Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Went out Earls gates to go monkey around with the snowpack. Patrol bombed a good deal back there. And released a few decent slides.

We tried to cut some hanging slabs with some ski cuts, but couldnt cut deep enough into the dense layer.

Dug some unscientific pits and once we were finally able to isolate a column, it broke loose with a few strong wrist taps.

Spooky, strong energy, but a lot of friction.

Scariest snowpack jbski and I have EVER seen by quite a bit. He mentioned things were looking better out by Berthoud (as of a few days ago), but still pretty bad.

285 just closed just north of Fairplay before Como so I wouldn't try that route today. Just looked out my window and can see a state trooper blocking the road . It's a fucking blizzard out there

Don't blame me I voted for JoJo
    Don't Blame me, I voted for JoJo

Congrats to your 2 kids SheRa

CAIC Vail and Summit (@CAICsummit)
    1/22/12 7:53 AM
    Avalanche warning in effect. HIGH danger. Backcountry travel not recommended. Avalanches very likely today. tinyurl.com/CAICzone2

So who's out there today anyway?

Busiest I've ever seen it at the beav today. Stoke level was super high. Opening runs on grouse were amazing. Actually everything was amazing today.

Basin was great, short to no lines all day on Pali. Upper lot was only half full at noon. Love it when the pass is closed. Westwall to radical is open. Pali still looks a ways off but there are some areas that are good to go. Good day.

got 3rd chair at breck and was worth waiting since 7:30. they were dropping ropes left and right to runs not previously open, so sick. don't remember a time I wasn't getting faceshots.

Beaver Creek sucked today. I repeat, Beaver Creek sucked. No one should ski there- Vail is much, much better. Here's Powtron with proof- this was at around noon today.

“I mean god damn, who could believe that shit.” Greg Noll, Riding Giants

sad. breck was busy, but there were good turns to be found. DEEP in the trees

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Dirt View Post
    Congrats to your 2 kids SheRa
    Thanks.

Keystone yesterday. Plenty of terrain, no lines, just enough powder to interest and challenge kids. Great day.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Vail Mtn reported 5" this morning, but I'm sure it snowed more than that in Blue Sky. It dumped big fluffy flakes until 1:00 or so back there. Was the best day of the year for sure at Vail. VA did a great job opening terrain. I was too busy blazing trails in the woods to catch it, but they did open chair 5. Milts face sucked late in the day, maybe a 6" base on dirt. Proud job everyone did of cutting up the Yonder Trees. I hit it pretty early when they opened a small section of rope just past Steep and Deep, was great to make a few steep turns.

"Early Bird gets the Worm"
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0356.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	852.6 KB 
ID:	108469

Was out at LL to avoid the crowds. New terrain openings: South chutes and a couple runs under 1 made for an awesome day. No lines to speak of, as expected.

Quote Originally Posted by PowTrees View Post
    Vail Mtn reported 5" this morning, but I'm sure it snowed more than that in Blue Sky. It dumped big fluffy flakes until 1:00 or so back there. Was the best day of the year for sure at Vail. VA did a great job opening terrain. I was too busy blazing trails in the woods to catch it, but they did open chair 5. Milts face sucked late in the day, maybe a 6" base on dirt. Proud job everyone did of cutting up the Yonder Trees. I hit it pretty early when they opened a small section of rope just past Steep and Deep, was great to make a few steep turns.

"Early Bird gets the Worm"
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0356.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	852.6 KB 
ID:	108469
    That pic is my only issue with Vail...I love the valley and I like skiing Vail but they totally don't get (and don't care) that they've killed the skiing experience with huge crowds. I'm glad they are going to increase uphill capacity at Visty with the new gondola by 40%.....I'm sure those 30-45 min lines @4 will be much better.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Quote Originally Posted by montanaskier View Post
    That pic is my only issue with Vail...I love the valley and I like skiing Vail but they totally don't get (and don't care) that they've killed the skiing experience with huge crowds. I'm glad they are going to increase uphill capacity at Visty with the new gondola by 40%.....I'm sure those 30-45 min lines @4 will be much better.
    And what used to be nice day after powder stashes at Beaver Creek are rail slide super highways Beaver seems busy to me these days, though I love the mountain and would find great stuff to ride. It is public land after all, maybe you would prefer to ride the Yellowstone Club Getting up early is no problem for me, so I don't sweat the crowds. I'll let it go after this, but it's the 10 days free that made Vail so busy, not the Epic Pass. When Colorado Pass and Merchant pass are blacked out but not Epic Pass, Vail isn't that busy. But, really it's a resort beside a heavily traveled interstate, there was never any intention it wouldn't be a busy place. The business side of me is happy we live in a such a busy place, though I could easily dream of somewhere I could get up without a hurry and ski untouched powder.

Nice pics by Smokkan, know Y'all were riding good stuff, gotta love Beaver I still dream of sidecountry moments there and will be back to ski it someday when the avi conditions aren't stupid dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by PowTrees View Post
    And what used to be nice day after powder stashes at Beaver Creek are rail slide super highways Beaver seems busy to me these days, though I love the mountain and would find great stuff to ride. It is public land after all, maybe you would prefer to ride the Yellowstone Club Getting up early is no problem for me, so I don't sweat the crowds. I'll let it go after this, but it's the 10 days free that made Vail so busy, not the Epic Pass. When Colorado Pass and Merchant pass are blacked out but not Epic Pass, Vail isn't that busy. But, really it's a resort beside a heavily traveled interstate, there was never any intention it wouldn't be a busy place. The business side of me is happy we live in a such a busy place, though I could easily dream of somewhere I could get up without a hurry and ski untouched powder.

Nice pics by Smokkan, know Y'all were riding good stuff, gotta love Beaver I still dream of sidecountry moments there and will be back to ski it someday when the avi conditions aren't stupid dangerous.
    Beaver is in UT. You'll figure it out some day. And I do love beaver.

Board of of WP we went to Copper funny/not so funny shit happened

FUNNY SHIT
    Telers switch skis one know riding the little for him MSP whacked himself in the lip with a tip

Lots of tip diving and wallowing

NOT SO FUNNY SHIT

The line on the Res Chair

lifts stop because of an all mountain power outage

Sitting two chairs from the base of the lift for hour and fifteen minutes

FUNNY SHIT

While on said lift Goober calls back to us and say, " hey ask the guys behind you whats going on" Guy sitting next to me say, "the power is out and they had to go get diesel" Goober says, "oh"

Half an hour goes by
    Same goober sees a couple of young ladies playing under us and says, " Hey show me your booooobs" she does and turns to give our chair a show when the guy next to me and says, "we'd like a show to.

A good day out... 6 of the best runs this year, a comp day , a boob shot, and funny memories, thanks copper.

Here is a little POV of some of the skiing... Still trying to get the angles down and not look around so much...

Threw together a couple of shots from Vail on Sunday. Nothing too crazy, just some fun pow turns. Kept it to 30 seconds for those of you with ADD.

Embedding isn't working for me right now, so here's the vimeo link.

go upside down.

^^^ Steve, those aren't even the best ones

Yes, the Beav sucked.
    You should have been here yesterday!

How do you like the powder guide vest PowTron?

Found some interesting videos today of small slides happening over the past weekend.

Slide at the Beavers sidecountry run off A-Basin: http://avalanche.state.co.us/obs/obs...p?obs_id=11423

Slide at Cameron Pass (granted not in Summit/Eagle) but shows how stupid little stuff can bury someone:

l

Fuckin scary....that second video is pretty intense for only being 20 seconds long. Lots of people getting lucky out there....

holy shit that vid is freaky
    ROLL TIDE ROLL