Page 11 of 61 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: TAOS New Mexico....BETA.....?

The landlord for that house in Valdez was a guy known to my friends who rented it as "Tony Black". Why Tony Black? Apparently to differentiate himself from Tony Red.

How do I know this? Because I eventually rented a place from Tony Red. The place I rented was a space walled off in Tony Red's house in upper ranchitos. The setup was down a one lane road that contained 100% members of Tony's family, and me. The middle aged and younger guys across the dirt courtyard were burglars, they'd do contracting jobs, drywall, to scout places, then go back and rob them. That was their profession. They sold pot and coke, and stole stuff from rich peoples' houses. They took care of their grandpa Tony Red. When the police would come down the long one lane dirt road into the compound, everyone knew well in advance and they all holed up in their houses. Nobody knew nothing.

I didn't learn all this right away, it took time.
    Tony Red drank a case of Tecate every day. One time, I said a pleasant howdy to Tony Red as he was heading, wasted, from his truck to his front door. He staggered at me, "do you know me? Do you...know....me?" he reached up (I'm way bigger than this little old mexican man) and grabbed my shirt collar and yanked me downward. "I'm Tony Red motherfucker! hahahahahah!"
    I said "Tony, take it easy man, it's all good".
    Tony Red's eyes were yellow. Tony was probably dying of liver disease.
    Various family members reacted to me in a variety of ways. There was an old woman who would become instantly terrified of seeing a white man in the compound, she'd run screaming into the house. I told her middle aged son I was sorry to have somehow scared her, he explained she didn't understand why there was a white guy in their ranchito. One of the many middle aged sons would be all over me any time he saw me, asking for a ride into town, asking to borrow money, looking at my stuff in the house--probably eyeing it all up for pawn moves. One of the other sons saw this and ended up beating this guy up, then he would look at me across the way with this look of resentment. Sometimes he'd still come over and ask to borrow money or get a ride into the plaza.

I kept this place for a long time after I stopped sleeping there because there was a garage and I kept my motorcycles there and did motorcycle work. The boys across the way were into motorcycles too, and eventually we started going on rides together. Once they realized I was OK, I got to learn a lot of the dynamic there. There were some members of the family who were dead set against having any white people in the compound, but to hassle me was threatening Tony Red's money, and nobody in the family messed with Tony Red's money. The rectangle of land had been divided and divided as the family expanded, until this part of it was full of Tony Red's family in a little circle of trailer homes. Yes, they knew Tony Black, fuck that guy. The boys did drywall and yanked stuff from rich peoples' houses when they were out of town and partied and sold some weed. They took their mud trucks in the hills and shot deer and grew herb. They were not cholos, they were like spanish cowboys. Their women were beautiful on a scale I can't really properly relate, and it was both a personal challenge to never view them in that light and a source of some respect from the boys that I was respectful and midwest-polite with their wives, sisters, girlfriends and daughters. The police knew Tony Red's truck and did not dare pull him over when he was weaving through the backroads on a bender. They had cousins in the police who helped keep everything smooth. They didn't worry too much about anything. They were some of the most laid back, mellow guys I've ever known.
    If you drive down that one lane dirt road...

into the compound

there's going to be a pitbull jumping at your car door and ladies are going to retreat into the houses calling for the boys, and the boys are going to come out with a shotgun and ask where you think you're going eh...where you think this is holmes?
    Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 02-24-2017 at 10:23 AM. Reason: added photos

Dude, you had some fucked up experiences that I did not see in my years there.

I worked carpentry in the summers and was the only gringo one year on a crew. The chicano's were certainly tough and rough around the edges, but once your earned their respect and friendship, they are rock solid.

The chicanos in the ski valley were the same, they had your back once you befriended them.

One season and old Taoseno shows up from AK with 4lbs of Alaskan Thunderfuck. So through my chicano friends, I end up hooking up with him and I'm the only gringo in Taos with the goods. It was kind of funny as people were buying it by the gram back then. Of course, within a week or so this guy got ripped off and the rest of the weed he hadn't sold disappeared forever.

The one thing that bothered me about the locals was the littering. I never really said much, but I'd pick it up right in front of them. It's just a completely different culture and mindset.

Returning a couple years ago I was shocked at how many locals had passed away or were going through really tough times. It's a tough place to grow up, similar to a lot places in the US I suppose. It's just odd in Taos because it's such a beautiful place...with ripping skiing.

Bumpin this shit.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Nearing graduation from Fort Lewis College in 1993 I knew I wanted to ski bum for a while. I considered Jackson Hole, Alta, Big Sky, Bridger- I decided to go to Taos.
    In the early fall of 93 I loaded up my life in my Toyota Tercel wagon and headed south. I had one phone number of a guy in Seco but when I called, it was disconnected. I camped out on the creek on the way up to the ski valley for about 7 days. Every few days when the newspaper came out I got one and looked for a place to live. I eventually found an affordable place with a couple artists. A couple days later I got a job up at Cottam's Ski Shop. I'd met John Cottam at a Wendys in town just prior to him and his family leaving for a trip to Europe. Cottam was a former junior Olympic skier. I'd raced in college and loved skiing. We connected and he gave me a job, a ski pass, and the freedom to ski the mountain every day.
    That first season at Taos was incredible. Everything clicked. I hiked the lift-served terrain every day and got to know the area pretty well. When I first moved there, I thought I was a good skier. I had a lot to learn. I'd moved there because the area averaged over 300 inches per season and was known for tight, steep terrain with lots of chutes.
    Out of the 4 seasons I lived there, I still didn't get to ski all the nooks and cranny lines I'd wanted to but, that's the allure of Taos. There is so much excellent terrain there, so many places to explore.
    A few days after scoring my job at Cottam's I left for a 25 day Grand Canyon trip. When I came back it was early November. On the cover of the Taos newspaper there was a picture of Tim from Tim's Stray Dog skiing untracked powder pre-season at the ski valley. The next day I was up there skinning around the area on my 203 Evolutions, Silveretta 404s and Nordica race boots.
    The deep blue skies of New Mexico were all around me and the snow was perfect.
    I thought to myself, "What a great place".

I knew eventually we'd hear from at least one of the cottamites.

If you were there 4 seasons I got there the year after you left. Shift change.
    Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 02-25-2017 at 06:41 PM.

Yep, I did a couple seasons at Cottam's and then scored a job at the Boot Doctors working the demo bench and tuning skis. Had lots of great times on the hill and working at the shop. Guided rafts down the Rio in the spring and summer for Native Sons Adventures- good times in New Mexico!

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    I knew eventually we'd hear from at least one of cottamites.

If you were there 4 seasons I got there the year after you left. Shift change.

There was a clothing embroidery company in D verbyears back that had an outlet store down on south Broadway that sold seconds, overruns etc. bought fleece vests, hats, shirts cheap. Got a Cottams staff vest. Never been down there though.

Rock hard and fucking cold today. Such a weird town.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Rock hard and fucking cold today.
    as I said on the first page of the thread 5 years ago:
    1st half of run: hammering rocks.
    2nd half of run: trying to edge on hardpack with blown sidewalls.

I know it's good snow this year, but on a cold, hard day like today I bet you can see how it gets in a thin season with a 30" base for much of the year. It's not for the weak.

Chiming in as another Cottomite,

Ex-girlfriend in Portland finally put the kabosh on everything. No way a soon to be Naturopath could be with a simpleton working carpentry and at a ski factory. So in my ripe age of 29 decided it was time to try ski bumming for a bit. Thought about Jackson, Alta and Taos. My good friend, Bissell, who some of you guys probably know, always stoked up Taos while we worked together. Thought about it for a while and decided it was the spot.

Looking for a place to live via Craigslist was interesting. Looks pretty expensive for the most part but then I found it "$1 - simple living - Taos Ski Valley - Big Al" drop Al an email and he calls back at 4am the next morning. After a 30 minute chat we have a verbal handshake that I'll do work exchange with him for an 8x12 shack on his property in the Ski Valley. Fast forward a few weeks and I cruise from Moab to Taos just an hour or so ahead of a massive system crossing the West. Finally get to the ski valley and it's nuking. Met Al at Tim's immediately meeting my neighbors having whiskey and dinner. Next day shovel a bunch of snow and hop on sleds under the clear, blue NM sky. Get home to my shack and admire Kachina Peak out my window. Unreal first day.

I'm sure a few of you guys have met Al or maybe had friends living in his shacks. So thankful to cross paths with this guy and have a cool opportunity in the ski valley. My best friends / ski partners are the other two dudes that were also living in Al's shacks last year. Rock solid group of dudes.

Worked about 15 hours a week at Cottam's last season; just enough (or not really) for my pass. Found myself drinking a lot working there. Decided that wasn't healthy for me this year.

Tried to leave Taos, lasted 2 months back up in the PNW and I'm here to stay. Scored a casita along the Hondo and have at least 2 summers of building here on the property. Working at Ski Mastery so if you're around stop in and say hey.

Hills been skiing fucking fast lately with wicked winds and super cold temps. Been looking to where that sugar snow has been depositing with all this wind. It was 100% not in Meatball yesterday.

Hoping to get some more of this action this week.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    as I said on the first page of the thread 5 years ago:
    1st half of run: hammering rocks.
    2nd half of run: trying to edge on hardpack with blown sidewalls.

I know it's good snow this year, but on a cold, hard day like today I bet you can see how it gets in a thin season with a 30" base for much of the year. It's not for the weak.
    And for some reason this is what I love about south west skiing. It's hardy and you have to be patient but when it hits we are so grateful for the conditions and the terrain is absolutely awesome. this is even true here in flagstaff, sure our ski area isn't Taos but the touring on the Peaks is awesome but we sometimes wait for a few years for things to really shape up for high quality conditions in our back country. I guess it helps me develop a strong appreciation for good skiing once we have it and you learn to appreciate the not so good skiing too. I think there is a bond between these ski communities as well from all of this.

Oh yeah, the sunshine is pretty nice too.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Well, at least the cold temps will freeze the mud parking lots.

looks good for next two days
    off your knees Louie

Crazy read from start to finish. My wife is actually part Pueblo and her dad's side are tribal members. But they left the reservation and New Mexico a number of years ago.

Taos and Northern New Mexico sounds eerily similar to Hawaii. The social dynamic, the pace of life, the unspoken rules and the way things are handled when law enforcement has to get involved. All of it bunched together in a little amazing place.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    looks good for next two days
    Stacking up out there. Wind was quite favorable in spots. Stoke is high.

Today did not suck at all. More than made up for the last two of boilerplate and high winds. Came up with low expectations, I think the forecast was scattered showers, 1". At the top of lift 4 it seemed like 5 - 6", Hunziker bowl was a blast, and the woods were full of nice soft snow. Like this:

Name:  Taos woods.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  112.6 KB

And they're predicting 6 - 10" tonight (as I fly home .... )

NO that spells NO

Rock hard and fucking cold today. Such a weird town.
    Benny-Did it feel like Vermont to you (without good grooming). I was there the day before your post and the snow reminded me of Back East. Please expand on your Taos experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Notyourtocayo View Post
    Benny-Did it feel like Vermont to you (without good grooming). I was there the day before your post and the snow reminded me of Back East. Please expand on your Taos experience.
    Back east is blue ice and boilerplate. That stuff at least has an edge. The bumps are ridiculous, though. Way too big and hard.
    Better be some more snow up there this morning, cause it's raining in town.

16" overnight and still snowing. Vicariously stoked!
    Aggressive in my own mind

wondering if any insight if everything will open or wait till tomorrow.
    off your knees Louie

I'll tell you all about my experience at Taos. Last week of February, 2015. February 27, 2015 - deepest day of my life. 70 inch storm cycle. Drove down from Denver and stayed at the Abominable Snowman Hostel...such a cool place. Having been a recent east coast transplant, I had never been to Taos. Most ridiculous skiing I've ever experienced. First run, I was probably the second person of day down Al's Run. Smooth overhead blower, top to bottom. First run ever at Taos. The whole day was like that. There was an FWQ event there that day, which had been cancelled due to lack of visibility...fortnuately, I found some friendlycompetitors, and they said "hey, why don't you come ski the venue with us..they're not running the comp." Needless to say, we spent the day making insanely deep turns, interspersed with the occasional monster huck. Steep tree runs, you could barely keep your speed going it was so deep...timing your breathing in between turns deep. So, that was my first day ever at Taos.

Next day, the crowds showed up...it was still a ridiculously awesome day, but just did not compare to that Friday. I love Taos.

Quote Originally Posted by hoarhey View Post
    16" overnight and still snowing.
    However, it is a might windy. In excess of 50 mph forecast for this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    wondering if any insight if everything will open or wait till tomorrow.
    Only chair one, and that's a struggle. Mighty, mighty winds. Mananna should be awesome.