Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by potatoeskillme View Post
    Are there any stashes in the Eastern Sierra that are holding snow worthy of a day trip?
    I was up in the Whitney zone last weekend and the bowl/chute just south of Mt Muir had pretty decent coverage (I was postholing in 2-3 feet above trail camp), but that's too much of a slog to get up there for the day. Any patches worth hiking off Tioga?
    Two of the summer ice spots are covered with 'something™'

North peak and the dana couloir. I was up on the pass a few days ago and there are some strips of white 'something™' around. I'd rather skateboard down the road than walk to any of it personally. But that's just me. There is a little bit of a snow like substance around though.

Cool, thanks for the info. I've got a buddy flying out from NYC next week; our Avy 1 class at June was 'canceled' due to lack of snow so we were hoping to skip the crowds and 'lift tax' at Mammoth and try to find 'something™' in the backcountry to slide on.

You all remember when I said that it can't get much worse? It's getting worse.

Fair through the end of 2011 with colder temperatures on New Year’s Eve followed by warmer weather again early next week. Fair next week with the persistent dry conditions possibly lasting through the middle of January as there are no reliable signals that this dry pattern will end any time soon.
    Snowfall forecasts are for the Sesame snow course (Main Lodge) As reported in the 7 AM daily snow report for new snow.
    Wed 12/28 = 0″
    Thu 12/29 = 0″
    Fri 12/30 = 0″
    Sat 12/31 = 0″
    Sun 1/1 = 0″
    Mon 1/2 = 0″
    Tue 1/3 = 0″
    Wed – Fri 1/4 – 6 = 0″
    December forecast = 2″
    Next update scheduled for Friday 12/30
    Ein Berg ohne Absturzgefahr ist nur noch Attrappe. (Reinhold Messner)

This thread title has a few too many zeros.

Quote Originally Posted by potatoeskillme View Post
    Cool, thanks for the info. I've got a buddy flying out from NYC next week; our Avy 1 class at June was 'canceled' due to lack of snow so we were hoping to skip the crowds and 'lift tax' at Mammoth and try to find 'something™' in the backcountry to slide on.
    The north side of Conness could be good. This is what it looked like in October:

The glacier was huge this fall, and those shots are from the right after the first storm of the year. It has snowed a little bit since then. And it certainly isn't melting at this time of year. Just blowing around. So you may encounter a bit of glacier ice in spots.

Pretty sure the road is still open to Saddlebag Lake. I heard of some people skating on it a few weeks ago, and I'm almost positive it hasn't snowed since then.

It's kinda far, but there's a good trail around Saddlebag Lake, and then one little hill to climb and it's easy cross-country from there.

Quote Originally Posted by bcd View Post
    And it certainly isn't melting at this time of year. Just blowing around. So you may encounter a bit of glacier ice in spots.
    I wouldn't be so sure. Everything was melting up on the pass yesterday ...

New Year's Morning, 2012. Looks like we have a little ways to go before some of us are getting out there. But hey, the road is open, so like, the approach is totally easy!!!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Yesterday-

1000” winter huh?
    Last edited by PowerWhore7; 01-03-2012 at 08:29 AM.
    "In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

DId this thread jinx us? Speaking of a 1000" winter before winter has started does not excite Ullr.

Go to Padded Room and post nekkids of gf's, wives, or f-buddies right now to save us.
    "That's what she said."

Quote Originally Posted by PowerWhore7 View Post
    Yesterday-

1000” winter huh?

Fark!! In CO right now and at least there is a 6" base, bare rocks are depressing

it's official, Brian Shain, you've officially fucked us by making this thread
    "Snowboarding isn't a race, it's a disability" - Cheech Sander

Just beer yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/RichieCski

Well, the lack of snow is keeping the High Sierra alpine awesomeness open for the rare winter ascents...

Tioga remaining open = awesome IMO.

when you have lemons...
    stay outta my line

I am stoked on Mammoth vs Tahoe pond hockey!

Anyone want to bet a beer @ The Tap that it doesn’t snow a fucking inch, again...

Weather Guy’s latest forecast:
    "Dry and warmer today and into Saturday, then colder on Sunday and Monday with a chance for a quick period of snowfall on Monday morning. Then warmer by the middle part of next week with increasing clouds on Wednesday leading to some snowfall by Thursday with probably rain on the lower part of the mountain and town. Then heavier snow is likely over the following weekend under lower snow levels with more snowfall chances into the following week. It is still a bit too far out to specify the details, but the dry pattern over the last two months will probably end by the latter part of next week."
    Snowfall forecasts are for the Sesame snow course (Main Lodge)As reported in the 7 AM daily snow report for new snow.

Sat 1/14 = 0″
    Sun 1/15 = 0″
    Mon 1/16 = 1-2″
    Tue 1/17 = 0″
    Wed 1/18 = 0″
    Thu 1/19 = 1-2″
    Fri 1/20 = 4-8″
    Sat – Wed 1/21 -25 = 28-40″
    January forecast = 50-60″
    Next update scheduled for Tuesday 1/17

UCL-sick stoke man, way to get after it!
    "In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

You guys must have had a typo and had the decimal place off a place or two. 10.00 inches of snow.

Flurrying in Mammoth. No accumulation but at least it's something.
    "Just send it you pussy."

That was the man made being blown off the mountain. It was also flurrying in Bishop due to the high winds.

One last alpine trip squeezed in right before the weather is coming. Enginerd and I gave a go at the Northwest Ridge of Four Gables. Two-day ascent with a bivy at around 12,100 ft. Got about 90% of the route done, and then bailed at the last tower at noon on Sunday as the winds were likely around 60 mph at that point and blowing you over if you stood. Thought we could squeeze it in before the winds arrived, but still a hell of a lot of fun.

These are all from my camera, waiting on Enginerd for his:

Photo: Enginerd

There are some exposed parts too

Our high point around the last tower:

Bail face:

And the prompt weather bail:

And bring on the snow! I need the weather to stop the access to these types of goods

Quote Originally Posted by TransplantedFromRMNP View Post
    when you have lemons...
    Sell them and use the proceeds to come to B.C It's a ridiculous year( Dec-Jan )so far, and we'd love for you to visit, as it lessens the lopsided ratio of Aussy to Hetro up here

Quote Originally Posted by Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer View Post
    One last alpine trip squeezed in right before the weather is coming. Enginerd and I gave a go at the Northwest Ridge of Four Gables. Two-day ascent with a bivy at around 12,100 ft. Got about 90% of the route done, and then bailed at the last tower at noon on Sunday as the winds were likely around 60 mph at that point and blowing you over if you stood. Thought we could squeeze it in before the winds arrived, but still a hell of a lot of fun.

And bring on the snow! I need the weather to stop the access to these types of goods
    Solid work.

Today was probably the worst day of skiing I've ever had at Mammoth in the 17 years that I have lives here. It better snow soon because I am not going again until we something.

i'd forgotten about this thread. 1,000 inches...hmm.

i'm not greedy. i'd be happy with 800 inches at this point.

Nice stoke UCL!
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

Very nice stoke UCL.

FYI, they closed Tioga Pass last night. That's all for the season.
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite