Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PowTrees View Post

If you want to see the ugly on how dry it can get check out 2001-2002...

Was anyone around 1993-1994? It looks pretty dry also.
    I believe 80-81 was real bad - saw a whopping 85" at breck for the entire year.

Article: http://www.summitdaily.com/article/2...NEWS/111209928

Quote Originally Posted by Summit Daily
    > 1980-81 season — This is the year of the snow drought, when the total snowfall for the season was only 86 inches. The ski area opened for three days at Christmas and then was closed from Dec. 26 until the middle of February. This causes skier visits to total only 195,718, almost half a million less than the previous season.
    > 1981-82 season — $2.5 million dollars in snowmaking equipment is installed on Peak 9.
    “I mean god damn, who could believe that shit.” Greg Noll, Riding Giants

What's the saying...A good snow in a bad economy is better than bad snow in a good economy.
    Well, bad snow in a bad economy gets alot of peoples panties in a bunch.

I shed a tear, only because I gotta leave Ak to spend a dry week in CO. Damn, life is rough sometimes... Luckily, rough = 1 week.

Is this what the kids call trollin'?

please karma don't fuck me, I'm only kidding...
    the kids are all wasted on pot listening to heavy metal

That almanac is saying good things for the east coast...they deserve a year here and there. :P

Breck has been blowing snow like I can't remember before, they even had a gun going up at the base of the poma. They've got a lot of acres of groomage open so the general public can spread out a little. Gaw these people need to learn how to ski, so very bad.

The snow quality is great, for groomer. I can caaaarve. Also a little bit of bump terrain open with dirt/rocks in the troughs. Going to check out Keystone today. If I had to ski somewhere with very little base, Summit is as good as any. Sunshine but no serious melt/refreeze. And facets are hissy fun. But as soon as January rolls around it's time to storm chase. Hopefully not all the way up to the PNW!
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by PowTrees View Post
    If you want to see the ugly on how dry it can get check out 2001-2002
    That season was terrible. Base depths never broke the low/mid-40s. Lake Dillon was drained to 56' below it's capacity by the spring of '03. It was a mile from the Frisco Marina to the edge of the water. Based on the law of averages, we're due for a bad year, imo. We've had 4 very good snow seasons ('05/'06, '07/'08, '08/'09, '10/'11) in the last 6 full seasons.
    Old's Cool.

Has anyone gone up and checked out baldy bowl yet this year? I've been wanting to get out for some exercise with the dog, but it doesn't seem like there is enough snow there yet.

storm for Wed/Thurs will again favor the Front Range....no change in site. Might be time to start riding bikes.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

today is my butthurt day....so you can all suck it.

Winter Storm Watch for the Front Range....

and there is this from NOAA thru the 1st week of Jan

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/product...14prcp.new.gif

Yeah...bring on the mountain bikes!
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

massive butthurt...could always ski the gnar at eldora and cross country around boulder, hehe

wwwwwwwwooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww.....a winter weather advisory...well fuck you ULLR, you aren't gonna do a damn thing you lying sack of shit. After this "storm" (cough...bullshit...cough) it's gonna be sunny for 2 more weeks you piece of garbage.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Keystone was pretty awful, every run groomed boilerplate.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

WP/MJ was also boney on Saturday. Although there are some bumps forming...

Quote Originally Posted by gASSyrOBOt View Post
    This suggests silverton/wolf creek/taos will have a weak winter....
    I wear crocs for the style, not the comfort.

Out of all the in-bounds areas I've gone, Vail seems to be the best of the bunch right now. It's a little boilerplate here and there, but for the most part you can rip it on fatties still, and the bump runs are good fun (if you like bumps). Good amount of terrain is open, so the runs aren't too bad, but there were lines on Sunday.

Yeah it's true that Vail probably has the best/most open terrain and conditions, but it's starting to get crowded with the holiday season in full swing. Should be interesting between xmas and new years with no back bowls to spread people out.

Was walking outta midvail a few days ago and some lady came under the fence above vista bahn with her butt on her skis like a human missile. I wasn't on my board so I was able to dive out of the way at the last second, before she trashed me board and crashed into a ski rack. Be careful out there people. It's gaper dodging time for sure...outta control douchers everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by rinsed View Post
    I'll continue to be butthurt until it starts snowing and doesn't stop. We've been hearing of this pattern change for some time now...

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin
    Was walking outta midvail a few days ago and some lady came under the fence above vista bahn with her butt on her skis like a human missile. I wasn't on my board so I was able to dive out of the way at the last second, before she trashed me board and crashed into a ski rack. Be careful out there people. It's gaper dodging time for sure...outta control douchers everywhere.
    REtarded. That shit belongs in the gaper thread. Quality.

Lindahl skis moguls...in jeans...with Dick Cheney.
    You should have been here yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by Gobstopper View Post
    I'll continue to be butthurt until it starts snowing and doesn't stop. We've been hearing of this pattern change for some time now...
    I am usually a glass half empty kinda guy about the weather. I think it's part of being a (former) east coast skier. But I've got faith in the January snow forecast. If the PNW starts getting active patterns, some of the storms are bound to track across. Maybe I'm just drunk on Christmas spirit...or boxed wine. Eh, whining never helped the weather so I'm gonna stick to this for now... the hope not the wine. That shit is nasty.

maybe its kicking in now? mountains nice and (relatively) empty right now before full on gaper season post christmas day. skinned up and hit the mushy trees today. layered but not awful

Quote Originally Posted by montanaskier View Post

Shhhhhhhhhhh...pattern change won't happen if you get excited.
    You should have been here yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by chatton18 View Post
    This suggests silverton/wolf creek/taos will have a weak winter....
    yeah, the early season they are getting down in south CO is not what most would call 'weak'............