Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    wow, I'm actually in somewhat agreement with roj on this one..... and this point was brought up at the Utah Snow and Avalanche Workshop this past weekend.

The point that was raised was that people might be more inclined to buy an airbag pack INSTEAD of a beacon because the statistics show overwhelming evidence that airbags will keep you on top of the snow, whereas, a beacon just allows your partner the opportunity to locate you under the snow. If you're the general public, it seems much more logical to buy the airbag than buy the beacon because the beacon has much more devastating human error results than the airbag.

just a thought
    totally agree with this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

roj

Anybody who would consider buying an air-bag instead of a beacon needs to immediately culled from the population after intensive bitch slapping.
    TGR Bureau Chief, Greenwater, WA

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    totally agree with this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    You're even stupider than I thought then.

Airbags are not going to become the RECCO or "GPS app on my smart phone" enabler of avalanche victims. (Neither of which is a huge enabler of avalanche victims anyway....)

If anything the air bag is likely to become regarded as standard equip. Already becoming so in the alps.

But don't worry you can be like one of the old guys who bitched about them fancy new fangled transceivers......when they caught on
    Last edited by PNWbrit; 11-07-2011 at 03:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

wow, I'm actually in somewhat agreement with roj on this one..... and this point was brought up at the Utah Snow and Avalanche Workshop this past weekend.

The point that was raised was that people might be more inclined to buy an airbag pack INSTEAD of a beacon because the statistics show overwhelming evidence that airbags will keep you on top of the snow, whereas, a beacon just allows your partner the opportunity to locate you under the snow. If you're the general public, it seems much more logical to buy the airbag than buy the beacon because the beacon has much more devastating human error results than the airbag.

just a thought
    horseshit. back under your bridge.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    I'm holdin out for oh shit beam me da fuck out of here scotty tech
    killer usaw nice presentations swag and dealer shizz
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by covert View Post
    horseshit. back under your bridge.
    let me first preference this by saying that I think airbags are a great tool and should be utilized. I have friends that ride with them and I foresee them becoming standard pieces in the backcountry tool box. I'm not going to stop wearing my beacon when i buy an airbag....

that being said, i think there is a high likelihood that people would choose an airbag over a beacon.

you think a kid that's strapped for cash and only has money to choose between a beacon and an airbag is going to choose the beacon??? yea that IS TOTAL horseshit..... that's like saying that someone isn't going to ski in the backcountry without the proper equipment. obviously, you've never been at a bc gate at a ski area or a popular trailhead for winter touring.

you think a kid that's strapped for cash and only has money to choose between a beacon and an airbag is going to choose the beacon???
    yes, that's exactly what i think. great analogy, very perceptive.

your summation of something discussed at usaw begins with a timid assertion "might be more inclined" proceeds to an actual fact "statisitcs show overwhelming evidence" and then concludes with a broad assumption "If you're the general public, it seems more logical..." hence my characterization as horseshit.

if you have a more compelling argument i'd love to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    But don't worry you can be like one of the old guys who bitched about them fancy new fangled transceivers......when they caught on
    Hey now!
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

If they made airbags with a vaginal pocket like a blow up doll I'd bet they'd catch on a lot quicker with the BC crowd.

you think a kid that's strapped for cash and only has money to choose between a beacon and an airbag is going to choose the beacon???
    an airbag is 3x the cost of a beacon. just saying.

they will ski with neither, if given the choice.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

just a friendly PSA, since this thread was started to talk about buying an airbag pack this year, telemarkski.com is having a BCA sale where 1 item is 15% off and 2 is 20% off. Code is bcasave. Good deal if you are looking to buy a float 18 or 36. Ends today I think.

maybe horseshit was harsh.
    i see the issue but not the problem.
    i also see trolls everywhere.

i think airbags have a very long way to go before they could be considered a substitute for a beacon. no matter how much money you don't have.

whaddaya think rog?

Of course you shouldn't wear an airbag instead of a beacon. What if you can't get to the trigger? What if the airbag pops as you get dragged over trees and rocks? What if you pull the trigger but the TSA ganked yer canister cause your goggle tan makes you look too brown?

That said, the statistics are pretty self-explanatory on the success of a deployed bag at keeping you on top. There are so many things going against you being found if fully buried that the argument about wearing a bag instead of beacon makes perfect sense statistically. That said, if you actually do that, you shouldn't ski in the backcountry because you are stupid.

I'm getting a float 36 and am quite psyched. Just another tool. A really good one it seems.
    Drive slow, homie.

Quote Originally Posted by Z View Post
    There are so many things going against you being found if fully buried that the argument about wearing a bag instead of beacon makes perfect sense statistically.
    funny, i thought you were going to use that as an argument for wearing a beacon instead of a bag. kinda works both ways.

like you said z, there are currently too many things that can go wrong with the bag implementation.

maybe someday there will be some kind of recco chip on the bags that you can find with a beacon. that would be handy.

in the meantime i think the bags are very much like an avalung in that they are a great tool when used effectively in a particular situation. the beacon still provides a broader layer of utility than all that newfangled stuff. nothing trumps judgment but shovels are sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by covert View Post
    whaddaya think rog?
    if there was in fact a bag that had a big ole wet vag option, i'd buy it. but i wouldn't tell anyone. wait, that's a lie, i'd tell everyone. i am icelanticskier!

carry on.............

rog

Quote Originally Posted by Scotsman50 View Post
    If they made airbags with a vaginal pocket like a blow up doll I'd bet they'd catch on a lot quicker with the BC crowd.
    God damn it - I swear I just saw a video of some guy that was demonstrating an airbag for some class or something, and his buddies had substituted a blowup doll for the bag, but now I can't find it.

I can't believe I didn't bookmark it. I'm a moron.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    God damn it - I swear I just saw a video of some guy that was demonstrating an airbag for some class or something, and his buddies had substituted a blowup doll for the bag, but now I can't find it.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150333912631627

Quote Originally Posted by Z View Post
    I'm getting a float 36 and am quite psyched. Just another tool. A really good one it seems.
    Care to comment on why you chose the Float 36 over the MR Blackjack? Not questioning your decision, just curious.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post

I SAW THAT TOO! FUNNEH!

i recently was at an avy thingy dingy and was (patiently) listening to an AMGAIRC3432, or whatever the fuck guides/instructors call themselves these days, and all of a sudden he starts going on about airbags and shows that video clip.

he was ALL about the airbag. i was biting my tongue. not easy for me to do. it hurts.
    that video made me forget everything. thank god.

rog

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    I had no idea this existed when I posted my revolutionary idea above. How ironic is it that is was my fellow Scottish brethren. Obviously having vaginal pockets in our BC gear is deeply seated in our DNA.

Avu, where the deal was for me....
    Drive slow, homie.

Figured that, just curious. I like the features on the MR better, and was kind of looking for a difference of opinion - like to learn all sides of the story.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by Scotsman50 View Post
    Well Scotty, have you seen the CJW segment in Attack of La Nina?
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

anyone tried the new mammut/snowpule RAS bags?

Quote Originally Posted by ectreeskier11 View Post
    anyone tried the new mammut/snowpule RAS bags?
    haven't tried it but the idea didn't make much sense to me. i didn't see the point in having such an expensive pack not used for its intended purpose. most people have other packs to wear out that cost a fraction of an air bag. all things considered, if the pack is used as intended it will still likely wear out before the air bag system does. well...that is, unless the wearer is doing a lot of slope testing.

if you're using it to have multiple avy pack that you swap out for different length tours, then it's a great idea. but if that's the case, then the ABS system might be better suited your needs.