Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    There are quite a few opinions about air bags out there. Weight vs Cost and all the other wranglings. Stats show they work. They don't replace cautious travel. The sledding side have really picked up in terms of adoption skier/snowboarders however not so much. What would be everyones tipping point? I have an ABS just hope I never have to use it. If I do and it saves my life then it was worth the $1200 bucks.

Check the link below for some info and thoughts about airbags

http://powdergangster.blogspot.com/2...g-towards.html

Anyone using the Mammut 22L RAS pack yet? Thoughts? I usually pack fairly light and typically pack shovel/probe, skins, a lightweight shell, spare gloves & hat, goggles and a nalgene bottle. Would the 22L version instead of the 30L comfortably carry it all? Unfortunately I haven't been able to see either one in person yet
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GravityDT View Post
    Anyone using the Mammut 22L RAS pack yet? Thoughts? I usually pack fairly light and typically pack shovel/probe, skins, a lightweight shell, spare gloves & hat, goggles and a nalgene bottle. Would the 22L version instead of the 30L comfortably carry it all? Unfortunately I haven't been able to see either one in person yet
    Thanks
    I ordered the 30L. I think 30L is a good balance for day trips and sidecountry- if you compress the straps down it gets pretty small. A 20Lsih pack works fine, but then you spend a lot of time unpacking and carefully repacking to get stuff out, and I suck at packing stuff, but your milage may vary. And if you want to throw in a big camera or thermos, etc. you have that option. And with the RAS if you don't like it the pack you can get a different one without a ton of $$$.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Well, I pulled the trigger on the 30L and it arrived yesterday. Glad i opted for the slightly larger pack. yes, the 22L would have worked just fine but it would have been maxed out. now i have extra room for the puffy and the flask...

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    ^^^ That video was deleted, Mike, and I'm sure one of those manufacturers would prefer to keep it that way. Would be curious to know what happened though.
    Had a chance to watch it before it came down, they were all lined up on stage and the Wary didnt work. Could definitely be a bad vid for publicity! Who knows though, could have just been that the rep forgot to connect the canister or something, so trying not to read too much into it myself.

I wound up pulling the trigger on the Mammut 30L and got out with it a couple days ago. Fits great, super comfy and it's a bit lighter than most of the packs. Also holds a board on there pretty solid. Only minor thing I wish it had was a helmet holder, but other than that a pretty good pack for the first day out this year.

Float 18 - After 4 days of use (3 back country, 1 inbounds/slack).

I'd been using an ABS for a couple years previously but it was way too big to be dragging around resorts even if I knew I was heading out a gate.

Sold the ABS and picked up the Float 18. If you bring a Liter of water, some lunch, extra gloves and googles - you've pretty much filled the bag to capacity.

It does have a nice helmet attachment that works really nice as an additional space packer. I put my shell and my skins in the helmet holder and it worked perfect .

45 Minute boot pack - the cross carry is not my favorite, but it was actually pretty balanced. The lack of a hydration option is a little bit annoying.

2 1/2 hour of skinning - honestly didn't notice the extra weight over a Covert 22. The 5(ish) pounds empty is really very nice compared to the 8 pounds of my old ABS.

Hoping on a lift with it - not that far off the feeling I have with a Covert 22 with a shovel/probe in it - a bit fatter but still low profile.

The waist buckle is awesome - nicely finished, easy to crank down. Adjusting the pack on my back was easy and quick on the skin track when you want the waist tight and the shoulders loose - very quick to release pressure.

The deployment trigger is nicely placed - I feel like it's in your field of view just enough that you know where it is at all times without being obtrusive. Very pleased that there's not the ABS velcro crap to deal with - if the trigger is out of the zipper it's live.

All in all - I like it and plan on using it in-bounds after massive dumps - or anytime I'm heading out gates.

Quote Originally Posted by sfotex View Post
    I ordered the 30L. I think 30L is a good balance for day trips and sidecountry- if you compress the straps down it gets pretty small. A 20Lsih pack works fine, but then you spend a lot of time unpacking and carefully repacking to get stuff out, and I suck at packing stuff, but your milage may vary. And if you want to throw in a big camera or thermos, etc. you have that option. And with the RAS if you don't like it the pack you can get a different one without a ton of $$$.
    I ended up doing the 30L too. Seems like a nice pack. I had the Float 30 and some of the details just seemed to be missed where Mammut picked up on those details.

The RAS seems cool too. I see myself buying a bigger pack for longer trips, like hut trips.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

Is the airbag that failed the same WARI system that Mystery Ranch is using in the Blackjack?

I just returned my Float 18 for a Float 30. The 18 just isn't good for splitboarding with no place to put the poles or water or small jacket. I like the 30 for it's size and extra back padding but it is wider than the 18 when it doesn't need to be.

I can't wait for Dakine to make an airbag pack. I love my heli pro dlx.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    I just returned my Float 18 for a Float 30. The 18 just isn't good for splitboarding with no place to put the poles or water or small jacket. I like the 30 for it's size and extra back padding but it is wider than the 18 when it doesn't need to be.

So the 18 is really small then? I have the 36 and have been thinking its to big. Ditto on the dakine pack!
    I love my family. Kids are the best.
    http://www.praxisskis.com

The 36 is definitely too big for everyday use. The 18 would be perfect with 2 straps and an expandable pocket for a water bottle. The 30 is nice but could be streamlined.

Float 36 is definitely way too big for everyday/inbound. Nice size for AK backcountry though because of the weather and need for a big pile of layers (at least in my case).

Although, for me, I think anything bigger than a BD covert or similar is big for inbounds/lift-served slack.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Is the airbag that failed the same WARI system that Mystery Ranch is using in the Blackjack?
    Yes. It was an o ring placement issue. If your pack is affected they sent you an email, it affected a specific limited range of serial numbers. Fire, which you should do anyways, and the O-ring is then seated in the correct place. Refill, good to go.

Wanted to add that I've fondled pretty much every pack on the market now. Very stoked I went mystery ranch.

Got my Mammut RAS today. Very well made pack that seems to carry well. Now I just need to go get the tank filled and give her a test fire.

Has anyone heard anything regarding adjustments being made to next year's float 18?

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post

Dive Utah in Holladay filled my Mammut tank for $5 today. I showed the guy how you swap out the burst disks, etc. so they should be good to go. Note, they don't carry spare burst disks/parts, so you have to bring your own.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    ^^^^lemme know when your testin will photo
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

anybody know if the wary 33 avipack has shipped?

Yowzer.

Dakine had their avy airbag on display at SIA last week. ABS style with two wing bags. Stoked.

Quote Originally Posted by sfotex View Post
    Yowzer.

Gotta be a terrifying feeling to realize that you're going downhill at 30mph but your board isn't moving relative to the snow. Airbag worked perfectly though, very impressive.

^^^ strange decision making in the BC to be caught in something like that.

I guess people feel invincible with the airbag on?
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

airbag = lifejacket.

I've never felt invincible kayaking with a lifejacket on; however, I would never have boated without one.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

I picked up my Wary 33l AviPack today, this is a very nice pack well thought out and very well made.
    Feels way lighter than my Float 30, and the weight is really distributed well. Tons of room for all your stuff. The deployment system and bottled are tucked out of the way on the side, you have to really look for it to find it, and takes up very little room if anything at all. The straps and waist strap fit really nice and comfortable, sucks in and rides real nice above my hips. Has a nice quick release plastic buckle and strap adjusters. I am really happy with this pack and John and Will over at Wary who worked at getting this pack right. Thanks guys! I will be giving a good test drive next week in the Tetons.....