Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

2012 SoCal Snow Thread

The official SoCal snow thread for the 2011/2012 season! It's only the beginning of October, but it looks like something white is on its way this week!

Perhaps one of the resorts will open for Halloween again this year?

I, for one, am stoked. Let's get this season going already!
    Last edited by potatoeskillme; 11-04-2011 at 01:25 PM.

4"-12" above 8k in San Gabriels Wednesday, winter storm warning for Sierras!

And so it begins.

I've invested in a splitboard this year, and am about to pull the trigger on my bindings and skins later this week. I'd really like to do a few new places this year (Gorgonio, Jacinto, Pinos, Baden-Powell East face) and now that I can finally tour rather than hike/bootpack I'm amped to get out there. However, none of my close riding buddies have splits, so keep me in mind this season when you go for tours around here!

I also just invested in a splitboard and am super excited but have heard it is still pretty difficult to keep up with skiers on a split board. what do you think?

I think us split-jongs should stick together then? Whereabouts in socal are you?

The socal BC contingent is growing. Let's hope for a great season

I am in Ventura, so if anybody is heading to the San Gabriels give me a shout.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Anyone know if the baldy virtual pass is worth it? Seems fishy
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Baldy is fun, been going for like 13 years. I buy virtual cause I don't want them to fold and I like to ski for $120/season. Works great if you ask me, but I like Baldy
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

^^^^isn"t that the dirt cheap one (like $50?) if yes, use it once and your good IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Well you missed the epic deal on it ($59) a few months ago, but as long as you don't mind making a reservation the night before and waiting in line to pick up your ticket every time, I think it's still worth it if you go often enough.

Its $189 now... Whats a lift ticket cost?

I have been putting 40-50 days in a season at squaw/alpine (whichever pass was cheaper) since I was a youngster.... Moved down south 6 months ago. I think baldy is the one for me. Super stoked for my first socal winter!
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Lift is like $53 at window, discounted was $39 at sports chalet, probably $43?? So 4-5 days and your covered. Also I got $100 baldy bucks (food money) for like $50. So really its retarded. Oh and if you wait in line your doing it wrong
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Super stoked for my first socal winter!
    Don't be, at least if you plan on skiing. Hangin' at the beach is stoke worth though. There is some skiing and touring, but nothing great, certainly nothing compared to Tahoe or the east side.

The problem with Baldy is it can be epic or complete shit, and at $189 it is a pretty big gamble, because some years it hardly opens. The best bet is buy a Mammoth MVP and do the drive.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Nice,happy to see this thread get started...

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Don't be, at least if you plan on skiing. Hangin' at the beach is stoke worth though. There is some skiing and touring, but nothing great, certainly nothing compared to Tahoe or the east side.

The problem with Baldy is it can be epic or complete shit, and at $189 it is a pretty big gamble, because some years it hardly opens. The best bet is buy a Mammoth MVP and do the drive.
    Yeah, but there is a huge difference between a $700 MVP pass and a Baldy pass. I agree that $189 is rather steep for that place with all the variables on them opening, but the running of the mountain has been MUCH better over the last 2-3 years. Good people up there. If you are in Socal, Mt Baldy is one of the few Mtns you want to bother with.

I had 18 days at Baldy last season.13 of them were memorable.The other 5 were for just getting out on the snow for a long lunch break.If you take the time to learn Baldy weather/crowd/ slope aspects you will be stoked on what is there.Its a special place.

I wish I had bought the super cheap virtual Baldy pass earlier this summer. Now I think I'll have to skip the $189 deal... seems a bit steep considering most days I went there last winter I just ended up skiing the side country. I'm planning on doing more BC this winter, especially now that the 2 is open from La Canada and access is a bit quicker (live in Glendale). Hopefully I can tour with some of you guys this winter.

I would disagree. The resorts, of course, are shit, but the touring last year was awesome:

Anderson Peak in January:

Jepson Peak in February:

Baldy West Face in April:

Ein Berg ohne Absturzgefahr ist nur noch Attrappe. (Reinhold Messner)

As silly as ski dazzle is they will sell the baldy cards that 1000 oaks is talking about. If anybody does let me know and I'll Paypal the $60 for a card. It has like two weekend 2 weekdays and a lesson so like $15 a day not counting lesson. I have had some good tomes there and it can be deep or ice or rain. That's baldy
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by Franz Klammer View Post
    I would disagree. The resorts, of course, are shit, but the touring last year was awesome:
    Awesome by socal standard, but mediocre at best compared to most "real" areas. I'm not complaining, I enjoy touring here, but if I lived equi-distant between the east side and socal, I would rarely if ever ski here. It beats the hell out of living in Florida, but is way down the list of "awesome" ski regions.

iscariot

Awesome by socal standard, but mediocre at best compared to most "real" areas. I'm not complaining, I enjoy touring here, but if I lived equi-distant between the east side and socal, I would rarely if ever ski here. It beats the hell out of living in Florida, but is way down the list of "awesome" ski regions.
    Agreed, but that's only because the touring on the Eastside is off the charts.

I think for me the "awesome" factor also derives from the fact that in SoCal you can drive from a 10+ million metropolis on a highway in just 60 minutes to a trailhead and then not see a single person all day, yet have a clear view of said metropolis ...

(summit view on Jepson Peak, 11205 ft)

If something like this existed in Europe or the East Coast it would be overrun with people!
    Ein Berg ohne Absturzgefahr ist nur noch Attrappe. (Reinhold Messner)

This thread needs more SoCal stoke from last year to keep us cool during the heat wave...

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Anyone know if the baldy virtual pass is worth it? Seems fishy
    It has been for me.

I bought it for 120$, so I was a bit annoyed when the dropped it to 59$. I have had it the last 3 years, and have been very stoked on it. I usually get 10-15 days, and get at least 1 day a weekend when I don't go to Mammoth. If you are willing to drive, and can spend the cash for a ski lease, it makes sense to get the Mammoth MVP, and back it up with the virtual pass. I usually get about 40 days a year, 25-30 at Mammoth, and 10-15 at Baldy. In a good year, like last year, you can ski every weekend if you want to. Baldy is really fun, if it has adequate coverage, just be sure to use skis you don't care about, because you will hit rocks. Waterman is supposed to be good too, but I have not hit it yet.

If you do things the way I do, it means a TON of Mammoth driving in the winter. Making the drive 2-3 weekends a month does wear on you, but it is worth it to ski Mammoth. It is nice to live in socal, and still get to ski great mountains pretty often. The Baldy days make the non-Mammoth weekends fun.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Seeing white stuff on Big Bear sure was nice last week, but this 100 degs plus shit in October sucks!

Wasn't sure where to put this, but fuggit it's winter stoke. Baldy is doing a ski flick show, anybody interested? It's two weeks away (Saturday the 29th). I might attend with the missus.

I know man. I live on the beach and it was already 85 when I left for work this morning. I'm probably going to the TB20 show the week before.