quality and a superior user interface.

Dude, Netflix blows, I cannot imagine it linked to another quirky brand. Worst streaming selection ever. Getting worse by the moment too it seems. Losing film after film to DVDs. What the fuck am I paying for?
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    and a superior user interface.
    pretty much everything is superior to iTunes now interface wise. comparing whatever $3 rental iTunes has is pointless, really, to compare to a subscription service. Except that say, the orginal Italian job is free streaming, it's $ 3 rental at iTunes.

DasBlunt go drive your invented car stories into a wall

Haha!

I still haven't figured out the netflix hate. There is lots and lots and lots of good shit on streaming. I can't even get close to finishing my list without filling it back up. I mean the noir/ old movie selection alone will keep you busy for months, if you're gimp (like me).

pretty much everything is superior to iTunes now interface wise. comparing whatever $3 rental iTunes has is pointless, really, to compare to a subscription service. Except that say, the orginal Italian job is free streaming, it's $ 3 rental at iTunes.

Yeah subscription service would trump itunes in price no question. But a subscription service doesn't by definition trump it in selection (it could, it's just not a given) - itunes does have a ton of stuff available.

I'm north of the border so all of this is moot anyway since our options are limited for the time being. Other than Netflix (our netflix is not the same BTW) what other subscription services exist for movies and tv down south there.

Quote Originally Posted by brice618 View Post
    Haha!

I still haven't figured out the netflix hate. There is lots and lots and lots of good shit on streaming. I can't even get close to finishing my list without filling it back up. I mean the noir/ old movie selection alone will keep you busy for months, if you're gimp (like me).
    ^ This. And from everything I've read, it's still the best subscription streaming service. The others have an even worse selection by all accounts. The bottom line is that subscription streaming is still a nascent viewing option right now. The studios are extremely reluctant to license content to Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, etc.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Meh, Netflix is OK. Only way to get a better selection consistently is head to the local Video store and get raped on rental and late fees. OR go the way of the torrent but honestly that's too much effort for me.

My Streaming and DVD ques are so long I can't imagine getting to the bottom of them. It IS true however that the selection has been dwindling as of late.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

This is the unfortunate effect of an industry controlling its content, profiting massively and STILL not being able to deliver its products to their potential consumers in any good way. good article on arstechnica.com about it yesterday involving what a pain in the ass the "free" digital copy you get with blu-rays and dvd's actually are for legitimate consumers. Nevermind that the "pirates" are people that buy the dvd (okay, not always...) and just rip the thing to a 1080p MKV file and are done with their adventure.

Phil - it's not TV or the video store.

Once you have that it's pretty awesome. My 10 yr old daughter loving Top Gear means no more Hannah Fucking Montana. This is a very good thing. Being able to watch six seasons of Weeds in a few weeks. Awesome.

I have actually found many TV shows that I couldn't stand to watch first time around that are very enjoyable without the brainwashing (ie commercials). And my kids have not started to sing a single jingle in quite some time. They get to watch some Disney, Suite Life and Hannah or Wizards when I am not around.

Right now we are working our way through The Guardian which I had never heard of and it is quite good. Lots of good documentaries too. And I find that I am quite fond of the Thai and Vietnamese action pics. Some of the Chinese ones are really good too.

As much as I hate to, we will hook up the cable again for a couple of months for the end of the nfl season and then back off. It's much better in our house that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by skuba View Post
    you can let it free and be as stupid as possible

Thread Killer
    I would like to see your point of view but I can't get my head that far up your ass.

i think the real value in Netflix is the amount of Tv shows you can stream. tons of good stuff on there

The number and quality of more current movies on Netflix stream has really tanked over the last year or so. But it's still pretty damned good for documentaries and older/foreign films.

OK - Who wants to explain to a major tech jong how to torrent movies? We have a ipad and a xoom, but netflix doesn't have shit we want to watch.

P.S. I think HULU + is pretty sweet if you're into newer cable TV shows.
    Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't
    help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs...

They fucking doubled their streaming library size last year!

Perhaps you should've bought a Boxee Box instead. You have a gazillion additional options there. Plus 1080p and support for just about every file format you can throw at it. When I go to my Movies section on it, it pulls up over 10,000 selections. I think the TV Shows section is over 4,000. I just wish it had Amazon instant streaming on it, too.

AppleTV is way too limiting, but hey, that's why people buy Apple products, right? For some reason, people like handcuffs in exchange for those slick interfaces.