Page 56 of 61 FirstFirst ... 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 LastLast
Results 1,376 to 1,400 of 1501
    Quote Originally Posted by SILENCER View Post
    This chart is wildly interesting, thanks for posting this. I'm reminded how amazing of a mountain this place is even with totals/averages where they are. Almost...because of it? If it got UT snow, it wouldn't feel like Taos anymore; it'd likely be some much larger, soulless version of what it is. Other than a BAD year like 17/18, I hope nothing changes really. Keep it rowdy. Keep it manageable.

And as I was telling my buddy's teenager on our visit two weekends ago, "If you can ski this mountain in a dry spell (and it wasn't a particularly long one, but...) you can ski anywhere". That resonated. And the turns ruled.
    Yeah, we dubbed it the EC hill of the West. Tight tree lines, quite a bit more snow, and X times steeper. An all around great place...except the long ban on snowboarding...that was annoying, but thank goodness it's over.

Quote Originally Posted by rpearce1475 View Post
    "moguled out" meaning when the run is basically all moguls 3-4 ft tall or higher. Not much fun on a snowboard when it's steep. I'm fine with firmer snow as long as the moguls aren't too tall
    I went today, and it’s moguled, but they aren’t that high but I might just be used to it. But it’s pretty firm almost everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    Has there even been a legit (not having to ride Johnny Lightfoot to avoid rocks) powder day down there this season?
    Yes.

I mean NO! There’s pretty much never powder days, and the one time it happened Bacon and his friends took it ALL for themselves.

You out tomorrow MS?

Not sure why we left exceptional conditions at home for low tide here, but we're here.

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    You out tomorrow MS?

Not sure why we left exceptional conditions at home for low tide here, but we're here.
    Oh no! It'd be great to have some runs with you and B but I’ve got some gotta-do things on Wednesday. You going to be around on Thursday?

Wait - you here for the comp? When I parked today I was by a van load of people from Western Co. College and I was wondering why they were here at low tide when CO was getting hit, then I remembered the comp.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Oh no! It'd be great to have some runs with you and B but I’ve got some gotta-do things on Wednesday. You going to be around on Thursday?

Wait - you here for the comp? When I parked today I was by a van load of people from Western Co. College and I was wondering why they were here at low tide when CO was getting hit, then I remembered the comp.
    Did you say hello to my stepson? He was definitely in that van. He was scheduled to ski 26th on Monday at the level 2 but had an asthma attack on his way up and had to scratch, didn't even make it up the booter (: He is headed back to Gunni now feeling pretty down about missing his run and chance to score some points, but breathing better.

Watching the comp on livestream conditions looked firm but chalky.
    Last edited by uglymoney; 03-06-2024 at 07:40 AM.

Several years back, I witnessed the private bacon powder train as well. He had an entire substantial run, I forget which one shut down the entire morning for himself and a few friends.

Great way to welcome customers. Not something I would do as a business owner.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post

Nah, got a mountain collective pass and had a hotel booked already. Almost bailed but left good snow to go to bad. Had no idea there was a comp until we started running into friends ha! Leaving tomorrow for sure

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Nah, got a mountain collective pass and had a hotel booked already. Almost bailed but left good snow to go to bad. Had no idea there was a comp until we started running into friends ha! Leaving tomorrow for sure.
    Oh well, next time. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Did you say hello to my stepson? He was definitely in that van. He was scheduled to ski 26th on Monday at the level 2 but had an asthma attack on his way up and had to scratch, didn't even make it up the booter (: He is headed back to Gunni now feeling pretty down about missing his run and chance to score some points, but breathing better.

Watching the comp on livestream conditions looked firm but chalky.
    Heh, I might have seen him - dark hair and beard? Bummer about the asthma attack.

Yeah, it’s chalky, dry and firm. Kinda wishing I’d touched up the edges.

Was there yesterday, was indeed dry and firm in most places with lots of moguls. Still fun though, snow was great after around 11am. Two of the chutes off West Basin were pretty smooth and ran great all day long

And as I was telling my buddy's teenager on our visit two weekends ago, "If you can ski this mountain in a dry spell (and it wasn't a particularly long one, but...) you can ski anywhere". That resonated. And the turns ruled.
    What was the progression around the mountain? You didn’t take’em hiking the ridge on the first run? Nor was it Al’s run to warm up (could be fun tho on a really deep day when you’re on the first five chairs tho).

Can confirm early chairs Al’s warmup after good storm are incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lvovsky View Post
    What was the progression around the mountain? You didn’t take’em hiking the ridge on the first run? Nor was it Al’s run to warm up (could be fun tho on a really deep day when you’re on the first five chairs tho).
    We started east facing. Dropped Sir Arnold Lunn first as it had been in the sun. Coverage was great, skied well. Picked up a couple more at the base and back up 1 & 2, and dropped Blitz under 2. It was quite good too, somewhere between soft and chalky, but north facing had saved it the freeze/thaw. We then headed over to Kachina as sun had been on it for a bit. Main Street first, hard right into the trees that separate Hunzi chutes, the snow held well in there. The up again for a K2 drop which was fantastic. Back over to 7, 7A and then it was hike time on West Basin. That was the best snow of the day, and although it got a little sun in the AM it shaded over and those turns were legit. Did a few in the there, then it was time for a beer over at the Bavarian.

We started east facing. Dropped Sir Arnold Lunn first as it had been in the sun. Coverage was great, skied well. Picked up a couple more at the base and back up 1 & 2, and dropped Blitz under 2. It was quite good too, somewhere between soft and chalky, but north facing had saved it the freeze/thaw. We then headed over to Kachina as sun had been on it for a bit. Main Street first, hard right into the trees that separate Hunzi chutes, the snow held well in there. The up again for a K2 drop which was fantastic. Back over to 7, 7A and then it was hike time on West Basin. That was the best snow of the day, and although it got a little sun in the AM it shaded over and those turns were legit. Did a few in the there, then it was time for a beer over at the Bavarian.
    That's a quality Taos day.

Not strictly a Taos question so feel free to cyberbully me, but has anybody been in Santa Fe backcountry this week? Thinking about hitting Nambe chutes with some buddies tomorrow, but all the wind/sun/potential-new-snow has me a little wary.

On the Taos subject, St. Bernard after the latest dump was an all-timer - hoping for at least one more of those days this season.

Quote Originally Posted by BeefSupreme View Post
    Not strictly a Taos question so feel free to cyberbully me, but has anybody been in Santa Fe backcountry this week? Thinking about hitting Nambe chutes with some buddies tomorrow, but all the wind/sun/potential-new-snow has me a little wary.
    The current* SF backcountry situation is:
    ATL: scoured/melted out S>NW, sastrugi elsewhere
    NTL: firm crust on facets SE>W**, facets elsewhere***
    BTL: dirt and/or crust SE>SW, facets elsewhere

*as of Sunday 3/3 anyway
    **this is where we skied, wind was enough to keep sun crust solid
    ***this is where I put Nambé chutes, and also where I am least certain about the snowpack

Pretty much every obvious line in the Nambé area has been skied since we last got snow several weeks ago. That said, if you're going to trigger a PWL in the SF area, Nambé chutes seem like the place to do it.

I only looked into the Nambé today, from Raven’s Ridge just outside the ski area. No pits or avy evaluation, but lot of the open stuff under Deception and Lake Peak looked pretty firm. I was by myself or I would have thought hard about hitting the treed chutes into the Nambé off Raven’s. And Friday is probably going to be cloudy, so I wouldn’t expect the open chutes to soften up much.

On the Taos subject, St. Bernard after the latest dump was an all-timer - hoping for at least one more of those days this season.
    We did Heaven's Hill on Sunday. Snow was quite good in the trees still though with plenty of fallen branches from the recent wind. Nambe looked a mix of windboard, windloaded, and bare.

getting back to tsv the 17th. fun in the sun!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20240222_201731326.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	489848

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    getting back to tsv the 17th. fun in the sun!

Name:	PXL_20240222_201731326.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	489848
    Your timing looks about right.

Taos got 7 inches yesterday/last night. Santa Fe got 15.

The crazy spring break crowds are here, my passes are blacked out. I’m going to the desert.

That 15" skied pretty nice. Hope we get a few more storms before bike season!

Name:	VID_20240309_151654702_exported_8264.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	342.4 KB 
ID:	489913
    kittyhump.com - Fund Max, Cat Appreciation, Bike

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post

Yes!!!

So this is Santa Fe? I thought I saw some good rocks there for a bit of the ole carcass huckins!
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post

Big rocks? Sick!

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Send! Woot!