Page 31 of 39 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast
    "Easily triggered or naturally releasing slabs will continue to grow in size and distribution. Warming temperatures will add to this lethal combination and increase the chance of avalanches. People who travel on avalanche terrain or in run-out zones should expect to be caught in avalanches. The general avalanche hazard is expected to be HIGH in the Tetons ."

^^^From tonight's forecast. Anyone who gets themselves killed in a leeside terrain trap over the next few days should get this inscribed on their tombstone.

Update: Predicted peak wind speeds just upped to 85mph today for west slope @ 9000ft. Don't stampede up to the ghee looking for yesterday's pow if the wind goes above 50mph. Lifts will shut down around 40mph. Wind gauge at resort quit responding six hours ago so rime is probably an issue too.

10am: lifts still down, wind speeds hitting 50mph. Thats a bummer. Glad I waited for the 9am lift status report. On the plus side, looks like the wind arrived early and will leave earlier too.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 02-22-2012 at 11:05 AM.

Best day of the season! Ty rideit. Boy I hope things open up tomorrow AM...

Another 14", should be incredible out there if lifts open sometime today.

Have at it, kids, I should hear the bombs from TOPS this am as the anaesthetics kick in....
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    How bout if I bribe you to bring me lunch this week, A?
    Absolutely! Can't do it today but you're prolly not gonna feel like eating much this afternoon anyway. Thursday or Friday? I can whip up something tasty and bad for the arteries or pick up whatever you want.

Hey Jackson mags -

I'm in town for the rest of the week with friends and would love to meet up with some of the Jackson Hole crew for some BC turns. Anyone heading out in the next few days.

Yesterday was one of the deepest days I've had in years, but we're taking today off due to the crazy weather

HIGH avy danger today and probably over the next few. This is a week to ski the resort: http://jhavalanche.org/.

Quote Originally Posted by samthaman View Post
    I'm in town for the rest of the week with friends and would love to meet up with some of the Jackson Hole crew for some BC turns. Anyone heading out in the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfRelease View Post
    HIGH avy danger today and probably over the next few. This is a week to ski the resort: http://jhavalanche.org/.
    Thanks for that suuuuper helpful piece of advice there, I'm pretty sure my life isn't worth $95 a day though.

edit: sorry that was probably a bit dick, but honestly, condescending much?

Im taking it easy this week but if you need a partner for some mellow stuff PM me Sam.
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

Quote Originally Posted by _Aaron_ View Post
    Im taking it easy this week but if you need a partner for some mellow stuff PM me Sam.
    Aaron, PM on the way, we aren't looking to do anything crazy, just hopefully ski some mellow trees with deep pow.

Info on Togwotee is somewhat lacking, but the avi forecast shows it with a lower danger, and google earth makes it look like there are probably some mellow options. Does that make any sense, or total waste of time? We've been watching the telemetry for the whole region today, and it's pretty crazy.

I am coming in a week and a half. This means you will experience torrential amounts of snow. Your season will be made come mar 3 - 7th.

I am betting the farm here.

Quote Originally Posted by Loinlover View Post
    I am coming in a week and a half. This means you will experience torrential amounts of snow. Your season will be made come mar 3 - 7th.

I am betting the farm here.
    you better not jinx the rideit pow
    . . .

I will enjoy this.

Was trying to pull the trigger on a roadtrip but the holiday weekend nixed my option. Been watching the pummeling the last couple days from warm sunny Tahoe and just shaking my head. Looks like the stormtrack is gonna continue to favor you guys, if things look to set up right the next couple weeks I'll be on my way.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Can't figure out how to subscribe without replying

I may need rides around (ghee-jackson, jackson-ghee, airport) and various other servicwhile in teton land.

skifishbum can vouch for me being true to roo

rememeber mar 3-7th

your winter will be made

Past week has been good folks! Would like to thank everyone for the fantastic energy and atmosphere on the mountain the last couple days.

Here's something to keep you busy until we get back at it tomorrow. See you out there!

If you're being rad and nobody's around to see it, are you really being rad?

www.simonblide.blogspot.com

My buddy and I are thinking of taking a road trip to the Tetons from Tahoe next week, and we need some info from the Teton maggots. What is the best website other than the NWS for weather forcasts? Also, does anyone have any reccomendations regarding budget accomodations in Jackson Hole. We would like to have access to a kitchen. Also, if these questions have been answered before, please refer me to the threads where I can find the answers.

http://www.mountainweather.com/index..._hole_forecast. For lodging I would think google would be your friend.

Use VRBO to find places with kitchens.

Yesterday the whole ski area was like a big pool table: smooth and velvety.

And Tuesday was the deepness. 3-6" expected overnight, 12" reported, and it felt like this everywhere:

I saw these pics on Unofficial, figured they needed to be seen here.

Its not super deep like that ^^^^ anymore with all the wind, but its still skiing fucking great. Super soft everywhere!

Wednesday night around 9pm the BTNF Avy Center registered their highest wind gust EVER: 140 mph at Mt. Coffin.
    Wednesday afternoon on top of the Tram was as gnarly as I've ever seen it. Intense.

Alright, time to go skiing.
    Skiing, whether you're in Wisconsin or the Alps, is a dumbass hick country sport that takes place in the middle of winter on a mountain at the end of a dirt road.
    -Glen Plake

Drictor mags.....need some info on driving times.

Hey all. I'll be heading to 'ghee on Sunday, coming from Boise. Question is, is it quicker to go through Idaho Falls/Swan Valley, or quicker to go to Rexburg/Tetonia?

Thanks in advance, should be a killer weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Fat City View Post
    ...coming from Boise. Question is, is it quicker to go through Idaho Falls/Swan Valley, or quicker to go to Rexburg/Tetonia?...
    Definitely Rexburg/Tetonia. The road from Swan Valley to Driggs can get pretty bad/close when it's snowing, and I've found it to be about a tie time-wise even in the summer. That said, check the road conditions here: http://lb.511.idaho.gov/idlb/ before heading out to get some idea what the roads are like.

Quote Originally Posted by SawtoothExplorer View Post
    The road from Swan Valley to Driggs can get pretty bad/close when it's snowing,
    Just an fyi...the road from Swan Valley to Victor is not the problem...its from Swan valley to Idaho Falls that is the problem, and if that road is so bad that it is impassable it is a certainty in life that the road from Rexburg to Driggs is worse.

My buddy and I will be staying in Driggs at a freinds house 2/27-3/2. We are coming from Tahoe. We will have resort and BC gear with us. It would be great to hook up with some JH mags for skiing or drinks.

Does anyone have suggestions on discounts on lift tickets for Grand Targhee or Jackson Hole?

How often does Teton Pass close? Is the WYDOT website the best source of info on this?