Page 19 of 45 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    Looks alot like its on now, no more playing in the facets.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	west m avy 12-31 037.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	106847   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	west m avy 12-31 008.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	930.8 KB 
ID:	106848  

The last turns of 2011 were fun. Overall things were pretty wind affected, but there is good skiing depending on the aspect

2011: Year of the Pig

Where'd you get that pix of my ex in the hot tub?

"Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

Looks like the fun continues into 2012.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	no name avy 2-12 050.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	106943   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	no name avy 2-12 051.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	106944  

Quote Originally Posted by spindrift65 View Post
    Looks like the fun continues into 2012.
    Awesome facet-lanche. If I remember right, 06-07 was similar. We had crap snow, and the facet-lanches were quite amusing in the trees. Like rivers of snow........

Rollerballs and damp snow on sunny aspects. Don't forget your skin wax!!! Decent turns on North facing, sheltered mid-elevation aspects.

"Officially known as Highway U-210, more commonly known as Little Cottonwood Canyon and unofficially acknowledged as the epicenter of the greatest snow on earth." Andrew McLean

9,500ft. West aspect in the evening. Top 1.5" was saturated, then the typical scare show below that of multiple crusts intermixed with super facetville.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Paj View Post
    2011: Year of the Pig

cream sauce i hope

kind of cool to observe couple of utah valley students doing forest circus surveys at bcc trailheads
    standard fs survey nothing wastch specfic
    but nice to see some effort to see what is actually going on with canyon visitors being performed.
    the surveyor seemed to think they were being subcontracted to do this work
    anybody else see em or take the survey?
    oh powder pondo says it all good and 1st time ever he has had back to back freshie days on the i flakes
    turds flyin yet??
    would anyone really pay to heli ski this snowpack??
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

hilarious!!!

Quote Originally Posted by flatNshallow View Post
    Where'd you get that pix of my ex in the hot tub?

"... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"

still waiting

^^^^^sick

Gary that is awesome. Looks way more fun than how I'm waiting

wow, not much going on on this thread. see you all monday. maybe bring mountain bike and skis...

When was the last time anyone heard a WPG machine?
    Last edited by Johnny Deep; 01-05-2012 at 02:34 PM.
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

Quote Originally Posted by gary begley View Post
    I did your vid flying through the smog layer......looked scary!

Made a full days worth of laps at Brighton yesterday and today during the recent storm. Slackcountry wise Hidden Canyon was full of freshies, just don't go riding over the bowling ball shaped bumps on talus and scree slopes back there. Chute 1 and Cheese Grater are plenty rocky, so best bet is to hop onto it after the narrow cat access down the ridge. Saw a lot of people out there skinning up the now cleared traverse back to the G Dub's lift to get up to the 10410/420 and Area 51.

Milly's slack is somewhat non existant. The skin to wolvy from the north face traverse of Millicent up a chute on an arete between Millicent and Wolvy is accesible to get to the circ. Haven't even considered dropping the Southwest face of Wolverine yet! Solitude seems to have some slack wiggles going down the backside of it allll the way down to comi. Evergreen and solbright have some nice turns if you're light on your feet and don't mind a crunch to your pow turn. Word to the wise is brighton's 41 inches feels like 50 inches of base. Seems to be holding the best tree turns too.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    If you have spent anytime in the wasatch bc you probably shared or crossed skin tracks with Adam and his crew.

Sadly Adam passed away due to injuries received in an avalanche outside Golden BC Fri.
    I wasn't real close to A, but mutual friends ment. I had shared a few tours, a night in the millcreek yurt, and party favors in the skituning mancave.
    Adam was one of those magnet bros the kind of guy who brought good like minded peeps togather in worthwhile pursuits, a trip organizer, a natural leader, and a nurturer through his job as a outdoor youth councilor all with that shit eatin zest for life grin.
    cross posted from his friends blog as are the pictures
    For all the people that have ever known him, skied with him, drank with him, laughed with him, for those that have learned from him and been inspired by him I offer this:

You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body. Adams body was a container for him and his spirit. His spirit, all his best traits all his best qualities, have inspired so many to be as positive, level-headed, intelligent, and loyal as he has always been. In this way he lives on in the little pieces of him that we each have absorbed, in the ways that we try to be like him, in the love we have for him and memories we have of times spent with him.

Adam we love you and miss you.

~TM
    Vibes to his family and his bros who knew him better than I.
    There is no way the wasatch or anywhere on this earthly plain is better without him.From what i understand the canidian coroner has yet to release his remains, but hopefully a celebration of his life will occour soon in the future.
    Please be safe in your endeavors and make a few turns or commit some act of kindness for AL
    Ski on in endless white room bliss

you will be missed and fondly remembered
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

So, am I totally insane to bring my AT skis and BC gear for 4 days in LCC? I am going to a 30th birthday party weekend that was planned as a resort+backcountry event back in October and I just can't stomach 4 straight days of skiing groomers. Just 1 day of Wasatch BC would be enough.

I don't mind skiing shitty backcountry coverage, just SOMETHING that doesn't remind me of the awful conditions that have made any form of backcountry skiing completely impossible here in the Eastern Sierra.

It certainly is a far cry from the fun and mellow meadow-skipping day I had there back in March 2011:

Ein Berg ohne Absturzgefahr ist nur noch Attrappe. (Reinhold Messner)

Quote Originally Posted by Franz Klammer View Post
    So, am I totally insane to bring my AT skis and BC gear for 4 days in LCC? I am going to a 30th birthday party weekend that was planned as a resort+backcountry event back in October and I just can't stomach 4 straight days of skiing groomers. Just 1 day of Wasatch BC would be enough.

I don't mind skiing shitty backcountry coverage, just SOMETHING that doesn't remind me of the awful conditions that have made any form of backcountry skiing completely impossible here in the Eastern Sierra.

It certainly is a far cry from the fun and mellow meadow-skipping day I had there back in March 2011:
    it'll be similar to that video. you know , just without all the snow.

Quote Originally Posted by criscam View Post
    it'll be similar to that video. you know , just without all the snow.
    Thanks! So, I guess I am insane to bring all the gear?
    Ein Berg ohne Absturzgefahr ist nur noch Attrappe. (Reinhold Messner)

i haven't been out in over a week but have had fun the handful of times before that. to me, if it's a nice sunny day then it's almost always worth it regardless of riding conditions. i say bring it.

Bring it...you'll find something..found decent snow this morning up under the radio reflector near Grizzly gulch. Slight zipper. No real instabilities were noticed, it wasnt a super steep line though. Minor sluffage first skier cleaned most of it out. there are "pockets of goodness". Looks like a pattern change in the works so maybe you'll get lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    If you have spent anytime in the wasatch bc you probably shared or crossed skin tracks with Adam and his crew.

Sadly Adam passed away due to injuries received in an avalanche outside Golden BC Fri.
    I wasn't real close to A, but mutual friends ment. I had shared a few tours, a night in the millcreek yurt, and party favors in the skituning mancave.
    Adam was one of those magnet bros the kind of guy who brought good like minded peeps togather in worthwhile pursuits, a trip organizer, a natural leader, and a nurturer through his job as a outdoor youth councilor all with that shit eatin zest for life grin.
    cross posted from his friends blog as are the pictures

Vibes to his family and his bros who knew him better than I.
    There is no way the wasatch or anywhere on this earthly plain is better without him.From what i understand the canidian coroner has yet to release his remains, but hopefully a celebration of his life will occour soon in the future.
    Please be safe in your endeavors and make a few turns or commit some act of kindness for AL
    Ski on in endless white room bliss

you will be missed and fondly remembered
    thanks for the kind words on adam dibs. the guy was a the nicest guy around, i got the news and couldnt believe it. he was a true leader who seeped knowledge at all times. probably one of the most badass ski mountaineers that roamed the wasatch without looking for the E-props that lots of us shoot for. that and his job was helping troubled kids turn their lives around, big loss! rip adam

Any word on the Snow Bunny "Hair Trigger" in Scott;s Bowl
    http://utahavalanchecenter.org/avala...ts_bowl_192012

Love to know the lil guy was able to self rescue.

Ecstatic when I see lil guys ( snowshoe hares, white ferrets, porcupines, grouse etc in the backcountry!!!

Peace out

CAT

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Awesome facet-lanche. If I remember right, 06-07 was similar.
    Similar, but I don't think 06-07 was near as shitty as this year. And 05-07 was the shittiest season in recent memory.