Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Powder skis for skinny late bloomer?

Age 55, living in pow pow heaven in West Colorado, and ready to up my game. I'm 5'11" but only 148lbs. no matter how much I eat.

Been learning on my first AT setup - Atomic MX9's, 170 w/Silvretta Pure, Lowa Structuras. Love it, but when venturing into powder sometimes found myself flailing instead of floating. Learning at this age I need all the help I can get from good gear. Just worked up to some double diamond runs at Snowmass. My backcountry pals are telling me to get shorter, fatter skis.

From all I've read here, the Armada JJ's have a slight edge over Voile Drifter and ON3P Billy Goat. Voile is lighter, which would be nice on the uphill grunts chasing the younger dudes up. JJ's are just 1.5 lbs more, with the BG's a bit more.

But I'm liking the reports of how nice the JJ's turn with that r=14. I like turning in the trees, and on the open slopes I prefer control and turning to ripping. With an AT setup I'll mostly be backcountry, but also will use for powder days at the lifts.

Also looking for size advice. I know that many posters are encouraging longer skis with the rockers. But with my weight and less-than-aggressive style, I'm hoping to stay in the 170's with whatever ski I get. All of these skis are much fatter than anything I've skiied before - does that mean I could go shorter? What'cha think?

look at DPS, Lotus 120 or wailer 105's in a 178 with dynafits. you deserve it. and your legs will thank you.
    "Shredding the Gnar Like the Cowboys We Are"
    www.alaskaheliskiing.com

Quote Originally Posted by paonia View Post
    Age 55, living in pow pow heaven in West Colorado, and ready to up my game. I'm 5'11" but only 148lbs. no matter how much I eat.

Been learning on my first AT setup - Atomic MX9's, 170 w/Silvretta Pure, Lowa Structuras. Love it, but when venturing into powder sometimes found myself flailing instead of floating. Learning at this age I need all the help I can get from good gear. Just worked up to some double diamond runs at Snowmass. My backcountry pals are telling me to get shorter, fatter skis.

From all I've read here, the Armada JJ's have a slight edge over Voile Drifter and ON3P Billy Goat.
    1) Any reasonably modern (last 5 years) powder ski will float better than a 170cm MX9. That is a tiny ski.

2) At your size, buy a rockered (tip rocker only, or "5-point" rocker like JJ/ RP112/ any number of new skis in that mold) ski in the circa 178-183cm range. Do not buy anything 175cm or shorter. Length helps with fore/aft stability in deep snow.

3) Voile Drifter is a light BC ski. I wouldn't recommend it for inbounds usage, but for BC only, it's great. Can be found cheap too.

4) Don't fixate on the ski's designated turn radius, if you're primarily looking at this as a powder ski. Think smearing/surfy turns, not carving, for powder.

5) If you need this to be a versatile BC/ inbounds powder/ all-day ski, then get something light weight (8-9lbs/pair), around 105-115mm waist, tip rocker only, with some sidecut.

Also consider getting a better (laterally stiffer) binding than the Silvretta, and consider upgrading your boots too. If you have the $ to throw at it, get a Dynafit binding, and Dynafit-compatible boot; if you're a mellow and light weight skier, Dynafits will hold up fine for powder days inbounds. There are a lot better-skiing (up and down) and lighter-but-stiffer boots than the Lowa Struktura these days. (I owned a pair of Strukturas awhile back; squishy and unsupportive boot IMHO.)
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

as a fellow skinny guy, I'll echo the DON'T GO SHORTER sentiment. You'll have a plenty easy time turning the right ski in the 178-ish range. If you want to go on the cheaps, look for a deal on the rossi s3, that ski I think would do it all for you. There's a boatload of reviews on it here, search 'em out!
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

I'll second the idea of losing the Silverttas. Getting a new AT boot with some dynafits will be the way to go. You will saved a good bit of weight over your current bindings and boots and be able to ski a lot better. Anything that helps you go up the hill when skinning is advantageous.

How long have you been skiing and what type of terrain are you going on? Those are not beginner sticks your tossing out there.

Thanks amigos,

And I thought all I needed was skis... now I'm gonna dig deep and sweet talk the wife for the full setup. But I'm sure you're right.

Sounds like dynafits are the category killer. I knew they were light, but also more support! Looks like more research on models and boots. Is there just a basic DF setup that would cover my needs?

Kire - I've been sking about 10 years, but not a ton of days each year. Most of the area sking at Snowmass, progressing from blue groomers to trees, moguls and powder. But still shying away from the steepest runs. I go out to the backcountry with some good experienced Colorado skiers and although they are kind, I ski like a newbie in the powder bowls. Should get more time this winter and psyched to improve. I realize the skis I mentioned are not for beginners, but is there a risk in buying a ski that is designed for advanced skiers when I'm not there yet? I was hoping that it would be something I'd grow into.

Thanks for the other ski suggestions. Is tail rocker bad or just irrelevant for my style?

jfost - thanks for the length encouragement. Looked at the S3 - its not as fat as the ones I was looking at. Since I'm looking for a powder setup, wondering if 98 underfoot would give me the float?

Didn't know about DPS - they look sweet too. This ain't gonna be easy!

I wouldn't rule out the Drifters. If you're light, and prefer lots of turning to high speed ripping, that sounds like it would be a great choice. Just my $0.02.

you're not going to set the DIN to 12, so get the Dynafit ST, which is DIN 10.
    The Radical is new this year, I don't know where it fits in the dynafit lineup, maybe it replaced the ST.

Check out Atomic BLOG. 110mm underfoot is perfect for skier profile. Amazzzing ski for pow days but also great all mountain versatility. Rockered tip/tail with camber underfoot. Powerful ski w/ no metal.

If you don't want to go that wider (110mm), highly recommend the ACCESS from Atomic @ 100mm underfoot and rockered tip.

k2 sidestash or even Pon2oon? DPS lotus 120 or wailer 112RP? Voile Charger? 4frnt CRJ? Armada TST? Fischer watea 114 or 120? Black Diamond Megawatt or Amperage? Salomon Shogun?

Definitely ditch the silvrettas. This will make a more than noticeable difference.

Rejoice sir, for you are in the enviable position of buying new toys! Don't sweat the details to much either. Coming from your current setup, most all of these will blow your mind in powder.

rejoicing

Thanks all, many great tips and most of all support to talk the wife into early xmas present! Can't wait to get on some current powder gear this winter. That's quite a list of skis ya'll have sent along - will try to keep learning but shopping time is here so might have to pick one out of the hat. Someone's gotta keep the economy going....

At least I have a few things sorted out: bindings (Dynafit ST), length - no shorter than 175, width (at leasts 110), rockered (double rocker might be optional?). Any more ideas out there?

178 DPS Lotus 120

This is what you should buy!

You should stick with a ski that is 98-110 for a powder ski at your size. Pick either end of the spectrum based on how much untouched you will see. I wouldn't go wider at 150 lbs.

i was also wondering why many of you aren't recommending tail rocker. i'm in a similar situation as the OP. throw the Line Bacon's into the ring? that's on my radar...

tail rocker usually has sucked in my opinion. If you can't get a ski to stop/slow down, get a shorter ski.
    Having the tail up in the air for extra length can suck if you are going forward 98% of the time.

FWIW, I just bought skis with tail rocker so.

2010 Volkl Gotama, 186cm, Dynafit FT, I weight 145 lbs.
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

Is there such a thing as too much float? A couple of you have said that I shouldn't go much fatter than 110 with my wispy build. That made me wonder - in my limited powder experience, I've noticed skiers bouncing up and down to slow down. Would a too-fat ski prevent me from rising and sinking in the powder?

If so, then maybe the DPS Wailer 112 instead of the Lotus 120, Armada TST instead of JJ, Voile Charger instead of Drifter, Line SF Bacon instead of Mr. Opus??

I realize the skis I mentioned are not for beginners, but is there a risk in buying a ski that is designed for advanced skiers when I'm not there yet?
    As a recent learner who has progressed to fatter skis don't be put off. Generally they will make life a lot easier for you in the soft stuff. That said I have some lotus 120s and find them to be great in the soft but they have very much a 'fall line mentality' and it sounds like you might prefer something a little more playful. I would vote something between 105-110 underfoot with plenty of tip rocker and perhaps a touch of tail rocker.

I am 145lbs and was looking at the Praxis Backcountry, Wailer 112rp, Atomic Blog and Volkl Nunataq for exactly this kind of application and ended up going for the Wailers in a 178.

From all I've read here, the Armada JJ's have a slight edge over Voile Drifter and ON3P Billy Goat. Voile is lighter, which would be nice on the uphill grunts chasing the younger dudes up. JJ's are just 1.5 lbs more, with the BG's a bit more.

But I'm liking the reports of how nice the JJ's turn with that r=14. I like turning in the trees, and on the open slopes I prefer control and turning to ripping. With an AT setup I'll mostly be backcountry, but also will use for powder days at the lifts.

Also looking for size advice. I know that many posters are encouraging longer skis with the rockers. But with my weight and less-than-aggressive style, I'm hoping to stay in the 170's with whatever ski I get. All of these skis are much fatter than anything I've skiied before - does that mean I could go shorter? What'cha think?
    OMGosh! A Jizz-ong that did his research! I commend you sir on you work ethic.
    You have the right idea, I'll echo the others here. Alot of shorter skinny guy worry too much about length. Don fix-hate too much on that. Once you get the 185 JJ in some fluf you'll be happy and amazed at how eazzzy they are to mang-handle. You'll be stoked.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

Is there such a thing as too much float? A couple of you have said that I shouldn't go much fatter than 110 with my wispy build. That made me wonder - in my limited powder experience, I've noticed skiers bouncing up and down to slow down. Would a too-fat ski prevent me from rising and sinking in the powder?

If so, then maybe the DPS Wailer 112 instead of the Lotus 120, Armada TST instead of JJ, Voile Charger instead of Drifter, Line SF Bacon instead of Mr. Opus??
    Short answer, is it depends on preference. IMHO, yes there is such a thing. Someone else had wise words about 98-110mm, depending on how much of the white gold you'll see. I would shift the spectrum to 105-115ish but it's a personal thing. I'd also echo the sentiment that tail rocker is very blah. You're on the right track. I'd recommend to stay away from the line cooked noodles, but others will no doubt say the opposite. The other 3 skis you mentioned are all primo choices. Also, the lotus 120 should not be pushed aside as it's a very different animal to the wailer 112. No tail rocker and heaps of tip to tail taper.

The wider it is, the more effort and muscle to put it over on the groomers between powder. It may also be more work in chopped up snow. I somehow feel like the TST might be a good choice for you.

Local ski shop confirmed what this thread is saying about not needing tail rocker. Said that is for the bottomless days, but here in Colorado, bottomless in the backcountry usually means high avalanche risk. Anyone want to give voice to the tail rocker case?

He was recommending Black Diamond Justice as a good choice for here - and said the 175 would be right for my weight and non-aggro style.

Nickel, I see what you mean about the Lotus - but worried about the 120 girth for me. And what's up with the Line noodles??? The new Bacons sound like a decent choice at 108.

Playful sounds like what I'm after rather than bombing. Would the TST's have enough float for the powder? Or is it back to the JJ's?

Got a great demo of the Scarpa Maestrale with the new Radical - looks like a sweet setup.

Dps Wailers 105 or 112 I think would be just fine for you. I have both with Dynafits and considering that i have been (re)learning to ski in the past three season, getting into the backcountry and I am not particularly young either (45), those skis proved to be incredible. of course both work great in powder and definitely hold their own on the groomers. besides that, as everybody knows, they are super light.
    honestly, you can't go wrong with those.
    (Lhasa pow with dynafits would work great too).

I think the Justice is a good call for you. They are by no means chargers (quite the opposite) but they're light and easy to ski.

There's a pair of cheap 174 rockered Anti Pistes (same ski as Coombacks with tele inserts, but can be drilled for Dynafits) on eBay. Those would also serve you well. Get the cheapest Dynafits you can find in good condition (except for the Tri Steps, don't get those). In my opinion the best the about each tech binding release is the drop in price of the older versions.
    Last edited by I've seen black diamonds!; 10-30-2011 at 06:26 AM.

Tail rockered skis are a lot of fun in powder, and are great tree-skiing skis (fast-turning, pivoty), but can be much less stable on firmer or icy snow.

For a ski that will be used for backcountry skiing and skinning, I would not pick a tail rockered ski: it will give up too much traction while skinning in an established skin track. It'll be OK for breaking trail, but I wouldn't want to always be the person breaking trail uphill just to get traction.

The BD Justice might work. It's light, but pretty soft -- perhaps too soft? Depends on your preferences in skis. BD skis in general tend to be available pretty cheap on clearance or season-end sales, and the Justice is a year or two old, so there may be some deals out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    With a name like SUPER 7ins
    They gots to be good ...
    or I hear pm gear makes a bomber new light weight carbon ski
    fkna in the biggest little sumthi sumthin usa
    Pm ICEMAN FOR MAGGOT REP CODE
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno