View Poll Results: Obnoxious seat-back slammers....in your face....what do you do?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • Do nothing. Just take your lumps. The flight will be over in a few hours.

22 12.57%
  • Immediately put your seatback back...causing similar angst to the person behind you.

23 13.14%
  • Verbally abuse the guy, start a fight with him...TSA comes in and your both arrested.

2 1.14%
  • Waaap the back of that asshole's seat until he moves his seat back up some.

17 9.71%
  • Politely ask the guy to move his seatback up a bit.

15 8.57%
  • Alaskan Rover is a whiny bitch

96 54.86%
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Airplane etiquette.... that guy who slams his seatback in your face.

I absolutely KNEW it was going to happen.

I'm already in my seat on. This guy (and he looked exactly like Joe Pescii...complete with the heavy NYC accent) comes walking down the aisle, talking on his cell phone loud as hell, swinging his carry-on bag all around (one old lady had to duck....another guy wasn't so lucky). Guys totally oblivious to the havoc he's wreaking with his great big bag...still yacking on his cell.

Sure enough, he sits right in front of me...I just knew he was going to somehow. Still yapping on his cell, but at least he subdued that big-ass bag from assaulting anyone else. Stewardess....sorry...flight attendant has to tell him three times to turn his cell off.

So we're in the air...flight attendant gives the all-clear signal for laptops and seatbacks and everything.

And WHAM....Joe Pescii slams his seatback on me to it's absolute lowest position...like SO fucking low I didn't even know they had a setting for. And he didn't just move it back...like I said, the guy slams it back.

Fucker....I could've counted the dandruff on the back of his pin head.

So what do you do in a situation like that?

Me...normally in that situation, I'd just put my own seatback back...but I'd tell the person behind me, and do it nicely (if there even IS a way toi do it nicely...'cause you see, I hardly ever put my seat back...guess I'm too polite).

But this time...no. I'd been watching this self-absorbed jackass since he got on the plane...and that seatback was the last straw.

So I waited a few seconds after he did that....and then WAAAP!!!!
    I smack the back of his seat with the back of my hand. Hard.

"Hey...whatza big idea???", says he.

"Huh? I didn't do anything.", says I.

He goes back to getting ready to take a nap...his head practically in my lap.

I let 30 seconds go by, and........WAAAAP!!!!!

He turns around, looks at me...studies me....I look back at him from my magazine, with a total look of innocence....he determines maybe he's dealing with a lunatic and doesn't say a thing.

But he DOES move his seat up a couple notches.

All was well after that.

Matter of fact, he didn't even assault any old ladies with his carry-on bag on the way out.

Some people and situations just have to be dealt with in a peculiar way.

What would YOU do in this particular case? Any mag have anything similar? Worse?

Airplane etiquette....discuss

--
    Last edited by Alaskan Rover; 10-08-2011 at 10:47 PM.
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

I would've done exactly that.
    And, I would have dropped a booger into his hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    discuss

You forgot to include "Stop being a little bitch" in your poll choices.
    it's all young and fun and skiing and then one day you login and it's relationship advice, gomer glacier tours and geezers.

-Hugh Conway

I travel for work somewhat frequently. Guess I'm used to the seatback thing, and just about everything else on the standard list of travel gripes that will surface in this thread. Also, I don't put my seat back, but that's my choice.

I'll throw some stoke in here. I sometimes get free tv and snacks, and when I am in a row with a mom and kids I try to give my tv swipe and snacks to the kids and mom if it seems appropriate. I really admire the moms (including my wife) who travel solo with their little ones.
    “I mean god damn, who could believe that shit.” Greg Noll, Riding Giants

I absolutely KNEW it was going to happen.

I'm already in my seat on.

Guys totally oblivious to the havoc he's wreaking with his great big bad...still yacking on his cell.

Some people and situations just have to be dealt with in a pecular way.

--

You still fly commercial? A man of your obvious education and experience?

The seats are designed to go back so I've never understood why people think it's "polite" to not recline. Yeah, it would be nice to at least take a glance behind you and put the seat back slowly, but I don't see why you need to make an airplane flight any more uncomfortable than it already is by keeping your seatback poker straight.

That whole post belongs in the first world problems thread. You sound like a whiny passive aggressive petty douchebag. Get over yourself and the abject horror you witnessed that was this guy putting his seat back.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    You still fly commercial? A man of your obvious education and experience?
    Actually...I prefer hot-air ballooning. But it's just so damn slow and you're never sure where you're going to end up...so commuter hot air balloon flights are a little tedious. The champagne is good, though.
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:

Can you not start faking a sneezing and coughing fit ?

It may take a few minutes but i'm sure the leaner backer slowly pulls their seat back up once they conclude youre about to get them sick.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Is this your first time on a plane? This isn't out of the norm. People on a whole aren't polite.

That being said, if I reclined my seat and some douche hole started smacking the back of it, I'd go to the bathroom and on my way back, stop by them and casually whisper in their ear "you think you're a tough guy asshole, meet me at the gate and we'll see who is the tough shit". I bet 95% of the tommy toughnuts like yourself would cut the shit and the other 5% would get arrested for assault while trying to be tough at the terminal.

I win, while not acting like a bitch.
    I think you have me confused with someone who is far less awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    That whole post belongs in the first world problems thread. You sound like a whiny passive aggressive petty douchebag. Get over yourself and the abject horror you witnessed that was this guy putting his seat back.
    No dumbass. You missed the operative word. He didn't just "put" his seatback, he SLAMMED" his seat back....as if the people in the seat behind him don't even exist.

I take it you're one of those seatback slammers, too.

Posted by DJSapp:

doughboyshredder Guest
    AK Rover is a passive aggressive bitch. Who woulda thunk it?

No dumbass. You missed the operative word. He didn't just "put" his seatback, he SLAMMED" his seat back....as if the people in the seat behind him don't even exist.

I take it you're one of those seatback slammers, too.
    Oh yea one of THOSE ______!!! I hate them. THE HORROR!!!!!
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Another point. The man is a paying customer. Sure he could have been more polite in the way he put his seat back. But, does this indiscretion mean you have the right to continually whack his seat and make him acquiesce to what you think your experience should be? Seats only go so far back. Maybe you should have an issue with the airline if the experience is that bad and stop being a bitch. You're in the wrong here, not him.

The seats are suppose to go down. Deal with it.

Someone rudely slams it backwards? Ignore the first one. If it happens again, be an adult and politely inform the dude that he was being rude.

Quote Originally Posted by advres View Post
    Is this your first time on a plane? This isn't out of the norm. People on a whole aren't polite.

That being said, if I reclined my seat and some douche hole started smacking the back of it, I'd go to the bathroom and on my way back, stop by them and casually whisper in their ear "you think you're a tough guy asshole, meet me at the gate and we'll see who is the tough shit". I bet 95% of the tommy toughnuts like yourself would cut the shit and the other 5% would get arrested for assault while trying to be tough at the terminal.

I win, while not acting like a bitch.
    Actually I beg to differ. I think people, on the whole, are VERY polite in public circumstance.

It's just the impolite, self-absorbed jackasses who stand out.

The ol' "meet me out back" bravado? Are you serious? That sounds like it came right out of a movie script. The last time I heard somebody use that tack was at a tiny pub in Belize City, Belize. The guy speaking it was a British Royal Air Force pilot who thought he was the toughest guy in the city. He was flat-out slobbering drunk...and he'd get one inch from your face, challenging you to a fight, spittle spewing from his mouth the whole time. I just told him to buzz off. But I hear he finally picked on the wrong guy and got his ass deservedly beaten later that night by an Aussie. But the British military are like that when they're drunk.

Posted by DJSapp:

Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    The seats are suppose to go down. Deal with it.

Someone rudely slams it backwards? Ignore the first one. If it happens again, be an adult and politely inform the dude that he was being rude.
    Talking to the person, what a novel idea!!! I bet AKR is the type of person who just calls the cops on a neighbors party that is too loud instead of simply going over and explaining they have to wake up early and would appreciate if they turned the music down a bit.

doughboyshredder Guest
    The mirror. Look in it.

doughboyshredder Guest
    Talking to the person, what a novel idea!!! I bet AKR is the type of person who just calls the cops on a neighbors party that is too loud instead of simply going over and explaining they have to wake up early and would appreciate if they turned the music down a bit.
    That's dangerous as hell, and is something that I will never do again. (Attacked by two dudes with a bat). We've gone over this one before. There are many instances of this resulting in severe beatings and killings.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiCougar View Post
    Can you not start faking a sneezing and coughing fit ?

It may take a few minutes but i'm sure the leaner backer slowly pulls their seat back up once they conclude youre about to get them sick.
    EXCELLENT tactic !! Simple and efficient.

Posted by DJSapp:

Actually I beg to differ. I think people, on the whole, are VERY polite in public circumstance.

The ol' "meet me out back" bravado? Are you serious? That sounds like it came right out of a movie script. The last time I heard somebody use that tack was at a tiny pub in Belize City, Belize. The guy speaking it was a British Royal Air Force pilot who thought he was the toughest guy in the city. He was flat-out slobbering drunk...and he'd get one inch from your face, challenging you to a fight, spittle spewing from his mouth the whole time. I just told him to buzz off. But I hear he finally picked on the wrong guy and got his ass deservedly beaten later that night by an Aussie. But the British military are like that when they're drunk.
    Damn straight I am serious. Everyone acts all tommy toughnuts like yourself hitting seats until they get a wakeup call from someone who will stand up for themselves. Would I throw the first punch? Fuck no. It's a goading technique to put pussies like you in their place. I can take a punch and I'll laugh with a bloody nose while you get arrested for assault. But I'm not going to allow someone to continually assault my seat, thinking they are better than me while I have the right to do what I want given the seats are standardized.

I have a very big mouth and have got beat exactly one time in my life. In my experience, when someone is acting all tough like you, a simple, I'm not going to take your shit bitch attitude makes them tuck right in their faggot shell. Besides, what's your bitchass going to do on a plane or in an airport?

Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    That's dangerous as hell, and is something that I will never do again. (Attacked by two dudes with a bat). We've gone over this one before. There are many instances of this resulting in severe beatings and killings.
    The way you were probably whining like a douchebag, I can sorta see how that would happen, heh?

Posted by DJSapp:

doughboyshredder Guest
    EXCELLENT tactic !! Simple and efficient.
    Yet another passive aggressive bitch maneuver.

doughboyshredder Guest
    The way you were probably whining like a douchebag, I can sorta see how that would happen, heh?
    Actually asshole, I knocked on the door and was greeted with a baseball bat to the chest.

Besides, this thread is about you whining like a little bitch about someone reclining their seat on an airplane.

I have a very big mouth
    Yes, I can see that.

Posted by DJSapp: