Page 35 of 45 FirstFirst ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast
    TG, Thank you much -

Quote Originally Posted by WasatchPow View Post
    On the UAC page on the report there is a photo I'm interested in what was used to take this. Anyone know if this is an app for a smart phone (iPhone, Android), or the name of the equipment? Thanks -

Attachment 110894
    http://utahavalanchecenter.org/accid...h_draw_2232012
    TG got the right app, Theodolite by Hunter Research & Technology. I recently downloaded the basic version (free), and it works like a charm on my iPod Touch. I usually carry my Touch in a breast pocket of my parka, so it's really quick and easy to pull out my iPod, open up the app, and quickly measure the slope angle. It's very easy to read the stuff on the screen.

I learned about this app by watching UAC's Bruce Tremper's tutorial "How to Measure Slope Steepness" on You Tube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlCiJma_rpA. This tutorial is really worth watching, even if you don't own an iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad, because Bruce explains and demonstrates several ways to measure slope angle including one that requires no expensive technology.

IMO there are a lot of other great, worth-watching tutorials on the UAC's Online Tutorials web page, http://utahavalanchecenter.org/online_tutorials. About half of these short videos are from UAC, and the rest are from other national avalanche centers (USA, Canada, Switzerland) and others such as TGR and PowderWhore TV. Kowboy fans will probably love the UAC video "Brett Kobernik in on a field day" ("Yeah -- wadda ya wanna know?").
    Last edited by lhitchner; 02-25-2012 at 10:12 AM.

The idea is KNOW BEFORE YOU GO. That means at least one knowlegable person in your party knowing what slope you are planning on skiing/riding and the angles involved before you leave. Not always possible in all situations but pretty doable in the Wasatch.

Differentiating, on the fly, between 33 degrees and 35 degrees is just gonna get you into trouble, does not take into account terrain features/triggers. etc.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    bump for please encourage others to and yourselfs report these type incidents
    to the 3's listed on the uac report you can do this without given any more info than set off a slide all clear.
    http://utahavalanchecenter.org/avala...aretop_2242012

having all the local ski areas patrol dispatch #'s in your phone is not a bad idea either.
    oh and forgot the sw facin mich city ct's and ect's were much lower than n facin below patsey at old snow new snow interface, but s facing pretty ak heal drop below
    need more quantifying #'s or possible reasons

get out and dig
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by FufFufFreak View Post
    Differentiating, on the fly, between 33 degrees and 35 degrees is just gonna get you into trouble, does not take into account terrain features/triggers. etc.
    I see your point that giving oneself a good margin for error is prudent. But it's worth pointing out that a lot of people skied terrain just slightly mellower near the site of Thursday's fatal accident and that made all the difference.

A month ago, after that first big, heavy January dump, 30 degrees was consistently collapsing without moving while 33 degree slopes all had debris piles at the bottom. We had inclinometers out constantly both going up and down and made a lot of good decisions in the whumf-iest snowpack I've experienced.

Yes, GnarGnar. You make a good point and it supports both of us. Especially poignant this year.

I remember all the noises/voices earlier this year and they told me to not push it.

brotherly shoutout to sfb and splat for setting me up with the bro lhasa ski - i encourage any ony skiing in the west to consider the skis made by pm gear

Repeating the sentiment to alert the proper authorities when triggering a slide.

Having all the local patrols #'s is not a bad idea if you need assistance quickly but, hopefully most people in this thread that witness/start avalanches will not.

That said there is only one # you need to keep from potentially wasting local rescuers time and or putting them in danger:

Alta Central Emergency line; 801-742-2033

Link to my new Utah weather blog http://utahweather.blogspot.com with links to detailed model projected snow fall maps and other Utah weather links focused on snow. I'm a meteorologist and will sometimes post my snow fall forecast focused on the Wasatch. I mostly snow ski at Snowbird in the winter and water ski on Utah Lake in the summer. Things are looking up next week, enjoy the snow!

Mid-elevation shelterd slopes skied boot deep and failry well today. High PI rates during the storms frontal passage.
    "Officially known as Highway U-210, more commonly known as Little Cottonwood Canyon and unofficially acknowledged as the epicenter of the greatest snow on earth." Andrew McLean

The ice falls are in up here, great frontpointing, a little dicey at night on the down this evening.

Last weekend obs, reset the skinner in same place, no obnoxious noizes. But does not look like much has slide up thatta way...

Any see the people walking around Y-Couloir on Saturday? Couldn't figure out what they were doing

Goddamn! Today was top notch, shredding in bounds at solitude but beautiful 8s observed on figure 8. Tracks in meadows, bluebird and nice dense pow. Loving it! Already planning to ski next two days! Be safe, make good Terrain choices, still plenty of fun to be had, 300 inches here we come! I think I shoulda worn mo' sunscreen. Stoked on the cycle, lets hope the hopecasters don't t fucked up again, happy turns ya'll

Glad to hear that the season is starting to turn around. I'll be there next week. Stoked to hit up LCC and BCC for four or five days.

The photo at the end makes by bung hole tighten a bit:
    http://utahavalanchecenter.org/avala...e_pass_2262012
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

right AS I END MY SEASON THE SEASON BEGINNNNS?

btw, slipped, fell, all on ice (thanks north dakota), and may have to go under the knife again to fix my possibly reinjured shoulder.

found a pair of prescription specs on short swing yesterday. PM if they are yours.

Quote Originally Posted by sfotex View Post
    The photo at the end makes by bung hole tighten a bit:
    http://utahavalanchecenter.org/avala...e_pass_2262012
    Yeah, I guess that eastern part of that bowl where the slide is at is a bit steeper, high 30's?

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    300 inches here we come!
    deja vu

nice days a couple laps on the draw, w/ Jonny h and fuc, first Joni sightin of the year for me
    which is weird we ussually cross tracks a bit
    nice skinner tanks
    lot of underlyin crusts some supportable some not
    somethin reassurin about still dingin rocks on ski cuts
    best skiing mid ele. sheltered on slidepath
    not much sluffing or major instabilities noted.
    other than a couple wiggles in cardiff off georges and the remnants of a turd bomb stability test
    not much goin on in that fork of the wasatch
    "SUPER" day
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Searched, didn't find anything....

Sorry if it's a repost...
    This is the worst pain EVER!

fvcktards!
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Searched, didn't find anything....

Sorry if it's a repost...
    Yea it is but so what, still funny to watch, complete idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Yea it is but so what, still funny to watch, complete idiots.
    So what? It's a fvckin water shed and a popular bc [slack country] ski destination.
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

i'd bet it's these same fat ass throttle monkey's we encountered last season atop mnt wolverine.

obviously the forest circus can't stop them
    way to busy with other concerns