Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    for educational purposes it would have been better to find somewhere with more snow. All you got to see were the layers from one day of snow, versus deeper spots that have a seasons worth of accumulation, !
    That is a seasons worth of accumulation. It has been a shitty season.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quick question...

What is a better eastern sierra guide book?
    - backcounty skiing California's eastern sierra
    - 50 classic backcountry ski and snowboard summits in california

sent from the future using my mind powers
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

backcountry skiing California's eastern sierra is the one.

Last run on the Sherwins yesterday was ALL-TIME!
    Ein Berg ohne Absturzgefahr ist nur noch Attrappe. (Reinhold Messner)

w/o a doubt the first book on your list. the author even posts here and there is no contest about which is a better book. the 50 classics is good for shasta though i gotta say.

Yesterday was pretty absurd. I was definitely glad I picked last weekend for a 3-dayer. My first few laps down the 'noids were amazing. It is rare to get the top with that sort of stability, and that quality of snow.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

LightRanger alerted me to some change happening on Tioga Road this spring.

The Whoa Nellie Deli will be open at least another summer at the Mobil in Lee Vining … but Matt Toomey isn’t coming back after opening his year-round place in Mammoth Village over Christmas. WND plans to keep the same line cooks and menu for this coming summer.

More info here:
    http://thesheetnews.com/archives/12764

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    LightRanger alerted me to some change happening on Tioga Road this spring.

The Whoa Nellie Deli will be open at least another summer at the Mobil in Lee Vining … but Matt Toomey isn’t coming back after opening his year-round place in Mammoth Village over Christmas. WND plans to keep the same line cooks and menu for this coming summer.

More info here:
    http://thesheetnews.com/archives/12764
    His place in Mammoth is great. Ate their 2 weeks ago for the first time.

Bummed I missed the past couple of days. Got heckled regularly from friends. Photos of nipple deep pow are not cool when you're 400 miles away. Especially with the lack of quality days this year.

How good the Sherwins were:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	405208_772875139868_706656_35197039_726561483_n.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	112966
    Ein Berg ohne Absturzgefahr ist nur noch Attrappe. (Reinhold Messner)

Anybody know how coverage on Split is?
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

Quote Originally Posted by _Aaron_ View Post
    Anybody know how coverage on Split is?
    Top looks good

bottom looks bad

How bad? Skiable but boney bad or mostly rock climb bad?
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

The face/couloir looked fine from what I could tell.

It's the approach that looked like a bitch. Might be a little different after this wave finishes but it doesn't look like anything is falling down there at the moment.

If you're in the area just drive down and check it out. You can see the drainage. Plenty of other skiing around if you bail on split.

Just don't get out there on a first sunny day after some snow. A secondary shot that drains into the main one killed two long time tahoe locals there last year. Little different story this year but still.........

Aaron, long drive from Eastside, but CA and OR Cascades are kicking this year. Splitboard.com cancelled the annual eastside party in favor of a Shasta party (date TBD). Shasta's forecast for this week was well over 100" of snow.

I'm curious about when Onion Valley might be good to go this year - the road seems like it might pop early this year, and even with low tide there ought to be some snow down to the TH at 9200' ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Thanks for the beta and warnings guys. I had ran into Kip in passing before and know how smart and skilled he was. Ill have to debate with myself on if the trip would be worthwhile. Im leaning towards postponing until next year sometime.

Shasta hadnt crossed my mind to check. Thanks for the tip SM.
    More stoke, less shit.

Driving up 395 this past weekend, I was pretty saddened by how bad everything south of mammoth looked. You can still check off some goals but yeah......unfortunately the better riding seems to be north this year. It really does normally look a whole lot better down there on 'normal' years.

_Aaron_ - the key is the approach to Split is long and this season likely a ton of dirt walking coupled with granite hopping/extreme skinning.

Shasta or North would be the call. The snowtels in the S-Sierra right now are uber depressing.

Just saw the season total at Mammoth is 210 inches, prolly 20% of last year.

Driving to Death Valley This weekend. Going to start down 395, never done it in the winter time. How does 395 hold up when it's snowing?
    Thanks mags

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Driving to Death Valley This weekend. Going to start down 395, never done it in the winter time. How does 395 hold up when it's snowing?
    Thanks mags
    I dont think you will have to worry about the snow as much, but the winds are suppose to be facking howling starting manana.
    Whoa, what you gotta say?? Whoa, girls turn 18 every day!!!
    --Vandals

You might get some really bad vis at Conway summit and around Lee Vining, but in general like Joey says the road holds up fine in general. You're well down in the rainshadow of the Sierra Crest and usually the road is too warm to accumulate snow. Just watch out for deer and stuff running across the road. When it's howling, it can be sometimes difficult to drive in a straight line. Imagine 4 straight hours of crosswinds from Conway all the way to Olancha - damn wind almost pushed a motorcyclist into my car last June!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Thanks guys, it's the gf's spring break and she chose Death Valley. Stoked to finally see the eastside in winter, not stoked to be without skis for this storm.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Thanks guys, it's the gf's spring break and she chose Death Valley. Stoked to finally see the eastside in winter, not stoked to be without skis for this storm.
    There are several cool slot canyons in Death Valley. Of course good bouldering on the way, and hot springing. Have a fun trip.

Also watch out for the Semis being pushed around by the Wind, in particular around Independence... I don't know why, but for some reason, that is always the windiest place on 395 for me. I was filling up gas once and literally got shoved into my car and almost knocked over... Crazy stuff.

Went up Point Powell yesterday. The coverage looks decent at the higher elevations. But getting there is brutal.

The Sabrina road is still gated at Aspendell, but is almost completely snow-free all the way to the lake. Hopefully those roads start opening soon.

Four hours into the day, and we still can't even see our destination:

Six hours, and we're at the base!

Looking into the middle portion of the Sabrina basin:

Looking south:

tracks:

this is where the fun starts:

descending back to Lake Sabrina was challenging. The thin snowpack was rotten to the ground, and many of the rivers are open. Thankfully, the higher elevation lakes are still frozen.

There's another storm brewing: