Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Toenail care

Toenail care

It is that time of year, get your feet ready for cramming them into boots. I do not give a shit about my feet in the summer, but winter is different. A toenail gone rogue can fuck up a month of pow turns.

Sitting here with my tea, breakfast and some nail tools.

Couple sized clippers

nail file.

nail polish to fill in any cracks, like a hardener.

do it!
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

get them removed. 1 week of excrutiating pain, another 5-6 of discomfort and then no more issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

^^^ Sniped!

Ehh... I just remove my toenails with a pair of pliers. Problem solved.
    Last edited by Lindahl; 10-13-2011 at 12:55 PM.

I lost the my right big toe nail each year for the last 5 years, and another 5 year stretch before that. I'm surprised it keeps coming back.

I think I'll go with bigger boots this year. FWIW, my right foot is a size larger than my left.

Same thing here, Bosco. Bruises early season, continues to take abuse throughout the season, then in about march, succumbs to death and falls off... Then, just about the time a new season rolls around, it's just finally fully grown back in ready for a new season. My very own toenail calendar! It's almost as if God intended it that way...

Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    FWIW, my right foot is a size larger than my left.
    Hey, me too! It was a 1/2 size until a year or so ago. Now I am 45, and my right foot suddenly got longer. As an insult to injury, the right big toe is also the only one with the foot fungus, which has happily lived there since I was 16. That was when in got stepped on by a hockey skate in the locker room

A few years back, half of my right big nail fell off, but the other half survived somehow. Then the new nail grew in over the 1/2 that was still attached, and it's been growing like that ever since. My right nail is all fucked up looking and has a weird right angle in it that does not seem to want to grow out (been like that for ~3 years now). chicks dig it.

Use the search function--under ski edge tuning or ski edge repair--pretty much the same.

holy shit on the foot problems dudes, vibes. Does that hurt riding with no toe nails?

I cannot imagine not have the extra strength of my toes WITH nails.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

^^^ mine is on in-season, turns black by end-of-season, falls off after-season, and then grows back by start-of-season. It's a little like the movie ground hog day...

+1
    Although mine are gone by the middle of the season after suffering a fatal hit sometime early in the season. No matter how close I trim them, they still get killed. Last year it was kicking a booter up some real firm eastern snow. All summer I go around in tevas with ugly toes and by this time of year they are grown back and looking semi normal.

This thread would be so much better with pictures!

Last winter was the first time I hadn't lost my toe in years. But then I always lose it playing soccer in the summer. My left foot is 1/2 size bigger than my right, so it takes the beating. Here's a picture of the grown back toenail from losing in back in June. We'll see how it does this winter.

bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    get them removed. 1 week of excrutiating pain, another 5-6 of discomfort and then no more issues.
    Paging Beaterdit....
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

The offending toe is on the right. Nice and clean right now, but waiting for destruction in the coming winter.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	toes.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	101464

Quote Originally Posted by bklyn View Post
    Paging Beaterdit....
    hahahahahahahaha

I'm hoping this is the year my toenail murdering stops thanks to my new boots.

Traditionally, the height profile on most boots gets narrower as you move from heel to toe. This results in your toes getting wedged into the end of the boot. The last few years, I've been religious about keeping my nails short, but I've still lost the big toenails on both feet. The length shouldn't be an issue since my nails were sitting well back from the end of my toe since I kept them well trimmed. So, I'm convinced it's because there's not enough height in the toe box.

Lange did something awesome last year with their RX 130s (and probably the RSs too). This year's boot is basically the same. When I tried them on, I pretty much jumped for joy. Basically, they kept the same Lange fit throughout the entire boot but blew out the toe box in front of the metatarsals. There's tons of room there now and you can wiggle your toes around at will. So no more smashing your toes into an impossibly small toe space. The rest of the boot holds wonderfully though.

I'm buying a pair this year and hoping my toenail problems are gone. We'll see...
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Quote Originally Posted by AllanONeil View Post
    This thread would be so much better with pictures!
    First time I have ever disagreed with that comment.
    "We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life, to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment at no matter what. -George Santayana, The Philosophy of Travel

...it would probably bother me more if I wasn't quite so heavily sedated. -David St. Hubbins, This Is Spinal Tap

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke of Hurl View Post
    First time I have ever disagreed with that comment.
    Come on....you gotta love it!

Lost my toenails after my Europe trip this year and skied all season in Australia without them. It was awesome.

They have only just 3/4 grown back, wonder how I can stop them?

I think you guys need some better boot fitters. Never lost a toenail from skiing, but I lose a lot from trail running. My issues are ingrown toenails. Nothing like digging in your toe looking for the spear that broke off from the main nail and is burrowing through your foot.

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    holy shit on the foot problems dudes, vibes. Does that hurt riding with no toe nails?

I cannot imagine not have the extra strength of my toes WITH nails.
    It was sensitive for a bit, but hurts significantly less than skiing with an infected ingrown toenail did. It took a few months to really fully heal but now there is almost a callus, or at least some sort of harder skin grown where the toe nail used to be. Definitely no regrets getting it done - although I do get a lot of questions and strange looks when I wear sandals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

high school football messed mine up and they have been screwed ever since. i think im gonna get then removed this year and suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    I think you guys need some better boot fitters. Never lost a toenail from skiing, but I lose a lot from trail running. My issues are ingrown toenails. Nothing like digging in your toe looking for the spear that broke off from the main nail and is burrowing through your foot.
    ...and get out of the backseat. My toe problems improved immensely when I started to ski better (not that I don't ski like shit most of the time.) No shine bang either these days.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    You have a point... The shell fit on the two boots I've had this problem with were fine. However, the damn liners were short lasted. I can see the gap on my Falcon's since they have clearish plastic.

With my old San Marcos I was able fix the problem by stretching the liner. I then loved these boots, well, that is until one of them broke in two. With the Falcon's I couldn't stretch the liners, so I ended up cutting a slit in the end, which eased the pressure, but is not a total fix.

I'm getting new boots this year when I make my move to Tahoe (Cameron Park).