Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Eastern Sierra 2011-12: The 1000" Winter

Crisis averted...

Really, even the world-renowned Mammoth Times says so: 1000" Winter

Avy Advisory
    Main Lodge NWS Forecast

I'd love to make this somewhat of a hook-up thread as well this season, so lets coordinate rides/car shuttles and BC trips.

Repost of my ride request: Wed. afternoon or anytime Thursday, returning Friday night. I pay for almost all your gas if you pick me up in Claremont.

Great, thank you!

Sadly, I cannot drive up this week, but I very much look forward to an epic backcountry season.

Finally, I'll add this for the weather nerds:
    http://mammothsnowman.com/mammoth-weather-guy/

http://www.mammothweather.com/
    Ein Berg ohne Absturzgefahr ist nur noch Attrappe. (Reinhold Messner)

come on Shain...let's be real 1K is a lot, but I like your mindset. Maybe 700+ first? Thought about going up to the house but can't miss work. Looking to hit Bloody?
    "Snowboarding isn't a race, it's a disability" - Cheech Sander

Just beer yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/RichieCski

and also to follow Franz's weather nerd talk, Sheckter had a post about this a while a back and kind of dismissed it. Take that as you will I guess

Just beer yourself.

What's really great is that Sheckter dismisses the 1000" claim in the 1000" Mammoth Times article! Now that's what I call journalism.

im curious about you guys that go up for just a day or two from the LA/SD area....

do you typically get a hotel? or do you have friends you stay with up there?

i REALLY want to get in as close to 30 days as possible this year so to make it economical i was looking to some temporary room rentals/sublets to see if i could get it cheaper than a hotel...

on CL i found a couple of guys renting rooms for like 500/month, so what i wrote to them was a proposition of having 3-4 guys share the room with intermittent visits....essentially maybe a bunk bed or 2, mini-fridge and an old crappy tv or something....im fine with my sleeping bag/pad, just want a place to sleep and shower

if any of you all are interested in something like this let me know, obviously in the spirit of the thread too if people are...we could look further into ride sharing

I'd suggest going over to the Mammoth Mountain Forums for that, more people looking for housing there.

Bootpacked Terry's Run at Mammoth on Friday and seriously regretted not bringing AT gear. There's enough snow right now to avoid rocks, and the knee-to-waist deep postholing was not too fun. Nevertheless, it skied great!

POV from today at Mammoth:

Also, a few scenics:

Nice. This is the right thread ... let's keep it all together in one place.

I figured since we got yelled at by MMSA employees for poaching, it deserves a spot in the BC thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeze View Post
    Bootpacked Terry's Run at Mammoth on Friday and seriously regretted not bringing AT gear. There's enough snow right now to avoid rocks, and the knee-to-waist deep postholing was not too fun. Nevertheless, it skied great!

POV from today at Mammoth:

Also, a few scenics:

Nice!

It is starting to get tough. So close....Here is hoping for some nice wet storms to start the base out right.
    Last edited by Long duc dong; 10-08-2011 at 03:38 PM.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Also, a few scenics:

Nice pictures, top picture looks like Paranoid's.

FYI let's remember Howard is a Real Estate Agent NOT A WEATHER GUY, all of us have access to the same info he is sharing. What really sucks is when he copy and pastes info and claims it is his own writing.

Well done.

(Except it looked like you two were about to kiss at 0:16, with the music and all.)

Quote Originally Posted by sgmartz View Post
    im curious about you guys that go up for just a day or two from the LA/SD area....

do you typically get a hotel? or do you have friends you stay with up there?

i REALLY want to get in as close to 30 days as possible this year so to make it economical i was looking to some temporary room rentals/sublets to see if i could get it cheaper than a hotel...

on CL i found a couple of guys renting rooms for like 500/month, so what i wrote to them was a proposition of having 3-4 guys share the room with intermittent visits....essentially maybe a bunk bed or 2, mini-fridge and an old crappy tv or something....im fine with my sleeping bag/pad, just want a place to sleep and shower

if any of you all are interested in something like this let me know, obviously in the spirit of the thread too if people are...we could look further into ride sharing
    Lol, I can tell you're from LA man. I'd personally advise you to buy a good sleeping bag and tent, you can easily find many places to camp in the Mammoth/Mono Lakes region. Either that or sleep in the car/car camp. To spend 500 a month for a place if you're going up only on weekends seems a bit silly to me. If you figure spending $3000 (Dec-April), you could easily use this money as an investment for some badass snowcamping gear which you could use for years to come. I bought a really nice Marmot -20f bag for $600 bucks 2 years ago, and it has more than paid for itself already. Just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by mmsnowman View Post
    FYI let's remember Howard is a Real Estate Agent NOT A WEATHER GUY, all of us have access to the same info he is sharing. What really sucks is when he copy and pastes info and claims it is his own writing.
    You can usually spot his own writing by the spelling mistakes he makes (e.g., "take a brake", "trof", ...).

I figured since we got yelled at by MMSA employees for poaching, it deserves a spot in the BC thread.
    I always thought that the Mountain was Forrest Service land and leased by the ski op. Is that not the case? I dont recall any prohibition against hiking the mountain when skiing ops were closed when I was a kid there

I think you jinxed it.

1000 inches?

that's what she said.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Alright, this is more like it. Bring it on.

Staking my spot in this to-be-epic thread. Gotta get the most out of my MVP. Now I just need to find a benefactor with a plane who will regularly fly me from the Bay Area to MMH once 120 closes.

I'm definitely going to get in more days at Mammoth and BC days down there than my pathetic mini-only in the past.
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

tomorrow should be a fun day. hope to see some of you guys up there bright and early
    Whoa, what you gotta say?? Whoa, girls turn 18 every day!!!
    --Vandals

Patty and I will be up there bright and early.Parking will be a challenge with Stump not running.I will look for you at the champagne toast

Having 3 open is definitely a major bonus. Not going up till tomorrow night (work and such) but hope to see you all there! Get stoked

Just beer yourself.