Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    No worries. I thought that the SoCal backcountry was restricted to the San Gabriels and San Bernardinos.
    Ein Berg ohne Absturzgefahr ist nur noch Attrappe. (Reinhold Messner)

SoCal means everything south of the Sierras. Should rename this thread to "It's not 2012 yet and the pictures are not from SoCal".
    Powered by Pisco

Ok well there's no snow down here yet... until there is, SoCal has been extended north to include mammoth! Or just consider it a socal-er sharing some recent stoke. Semantics.

Isn't Mammoth about the same latitude as San Fransisco?
    In years past, I started the SoCal thread to specifically have info and stoke from SoCal. Posting photos from last year and the Sierra will likely jinx SoCal skiing for the season.

Ok ok. Would everyone be happy if I moved them over to the sierra thread?

This is much more relevant to SoCal, I promise. Due to the recent bout of snow around Big Bear, I decided to take a stroll up Bow Canyon yesterday. I popped out of the woods halfway up Geronimo, then skinned up the rest of the trail. Let me just say that there were a couple spots in the canyon I had to posthole through and it was waist deep and really light and dry.

There was just enough coverage, and some proper SoCal face shots were had.

Well done.

Whyturn & stayed on the groomers at Bear yesterday, had a blast - first day this year. Whyturn was trying out his new Rocker2's, I had rock skis and ventured over to a closed run, was pretty much a granite-fest. Geronimo looks better.

The Rocker2 did surprisingly well on groomers. We met this grom named Austin who threw down a 540 and a front flip. Kid is pretty talented. Trying to throw video up soon.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I run the meetup group below if you're looking for socal backcountry partners. There are a wide range of ability and experience levels. I mount Dynafit bindings (Vertical, Speed, Comfort with jig, Radical with paper template) and I also do Binding Freedom and Quiver Killer inserts if anyone wants such things in the San Diego area.

http://www.meetup.com/San-Diego-Backcountry-Skiers/

Someone please slap me in the face if I am mistaken here but it seems strange to me that people are stoked about La Nina returning. Isn't La Nina typically associated with cold *dry* winters for our region? I've been told that last year was an anomaly, but an awesome one. In the spirit of hoping for another epic year, and totally embarrassing myself by posting my lame skiing on TGR, here's some La Nina socal powder stoke from last year on a very tame ski descent of San Jacinto:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoVDdH0eRG4

Quote Originally Posted by potatoeskillme View Post
    proper SoCal face shots were had.

Up to a foot monday into tuesday, anybody wanna play hooky?
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

2021/2022 (13/15)

God I wish... It's about time we got some snow. Gonna have to wait for the weekend to play

Let's hope this storm is as good as advertised. I really want to see Baldy open.

I skied Mammoth this weekend, and it was strictly groomers. Cornice was the only thing open off the top. The trip was really just to drop off stuff at the ski lease, and get my ski coordination back, so skiing groomers did not bother me. They really need a big, wet storm though. Let's hope this pattern changes.

I can't hit Baldy next week. I hope this gets it to open. Good luck to anyone who can ditch work these next few days. Have fun packing it down, but be careful.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Baldy open or not, I just don't see any way for me to ski before the new year.

Ill be at the bear tomorrow for my first turns of the season.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

found some powder at Snow Summit last weekend. FM94.9 in San Diego had a $200 package for 2 nights and 2 tickets for 2.

GF:

^Nice!! 1st photo looks almost boot deep, almost unheard of this winter

Anyone been out there recently?

I went Monday to Snow Valley, not bad on crowds, snow was nice and a little warm during the day. Was gonna head up tomorrow, anybody interested? Liftopia is $49 for snow valley
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?

2021/2022 (13/15)

Yesterday-

"In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

(double post, slow moderator I guess)
    Last edited by iTomahawk; 02-16-2012 at 04:11 PM.

^^ Ouch! (And thanks!)

thanks for the photos PowerWhore7, looks like a good crowd in the tube area, hopefully Baldy is making money of that.

I went for a hike up baden powell a couple days ago and it was surprisingly decent up top in the trees. Sugary in the woods near the ridge, mashed potatoes a bit further down, still managed to get a handful of satisfying slashes. Im assuming theres some decent stuff around gorgonio as well. More snow in socal than in mammoth thats for damn sure.

Quote Originally Posted by potatoeskillme View Post
    I went for a hike up baden powell a couple days ago and it was surprisingly decent up top in the trees. Sugary in the woods near the ridge, mashed potatoes a bit further down, still managed to get a handful of satisfying slashes. Im assuming theres some decent stuff around gorgonio as well. More snow in socal than in mammoth thats for damn sure.
    No kidding. I got back from Mammoth the evening of the 29th. I had fun skiing the skier's right of cornice, and made some laps in the park, but I really had to try to be positive about it. Not many people, considering the time of year.

I'm glad Baden has some good stuff. Hopefully we'll get a couple of storms, and Thunder(Baldy) will open.
    '
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."