Grand Targhee cat skiing

5 day, 3 day skiing trip planned out to Jackson. Never been to J-Hole or Grand Targhee. Been doing some digging and I see Grand Targhee has cat skiing for $199/349. Anyone have any reviews of the operation?

What terrain does it open itself up to? Lots of untracked bowls? Is it worth it?!?

last discussion of this operation was like a decade ago so I thought a new thread might be needed

It rocks. and by that I mean its deep, fun and good operation. Terrain is blue 100-1500 vert, untracked. dec early season rocks for $250 with lodging Say hey to Shannon
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    It rocks. and by that I mean its deep, fun and good operation. Terrain is blue 100-1500 vert, untracked. dec early season rocks for $250 with lodging Say hey to Shannon
    early march. staying town of jackson.

Got a last minute passholder deal last year. Went early April, 2 feet of snow the previous 48 hours. Had an excellent, fast group, which makes an obviously big difference, and got in over 20,000 feet vertical. Guides were a very cool crew and kept us spinning all day, don't think we actually got back to the base area until around four. Hit it about as well as possible, face shots every run. That said, for $200 without the last-minute pass discount, it's a lot of coin for meadowskipping. There are some trees with a couple little rollovers, but very mellow terrain. March should be good with La Nina hitting, but that said, all of the terrain that the cat serves is south facing, and with a couple warm days that aspect gets very funkified quickly. My personal rec. is to wait until game time and decide based on conditions.

Besides cat-skiing Targhee also offers early tracks.
    Great way to freshen up your morning!

Don't waste your time with the cat skiing. Not really worth it, IMO. It takes you up a mellow pitch and then you go down. I guess it's nice because there are less tracks, but it's Targhee. It's ALL less tracks....besides, just hike Peaked/Marys - same idea but better terrain. Marys is only 10 min (tops?) from the "gate." Peaked isn't to much further after that.

And in addition, you can ride off the road to the lift, the north facing trees opposite of that also brew up some largish pillows if you enjoy being air born in the trees - I do, I HIGHLY recommend this

There are some other less obvious AMAZING zones tucked in all around the resort. If you are in the Jackson area, and the snow is flying, you owe it to yourself to go check out the Targhee. Preferably right when marys and peaked open after the storm. If you get bored with ALL OF THAT in a day....you are probably retarded good or just retarded, . But seriously, Targhee is great. And if air time is your thing, you have plenty of easy foot access to air all day.
    Last edited by astralboy15; 10-24-2011 at 11:03 PM.

Run it,
    It ain't AK puckering, but you'll have fun with the right folks. Have a buddy Chris driving the cat, Eric & Walshy guiding. Check it out for a day and enjoy it.