Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ectreeskier11 View Post
    anyone tried the new mammut/snowpule RAS bags?
    Taken your avy 2 or a WFR yet? Would the money be better spent on edubication vs. an airbag?
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

How do you folks would compare avalung and airbarg (those of you who think they are useful).

Should one have both?
    Or is other enough, which one is more beneficial?

Edit: Currently I have neither, but I am planning to buy airbar. But I am wondering if I should buy avalung instead.
    Last edited by cool J; 11-19-2011 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cool J View Post
    How do you folks would compare avalung and airbarg (those of you who think they are useful).

Should one have both?
    Or is other enough, which one is more beneficial?
    Airbag -
    Pros: Keeps you on top if the shit hits the fan, pretty much the point of the whole thing
    Cons: Weight, cost, flying with it, one shot dealio until you refill if you accidentally set it off

Avalung -
    Pros: cheap, light, you can fly with it
    Cons: Only helps if your buried and you get the mouth piece in your mouth, questionable if you can keep the mountpiece in your mouth in a violent slide, doesn't play well with full face helmets.

I'm sure I missed a few

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by sfotex View Post
    Taken your avy 2 or a WFR yet? Would the money be better spent on edubication vs. an airbag?
    sfbump 4 rock solid questin
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by sfotex View Post
    Well, the money might be better spent educating your partners...

Thanks for the reminder, though. Gonna sign up for WFR asap.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Anyone know where to get a refill in SLC?
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

Apparently the local fire dept. is a good spot.
    Drive slow, homie.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    Anyone know where to get a refill in SLC?
    http://www.backcountryaccess.com/cus...ill-locations/

Nice!!! Thanks Mike.

So that is good Salty Peaks is pretty close to my place. I tried Neptune Scuba on 9th and they DO NOT fill BCA but said some others they do...
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

I pulled the handle on the airbag pack this year. BCA Float 36. It's a nice pack. It's a bit big compared to everything else i have ever owned, but the 18 has so little space and i hear the 30 is just MEH.... Anyhow, yes on the pack for sure. It's gonna help out if anything else, but I gotta ditto the post up there by SFOTEX, yes get some education. I took a whole semester of snow science in college. One of my fav classes... but refreshers and actually digging are the only ways to keep it current in your brain. Avis will kill you. Do what you can to survive.
    I love my family. Kids are the best.
    http://www.praxisskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    I got the Float 18 this year... my only hold up is gonna be WHEN to pull the cord? I've thought back on all of my runs in the BC and tried to picture when I would have actually pulled the cord. It's actually tough to pick out when would have been the times to use it. Is it as soon as you see something fracture? As soon as you determine you can't get out of the way? As soon as you determine it's large enough to bury you?

I'm sure most people with a lot of days in the backcountry can think of at least one time they may have pulled it, no?
    I think when you know you are going for the ride, use it.
    I love my family. Kids are the best.
    http://www.praxisskis.com

Dive Utah in Holladay does refills for $5

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenbeach View Post
    Dive Utah in Holladay does refills for $5
    That is a good deal! Salty is $12.

I wonder if they fill Snowpulse packs?

I had a chance to carefully examine four different airbag systems from Mammut, Wary, BCA and Snowpulse and used the snow pulse extensively last season.
    This season, I've purchased a Mammut RAS 30 as I view it as far and away the most refined backpack of the lot.
    Last edited by mikebrom; 12-10-2011 at 06:33 AM. Reason: video deleted.

^^^ That video was deleted, Mike, and I'm sure one of those manufacturers would prefer to keep it that way. Would be curious to know what happened though.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    ^^^ That video was deleted, Mike, and I'm sure one of those manufacturers would prefer to keep it that way. Would be curious to know what happened though.
    Me too, if you don't mind.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I am planning on going over to Wary and look at their pack this week. At 6 lbs and 33liters, and at the $700 retail price point. Wary to me has the best delivery system that i have seen, my BCA Float 30 delivery system looks like junk compared to theirs.

Since i haven't handled it yet, what did you think were the AviPacks short comings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	inside of pack.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	106160   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	106157   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	106158  

Quote Originally Posted by iamchappy View Post
    I am planning on going over to Wary and look at their pack this week. At 6 lbs and 33liters, and at the $700 retail price point.
    I've been eyeing one too, let me know what you find out.

wow the wary has everything I want in a pack. separate shovel/probe pocket, back access to the main compartment, helmet carrier, light weight.... Any idea when it will be available?

Just wanted to say the mystery ranch blackjack arrived and it is a beautiful, well designed, bomber feeling pack. Very stoked on it.

just a reminder for those of you that have canisters with gauges on them... check them regularly.

http://www.snowpulse.com/en/informat...uches-2009-11/

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    well if it's the only TOOL i guess i'm buyin 3

i'm laughin too
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by Atrain505 View Post
    Just wanted to say the mystery ranch blackjack arrived and it is a beautiful, well designed, bomber feeling pack. Very stoked on it.
    Agreed - mine arrived on Friday. Given the help MR did with the group buy, I am going to try and take some pictures and post up some info in Tech Talk to serve as an info basis for others considering the various options. A very well designed pack.

^^ I know, I've been meaning to do this since I got mine. I hope to do it in the next few days.

photos