Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

How long have you been skiing?

Saw this post from a few years back and thought it would be fun to start it again. How long have you been skiing and where/when was your first time?

This season will be 31 years for me.

First action was at Doe Mountain (somewhere in eastern PA) circa 1980.
    northern lights and southern comfort...

24 years. First at Eldora some time around 1987-1988 season.

22 years, this December. Started at Pico Mountain ~1989-90.

15 yrs, first time was at blue mt in the poconos

40 years. Started nordic skiing at Dartmouth in 1971. Now love BC in BC (backcountry in the lodges of B.Columbia), nordic racing over long distances, and June skiing in Summit County, Colo.

42 Years. Do I win?

First year was at Birch Hill, NY (yuck) and Belleayre, and all of the first 6 years was on the east coast.
    Sometimes pride comes after a fall.

31 years. First time was in La Crosse, WI near the 'ole Mississippi. Then spent my childhood skiing in S. Dakota and MN. We didn't brag about powder days, we bragged about how we were out on the coldest, windy, icy, nasty below zero days... and then we'd brag about the powder days we had on our trips out west. For the life of me, I can't understand now (living out west) I could have had so much fun growing up at a little small-town family run ski hill...

20 years this season. First time was at Snowbird when I was 2 ('88-'89 season). Grew up skiing Snowbird and Brighton since they were free for kids, then when I was 11 I moved in with my dad and started skiing Snowbasin. Moved around a bit in the last couple of years, but have been at Snowbasin for ~11 years now. Missed the last couple years due to injury, but I'm back at Snowbasin this season. Stoked.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

40 years, Chester Bowl. Ski jumping, one hill and a rope tow. 90m,35m,20m,10m jumps made for a lot of "I dare you" moments. I think a season pass was $10.00. Duluth MN.

I've been once or twice. I mostly hang out in the lodge and hunt cougars.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

20 years. Bear Valley in Norcal was where I cut my teeth. First day it was dumping, I fell down all day, got stuck in the middle of a blue run for 30 minutes trying to get back into my snow covered binding, ended up totally cold and wet...and I have been hooked ever since.

23 years. Started skiing at Cypress Bowl and Whistler. Not sure if x-country counts, but was doing that from when I could walk and stated downhill at age 12.

Starting my 22nd season. I am 24.

First runs were in the backpack at Mammoth ("mowdows, daddy, MOWDOWS!" for moguls), although first self-made turns were at Bridger Bowl in the rugrat trails.

This will be season 26. First turns on Ego Flats at Mt. Spokane December of 1985.

Season 24 this year for me.

21 years. I was 3 when I was lapping the magic carpet at Breck bell to bell. I would ski on trips out west about every year and at Perfect North outside Cincinnati the rest of the time. It's much better out here.

Damn, everyone is 20+ years. This will be my 8th season I started really late in the game, as I was really into surfing. Luckily, one of my surf buds suggested we hit Mammoth for some snow boarding. I did some research and at 45 decided snowboarding wasn't for me, so we drove up, rented skis and fuckin loved it. Bought season passes when they went on sale that April and have gone from maybe 5 days that first season to 40+ planned this year. Nothing more fun than a good day skiing or surfing for this old jong
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

1984- Ward Hill, MA on mismatched skis. It was awesome.

31 years but I really want to post this picture of the only sweet potato that grew in my container garden. Whadayathink?

watch out for snakes

skiing? whats skiing?

going on season 19 for me. guess im the young minion POS buck here. first turns were at vail. grew up at MRG/Jay. 4 years in college at Greek Peek. Been skiing the bird, alta, j-hole, squaw every yea for the past decade or so.

This will be my 21st season. First time was at Pine "mountain" in the UP.

36 years of skiing. My first day was at Jackson Hole as a four year old. I couldn't get enough of it after the first day and I still can't. I've always wanted to digitize the slideshows that we have of those mid 1970's trips to JH and put up a TR. Someday I will.

Since that first day of skiing in the mountains I've made the pilgrimage west (or to Yurp) every year but one (35 of 36) but still remain a flatlander. I've taught my stepson to rip pretty good now and I cannot wait to get my little girl on skis. I only hope I can show her half of what my parents showed me and in and unlikely twist she seems to be the one thing that might convince me to uproot for the big hills.

I think 5 years but many years in the mountains both summer and winter. I grew up in MD so I don't count the couple of times I went when I was younger. With a little one in tow now I'm stoked to hear about people who started when they were little. She'll be able to tell the same story.
    Last edited by concretejungle; 10-28-2011 at 09:01 PM.

23 years snow sliding. First 5 skiing and then I turned to the darkside for the last 18.
    I think you have me confused with someone who is far less awesome.

Technically I started in utero, so 35 years.