Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Skied mushroom today and tried to get to bighorn, but ended up going too far left and ended up in racquet club. The snow was great in mushroom and the top of racquet club. Didn't sink into the facets much there. The lower half of racquet club was survival skiing on mostly facets and there was a fair share of obstacles to avoid. We had to down-climb the exit cliff to the skier's left. The pillow lines at the top were well worth going through the mess at the bottom.

As for avi conditions, it wasn't too bad. We only sent off a few sluffs.

Sadly, my phone died and I forgot my camera, so no pics.

NOOO!!! i want racquetball chute pillow stoke!!

Thanks for the beta!

Nice. Glad to see someone else gettin out there. Sounds like you ended up in Bighorn though? Racquet doesnt really have any exit cliff that I can remember, or are you talking about the rocky slope thats usually buried?

Gonna be in that area Fri-Sun if either of you guys want to get out.

has anyone hit bald spot yet? I was looking at it today and looked like it might be good to go soon, but am concerned about avalanche risk... any thoughts?

anyhow, beaver creek was good fun today in rose bowl. it sure is fun to ski pow again

Man it felt good to have a real solid ski day. Good seeing you up there MS.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Nice. Glad to see someone else gettin out there. Sounds like you ended up in Bighorn though? Racquet doesnt really have any exit cliff that I can remember, or are you talking about the rocky slope thats usually buried?

It was definitely racquet club. We thought that rocky slope would suck and were trying to get around to the left and nothing was skiable. Last year, the cliffs skiers left were buried and I would go that way when the rocky slope was getting scraped off near the end of the season.

I'm off tues-wed-thurs every week, so I'll be working.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post

PoopGhost, smmokan, and myself are targeting some Vail/EV action depending on totals for Sunday
    You should have been here yesterday!

^^^ you guys be careful, if this snow is as wet and heavy as it looks like it might be, it'll be a shitshow in EV. Good decisions this weekend everyone.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Quote Originally Posted by PowTron View Post
    PoopGhost, smmokan, and myself are targeting some Vail/EV action depending on totals for Sunday
    Smmokan has not approved this statement.

kooks will be kooks

I hope you guys are leaving at 4am or earlier.... actually, I don't.... no hard feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by PappaG View Post
    I hope you guys are leaving at 4am or earlier.... actually, I don't.... no hard feelings.
    Knock on wood, but I'm pretty sure a 4am departure isn't needed. Unless the forecast changes and there's suddenly 2-3 feet coming, that is.

Even if it's inches on the ground, you're looking at pace cars and everyone coming out of the woodwork. Denver to Eagle would be a lovely 3-hour tour.

One day in particular last year (maybe a few inches on the ground), there was a pace car going up and over VP last year starting from Copper.

EDIT - I realize that was before this program was fully implemented, but with the way CDOT is run, it wouldn't surprise me the least if pace cars were out going westbound this weekend. Slower speeds hopefully lending to less accidents lending to less time wasted on knuckleheads not prepared for snow.

hmmm... I didn't know they were actually doing this

I got stuck in one eastbound from the tunnel about a year ago.

I swore CDOT must be doing something like running a pace car but no one believed me.

Actually I thought they were stopping both lanes to run plow trucks side by side, but a pace car makes more sense - truly created a clusterfuck.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	avy pic.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	108122

yeah....be careful
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Quote Originally Posted by montanaskier View Post

yeah....be careful
    YIKES...
    Old's Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF is dat View Post
    has anyone hit bald spot yet? I was looking at it today and looked like it might be good to go soon, but am concerned about avalanche risk... any thoughts?

anyhow, beaver creek was good fun today in rose bowl. it sure is fun to ski pow again
    based on conditions elsewhere around beavercreek, i wouldn't ski anything steep enough to slide after the 100mph wind and new snow. bald spot is pretty steep and terrain trap filled if i'm getting my spots correct.
    Live To Ski!

Quote Originally Posted by montanaskier View Post

yeah....be careful
    Yeah Fuck that shit. I hate our snowpack right now.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by WTF is dat View Post

It'll be a shitshow of folks hiking this weekend but I wouldn't touch it personally. Conditions plus the threat of someone triggering something above you plus I'm sure the run out is a disaster...I'd leave it for later. That run out is awful in good years.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

It's the 3rd week in January with the saddest work ULLR has pulled out of his ass in maybe a century - any snow event will bring out the crowds at this point like crack heads on crack sample day at crack whole foods. Trying to wrangle a room to crash in Saturday night so we don't have to deal with the morning shit show. Coming home I just plan on having dinner and hot tub, chilling somewhere prior to dealing with what will surely be a crawl.

We'll see.
    Last edited by Poop~Ghost; 01-18-2012 at 05:04 PM.

This was Utah yesterday.... really no need to be away from a lift this weekend. But hey, I guess you get triple gnar points, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Poop~Ghost View Post
    Trying to wrangle a room to crash in Saturday night so we don't have to deal with the morning shit show. Coming home I just plan on having dinner and hot tub, chilling somewhere prior to dealing with what will surely be a crawl.

We'll see.
    Just reading this makes me start to cry.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Just reading this makes me start to cry.
    why, I was under the assumption you were riding with us?! Is it because you'll have to see me in a swim suit?