Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Started out at White Pass, WA, just before my 5th birthday.

'11-'12 will be my 42nd season.

Really looking forward to getting my 5-1/2 y.o. son up on skis...sure hope he's ready & willing...

Enjoy Every Sandwich - Warren Zevon

About 30 years... since I was 4. Never got to really be a true ski bum so I don't rip as hard as a lot of folks on here... but 30 years seems to count for something.

Between 185-190cm mostly, don't have anything shorter than 183cm in the line up currently. I do love ripping around on the oldschool 210 cm's too.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

33 years minus a ten year experiment in snowboarding.

Jeez, comin right up 34 years myself. First times were at my Uncles Cross country lodge up in Grafton, VT, age four. First Alpine was at Big Birch (now Thuner Ridge), a miserable littel bump in Patterson, NY. A little experimentation with boarding in the 90s, never put the two planks away though. Did Tele exclusively for ten years too, what was I thinking?

Here's hoping my knees last another 34 seasons.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

41 years this season, started great gorge NJ think it is mountain creek now,aka "home of the Helicopter" went round the bull wheel and bodyslammed a oriental lady in the same day.
    For a 5yr old I had a busy day. My mother took me. Leather lace up boots beartrap bindings,
    bamboo poles w metal ring baskets, leather basket straps. plastic grocery bags inside my boots and wool wool and more wool. my kids started at three at Holiday Mt NY. I patrol there now and my boys are schredding it up.. This year I will teach them Pro Call Out and they can start earning their points
    Peace and Powder All. Go big or go home!!
    Hope you don't wake up on the snow staring at me!

This season will make 49 years

I first skied in the spring of 1963 at Heavenly Valley, before there was a Nevada side. My family tried to go for New Year's, but the road was closed due to storm and avalanche so we returned home after 21 hours in the car.

If picture loads, it's from a couple of years later in the barely sloped vacant lot, next to family cabin at South Tahoe. I'm the guy without a hat and in the lead. Note the lace-up boots.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1965FriendsSkiing.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	102593

This will be my 20th season, started when I was 2 on little spruce at Stowe (embarrassed to say) at least it was in VT.

Somewhere around 5000 BC in a former life in what is now Northern Scandinavia I strapped ermine skins to sticks that strapped to my feet to run down a reindeer skewer with my atlatl

0 years. Riding sideways til I expire.

Beaver Lake, Mont Royal, Montreal, P.Q., Canada, 1968 - circa 2 2/3 years old.

The memory TR from that day.

A few pics inside that post. For some reason, the link of that image from the blog is totally too big. (I removed it from this post in the thread).

So that would have been over 43 years ago last Spring.
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
    http://madpatski.wordpress.com

we ski the pyramids

europe for living, jackson hole and la grave for fun, valdez for pleasure
    And the winner (loser ?) is yours truly. 54 years ago in Klosters, Switzerland. About 25 surgeries later still pow addicted.
    Equus africanus asinus is a hardworking animal. Respect !

they giving tibet away?

europe for living, jackson hole and la grave for fun, valdez for pleasure
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaag Master View Post
    they giving tibet away?
    Let's hope the future masters of the USA will be more lenient with Americans than they have been with Tibetians....
    Equus africanus asinus is a hardworking animal. Respect !

48 years this winter. Started on the 3rd hole of the Happy Valley Golf Course in Lynn, Mass climbing the hill, then graduated to the rope tow on the 10th hole. Lost Ski Areas of New England web site is a trip down memory lane for me as all the vanished local hills I grew up with live on in all their interweb glory!

This will be my 28th season, first day was when I was 3 at Jiminy peak in MA

Never more than 20 days a season, usually much less, so I can't say "I've been skiing X years". But, at age 40, I just bought my first season pass ever, and season passes for my family (also a first)!

I grew up in VA. First turns we're at jay peak in 1980. I was 9. Family vacations got me to the snow every spring break. And I did my share of low vert midatlantic "skiing" plus gradually more ambitious vacations; honeymoon in Jackson; last ten years I have been living near mt hood getting used to western sized hills; last two seasons learning about backcountry.
    Last edited by acinpdx; 11-05-2011 at 10:20 AM.

I've been snowboarding for ~14 years, started skiing around 17 years ago when I was 3-ish, but don't ski at the moment (looking to get back into it)

49 years here. I started at Kelly Canyon, before the Gee or Jackson in 1963.

Got started when I was six, making it an even 20 years of obsession. I've always wanted to track down the brilliant instructor at Park City who got me hooked, an Australian named Ant, to thank him. Anyone in the global TGR network know the guy?? Wouldn't be surprised.

It's cool to hear everyone's stories.

Quote Originally Posted by -Devin- View Post
    I'm 50 years old and I've been skiing 1.5 years.

Disabled since I was 11 years old in 1973. I always liked but never tried skiing. Went and saw Warren Miller films when they came through town. Favorite sport in the Olympics has always been downhill and super-g.

After moving next to a mountain resort, I finally tried skitski/mono skiing. Goodbye thousands of dollars!

Managed around 25 days last season. Ski from open to close when I can.... making up for lost time.
    Way to get busy. Feck, Ya!
    Welcome
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by SurfyTurns View Post
    0 years. Riding sideways til I expire.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Atta Boy, Devin Get at it!! seen some of the hardware ya'll ride on.
    Cool Shit!.

31 years

Started skiing in December 1980 at the age of 5 at Campgaw Mountain in NJ, 3 runs & 2 lifts.

Started snowboarding in 1993 at Hunter Mountain in NY, my idiot friends thought it would be funny to take me to the top and leave me there as they rode away laughing.

Moved to VT in 2001 and got a pass to Stowe for the next 5 years, then moved to CA in 2006 and got a pass to Mammoth. Still a jong but coming along nicely...
    "In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."