Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Skiing on grass and rocks on Indy pass, 10-12.

My best few short POV vids of the fall:

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z...GOPR0007-3.mp4

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z...GOPR0001-1.mp4

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z...GOPR0020-1.mp4

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z...t=GOPR0023.mp4

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z...t=GOPR0015.mp4

The elks havent gotten hit near as hard as the San Juans, but certain areas windfill pretty well and are easily accessed. This can be a blessing, but it can also do not so good things to stability and snow quality. Went up yesterday, stability was good, coverage was acceptable, but unfortunately the snow was semi breakable crust and wind packed. Still fun, this has been a short summer but I'm still starting to get bored with mnt biking hiking and other summer passtimes, it was good to just be out skinning around.

The goods. I skied the obvious windlip, the chute to lookers left and the far lookers left shoulder are also both skiable with good coverage.

Saw this little guy up there, not enough other tracks to get an idea of its stride, but the hole next to it is from a ski pole for reference. Anyone know what kind of critter made the track?

I skied the windlip, coverage was good, I was planning on going back up to hit the chute to lookers left, but honestly the snow quality wasnt great, and I was tired after a long run of days with no rest day so said fuck it. Still, fun tuns.

What was actually more fun to ski was the windfill that had drifted in below this years cornice and on top of last years cornice. If you look in my first pic you can see this line better.

Get out there and get some in the next couple days before it melts. Its a tiny little zone and skier compaction will probably help things a lot to have a stable base layer still left when the next storm hits. The snow in those chutes is sort of grabby and has a thin breakable wind crust on top. I'm on 181 coombas which were a bit of a struggle trying to ski slowly and make tiny turns in that stuff, but something shorter and rockered would probably slice through it just fine. I dont even like rockered skis, but for this stuff they'd be the ticket.

Anyone going up in the next few days feel free to shoot me a pm. I told myself that would be my last day for a while but its just fun to skin around at altitude, I think I'm heading back up after I post this.
    Last edited by leroy jenkins; 10-27-2011 at 07:22 PM.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    bump for stoked and down with skiin on grass
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

fox, or maybe yote

good stuff...looks like fun!
    The killer awoke before dawn.
    He put his boots on.

nice david
    "If you make a splash, You SUCK!"
    http://www.tjdavidski.com

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    Anyone know what kind of critter made the track?
    coyote, that's my guess

great way to kick off the season.
    Big skis from small companies at Backcountry Freeskier

Shit was surprisingly good today, I wasn't planning on going up, but decided to this morning on a whim. Some spots were consolidated, supportable, and edgeable, kind of chalky to legit corn in a couple spots.

I have a couple gopro vids Ill edit into this post when they finally finish uploading.

For the people guessing canine, look closer, I admit its not the best pic and the track was faint to begin with but whatever it is has fingerlike toes, being both longer and way more splayed out in relation to the size of the center pad than any canine track I've ever seen.

Also, if you look close each fingertoe seems to have one obvious pad as well as another smaller pad just in front of it, which Im guessing means whatever critter left it has a joint/knuckle in each fingertoe.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Bear? The outer most indentations in the snow could be the claws, making it look like that. Either that or a bobcat.

How big was the center pad?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Bear? The outer most indentations in the snow could be the claws, making it look like that. Either that or a bobcat.

How big was the center pad?
    I do beleive its a bobcat, at first I thought the faint dots on the end of the digits were a second set of pads and I was really confused, but I think they were claw marks that got a little faded out from wind/thaw/freeze. Freaking cool though I'da love to see the guy.

Heres a crappy long boring unedited helmet cam vid. I actually have two better vids that show the mild amount of slayage that took place today, I aired the obvious two airs to the right of this line at the top and left of it a couple turns down, but neither of those vids will upload, so this is what ya get. Fast forwards to about 5 minutes if you want to skip the boring scenery and getting gear on shots. Then again its october so maybe someone will be stoked to watch 5 minutes of footage of mountains with snow on em, I care not, and neither does my lack of editing software. Regardless, solid supportable snow with takeoffs landings and enough room to ditch speed in early october when only 2 feet of snow has fallen = money.

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z...t=GOPR0001.mp4

I seem to be the only one skiing any of this shit. Seen a couple folks just skinning or hiking around on the ridge but only seen two sets of tracks of people skiing the face in the 4 days ive been up there. Guess everyones still in summer mode.
    Last edited by leroy jenkins; 10-14-2011 at 01:21 AM.

Heres a crappy long boring unedited helmet cam vid.
    Don't sell yourself short, the last 30 seconds of that video was mighty sick for early October. Just wait 'till I post my go pro footage of my office cubicle, then we're talking boring.

I actually have two better vids that show the mild amount of slayage that took place today, I aired the obvious two airs to the right of this line at the top and left of it a couple turns down, but neither of those vids will upload, so this is what ya get.
    Get that shit to upload. Let's see it!

Rested (mostly) yesterday, went up today and got a bunch of sick laps, held a mini comp featuring only myself, jumped of things, moderate amounts of slayage ensued.

Got a bunch of good helmet cam vids, they are all raw footage as I own no editing software, but the runs are short, with no filler, and I tried not to dick around at the top very long before dropping. They're around 1-2 minutes. Heres a teaser, my first and most cautious run of the day.

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z...GOPR0005-1.mp4 Fast forwards to 45 seconds for the skiing.

For anyone within an hour or so's drive, get up there. The approach is melting out but I was able to keep my skis on the whole way skinning up and almost the whole way skiing back down. Lines are skiable for maybe 300 vert, but its the top 150 or so that shines, fucking epic stable hero corn snow with good coverage and stability, amazing for October. The approach will be getting patchy within the next few days and the bottoms of the lines will be getting thinner and sketchier within the week, but the money part which is the first few turns off the ridge will be good for at least a week or more, just getting to it and out of the bottom will get less convenient.

After my first lap I bootpacked back up the line I'd just skied, then made laps on the next chute over the rest of the day.

First air

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z...t=GOPR0006.mp4 Fast forwards to 0:58 for skiing.

Double stager

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z...GOPR0007-2.mp4 Fast forward to 1:30 for skiing.

After my second lap things were starting to warm up a bit and I decided to abandon my existing bootpack up my first run's line because it was more south facing, as well as being above cliffs and pretty damn steep for the top 15 feet, opting instead to traverse out to an easier bootpack up, even though it was much less direct.

The snow was still skiing great though, with the more E/NE aspect still chalky and smooth.

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z...t=GOPR0009.mp4 Skiing starts at 1:38
    Last edited by leroy jenkins; 10-16-2011 at 09:06 AM.

A few pics,

Since things corned up nothing is getting tracked out. You can barely see any of my tracks from today. The obvious tracks on the windlip are from a few days ago when it was still pow.

This shoulder looks to be skiable as well, but I havent bothered.

A view from near the top of the pass.

Still some fall colors lower down.

Figured I'd include this vid as well, nothing all that cool but what the heck.

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z...GOPR0017-1.mp4

didn;t even look half bad! way to get after it
    Webisodes, Blogs, Words and Photos all right here-------->www.chasingsnowflakes.com

way to go. It looks fantastic. Way to get after it! lol

Behold my fluffy goodness, you bastard.

Looking pretty good out that way! Always good to get out, isn't it?
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

Finally saw some other peeps out there shredding it. I'm surprised I've had it to myself this long.

Watch these, they are short and sweet.

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z...t=GOPR0018.mp4

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z...GOPR0020-1.mp4

A good days work.

yaaaa! that was a super fun day... i've got some decent footage i'm gna throw together a little edit of today and montezuma the other day. i'll post it in here when i'm done. blue bird pow day on october 18! can't really beat that!

Looked like it was a lot of fun out there. Two issues: 1) I don't want to watch 1:30 of you getting set to let fly. Editing required. 2) Camera angle. We will now all recognize your skis. Other than that, looked like fun - good stoke. Looking forward to the season!
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    Looked like it was a lot of fun out there. Two issues: 1) I don't want to watch 1:30 of you getting set to let fly. Editing required. 2) Camera angle. We will now all recognize your skis. Other than that, looked like fun - good stoke. Looking forward to the season!
    WAAAAAAHHHHH! I think you're looking for this thread. http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...world+problems

I know this thread pales in comparison to all the sick stoke youve posted here, but it sounds like you only watched the first vid? Yes the camera angle moved when I landed and made an awesome high g turn, life goes on. And yea, I was excited to ski and didnt really think about how long the pre skiing parts were in the vids, todays vids are much more concise. Since you noticed, can you recommend me a good free editing program? I've been too busy doing awesome shit to worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ballinbu View Post
    yaaaa! that was a super fun day... i've got some decent footage i'm gna throw together a little edit of today and montezuma the other day. i'll post it in here when i'm done. blue bird pow day on october 18! can't really beat that!
    Awesome, good meeting you guys, look forward to seeing an actual edited video. Feel free to use any of the vids I've posted in here if you like.

Oh and one more boring undedited vid looking at my feet. http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z...t=GOPR0023.mp4

Nice.

Not to ruin the nature buzz but that really looks like a dog print. I'm going with siberian husky.

Leroy, is that ridge west of the top of the pass? What wind did you encounter? What time of day was it? Nice work.

Looks like Mountain Boy just to the south? I came over Monday morning and it still looked too boney for me?

But my survival instinct is getting stronger as I grow old and the MTBing is still good!

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Looks like Mountain Boy just to the south?
    Yeah, looks like that location to me, as well.

Went up with yemntftb today and got a couple very fun runs, here he is getting his first turns of the year, 30 second vid, watch it.

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z...GOPR0001-1.mp4

His next line.

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z...GOPR0004-1.mp4

Me on a little double stager, 35 seconds.

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z...GOPR0007-3.mp4

Things are pretty well skied out, with not enough coverage for any other zones to be skiable. All the lines in this pic that only have one set of tracks were skied by another party and they all looked very thin, not recommended, the far right two of those tracks looked ok down low. However all the lines we skied yesterday (refer to pic of tracks in post 16) as well as (most of) the far lookers left shoulder which we skied today have a solid base and will support a virtually unlimited number of tracks if anyone just has the itch to ski, I'm sure they'd still ski really well. I think I'm done for a while, singletrack calls to me, but I'll be back up if more snow falls or it turns to corn like the snow from the last storm did.

The last three posters are all correct.

Oh, almost forgot, Blurred, today things were getting a bit too warm around 2, yesterday I think its was a bit earlier, wind was minimal during the past two days but I think its been loading pretty heavily from the west most nights.
    Last edited by leroy jenkins; 10-19-2011 at 05:36 PM.

shoulder looks best. plenty of room for more there from the looks of it. you glad you bothered?

good goin!

rog