Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 45hill View Post
    Today was probably the worst day of skiing I've ever had at Mammoth in the 17 years that I have lives here. It better snow soon because I am not going again until we something.
    Yesterday was bad but you must have missed Sunday. Epic brown windbuff combined with blowing dirt, rocks, and twigs. Oh yeah, and you were aiming for the brown stuff to avoid turning on the majority hard pack.
    "Just send it you pussy."

Quote Originally Posted by Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer View Post
    One last alpine trip squeezed in right before the weather is coming. Enginerd and I gave a go at the Northwest Ridge of Four Gables. Two-day ascent with a bivy at around 12,100 ft. Got about 90% of the route done, and then bailed at the last tower at noon on Sunday as the winds were likely around 60 mph at that point and blowing you over if you stood. Thought we could squeeze it in before the winds arrived, but still a hell of a lot of fun.

These are all from my camera, waiting on Enginerd for his
    More shots from NW Ridge of Four Gables this weekend. All of these are from Enginerd.

Cold Bivy.........

The next morning, UCL trying to warm up.

Tower raps.

More exposed sections - tons of fun.

High point.

And the bail.

So, what's everyone's opinion on what the best days will be to ski the backcountry after this storm? I am guessing it will be pretty dangerous given the lack of a base, the amount of new snowfall and the likely strong effect of wind.

Wed 1/18 = 0″
    Thu 1/19 = 0″
    Fri 1/20 = 5-7″
    Sat 1/21 = 6-8″
    Sun 1/22 = 18-20″
    Mon 1/23 = 6-9″
    Tue 1/124 = 1-3″
    Wed 1/25 = 3-5″
    Thu-Sun 1/26-29 = 0″

But, oh Ullr, I am itching so bad for some backcountry turns.
    Ein Berg ohne Absturzgefahr ist nur noch Attrappe. (Reinhold Messner)

That article on the first post is great to read now. It made my day.

My plan was to leave Tuesday open for maybe something low angle in the Sherwin’s, prob Tele Bowls, but SHHHHHHH don’t tell anyone. HA-ha (Red Cone Bowl could be a possibility too)

I feel like it’s the start of the season all over again - so shitty, no visability, storm riding @ the resort sounds sublime right now. Plus I need to get my pass paid for, fuck!
    "In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

Checking in now that it's starting to storm. I may have to bribe my wife for Ullr pictures this weekend as a thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Franz Klammer View Post
    So, what's everyone's opinion on what the best days will be to ski the backcountry after this storm? I am guessing it will be pretty dangerous given the lack of a base, the amount of new snowfall and the likely strong effect of wind.

Wed 1/18 = 0″
    Thu 1/19 = 0″
    Fri 1/20 = 5-7″
    Sat 1/21 = 6-8″
    Sun 1/22 = 18-20″
    Mon 1/23 = 6-9″
    Tue 1/124 = 1-3″
    Wed 1/25 = 3-5″
    Thu-Sun 1/26-29 = 0″

But, oh Ullr, I am itching so bad for some backcountry turns.
    Lines that have been holding "snow™" since october or last year even are going to be sketch. All those super cold nights over the last two months have feathered up some stuff pretty badly. Was really hoping for a full day of rain before snow hit.

enjoyed your post UCL. When I think of the Sierras your post is what I think of. Good fun
    off your knees Louie

Just hiked up chair 22 for last run, more than a few dry fluffy faceshots on the way down. Unlike some of the cement turns earlier, these were fluffy

Great, so winter is finally here?

Today was honestly epic. Did 8 laps on the Avi Chutes, all were unbelievable.

Felt like winter today, franz. Top should open tomorrow, more face shots to come.

8 laps, good effort skeeze. Slight breeze up ther today

Thanks for the update and so glad that winter is finally here. I am thinking of driving up today to ski some mellow backcountry on Monday and Tuesday. Any thoughts?

soooooooo, whats the happs down the 395 if u please. approx snow levels and amounts at elevations would be great. mmmmkay thanx

who knows, its clear right now in town. I heard the snow level will hit the valley floor. gonna be a cold storm monday
    Whoa, what you gotta say?? Whoa, girls turn 18 every day!!!
    --Vandals

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    soooooooo, whats the happs down the 395 if u please. approx snow levels and amounts at elevations would be great. mmmmkay thanx
    The full-time snowline was around 8500-9000. It snowed a little below that, but started out as heavy rain.

Probably about 3 feet of cement up high, with some soft stuff on top. It's still really boney out there. But what's on the ground is very dense.

That storm dropped more snow in the Mammoth-Bridgeport area. Not quite as much around Bishop. Hopefully tonight's storm will even that out a little.

The snow was fantastic today, but I'm back to work tomorrow. If you're into an eastside trip next friday or so, I'll meet you halfway. I just bought a truck, and I'm ready to drive it!

Quote Originally Posted by bcd View Post
    The full-time snowline was around 8500-9000. It snowed a little below that, but started out as heavy rain.

Probably about 3 feet of cement up high, with some soft stuff on top. It's still really boney out there. But what's on the ground is very dense.

That storm dropped more snow in the Mammoth-Bridgeport area. Not quite as much around Bishop. Hopefully tonight's storm will even that out a little.

The snow was fantastic today, but I'm back to work tomorrow. If you're into an eastside trip next friday or so, I'll meet you halfway. I just bought a truck, and I'm ready to drive it!
    I'm in bishop all week and considering a slow weekend back.

Shoot me an email if you're making the drive.

The wind wasn't kind to the snow on Mammoth, at least. The storm tonight and tomorrow should be nice and cold though.

Quote Originally Posted by Franz Klammer View Post
    Thanks for the update and so glad that winter is finally here. I am thinking of driving up today to ski some mellow backcountry on Monday and Tuesday. Any thoughts?
    I would play it very conservative. In addition to the wind loading all day today, I saw a small rollover in bounds yesterday where a guy had traversed at the top of it, he created a 20-25' long crack that went straight to the ground. The slope was 30-32 degrees max.

Awesome!

Sweet climbing stoke up above UCL!

Sounds like you guys are getting snow now- hope that's the case

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Sweet climbing stoke up above UCL!
    Ditto on that.

Alright, rolled into Mammoth. We will play it very conservative tomorrow, but -- wow -- it's good have winter back!

If anyone wants to hook up for some backcountry turns with us on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, shoot me a PM.

Gonna be a good day...

"In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

A couple inches of snow in Bishop this morning. We don't see that very often.

The wind forecast for Tuesday night looks bad, so get it while you can.