Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Terry Francona

Terry Francona

Bosox mgr gets the boot after winning 2 championships in 8 years. This is a team that hadn't won in like 100 years or something? I smell the beginning of another jinx. Well deserved too!

so bummed. and fuck you.

Bring on the stupid fucking Boston haters. Fuck you, your anger just makes us stronger.

change up might do some good.
    in 2005-2006 I was talking to some lady who was a BoSox executive on vacation in PC and she implied that the office didn't like him and wanted him gone, but he won the world series.

I thought he was a great 'players manager', but he honestly hasn't been getting it done the last couple years. ...I mean second highest payroll and no playoffs, twice? inexcusable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Francona seems fine with it, actually. Maybe it is time. Either that or John Henry just turned into another meddling god-damn owner, in which case shoot me. Sure seems to me like maybe Curt Young might've been the issue but what do I know?

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    Bring on the stupid fucking Boston haters. Fuck you, your anger just makes us stronger.
    I don't care what they do I'm really not judging-it's just an observation. Wasn't supposed to sound angry. They seem to be drinking their own bath water up there after a little prosperity. Just a conversation starter with a bit of historical context. ie: Curse of the bambino. But thank you for sharing your hormones with us, miss. And ya you sound reeeeeal strong.

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post

I thought he was a great 'players manager', but he honestly hasn't been getting it done the last couple years. ...I mean second highest payroll and no playoffs, twice? inexcusable.
    Tough to blame the manager when your starting pitchers had an era of 7.00 in the month of September.

Lifelong Sox fan here. I think it's a shame. Anymore in coaching, managing, etc. it's like if you have a bad year, you're gone. Like when Nebraska fired Frank
    Solich to "compete at a higher level" and the team tanked. Francona obviously knows what he's doing, has won 2 world series, I mean really.

Just watched some of that press conference, it seemed like all kissing Francona's ass because I bet tons of people are pissed about it. I don't think Francona wanted to return anyway because he'd have a cloud hanging over him the whole time. Like someone else said, the pitchers have a 7.00 era and it's the manager's fault.

I hate the Sox, but dude has class. Gotta give him that.
    Join WAFTA, promoting downhill and freeride trails in the Wasatch. www.waftautah.com

Quote Originally Posted by Missing Sock View Post
    Tough to blame the manager when your starting pitchers had an era of 7.00 in the month of September.
    Pretty sure if they could fire Crawford and Lackey's bitch asses they would. Tito gets to play scapegoat for all the pissed off chowds.

I'd say fans here are a bit more reasonable than your average fan.

I don't think anybody except maybe John Henry wanted to make a scapegoat out of Tito. People know it's not his fault. Now, I'm sure there's plenty of people who are glad it happened because they think it's time for a change, I see that as a different thing.

i liked terry, but i think it was the right move letting him go. he's a player's manager and that works well w/ a certain group of guys. guys who help police themselves. this group of players doesn't really have that (maybe pedroia). their hands are pretty much tied for the next year or two w/ the current contracts so the only "move" they could make was to get rid of tito and bring in someone new. down the stretch, he just didn't seem to do anything to shake things up when they were collapsing. how about a bunt every once in awhile? also didn't hold players accountable for not hustling, missing cut-offs, or baserunning blunders. sure, a little harder to do w/ guaranteed contracts but...
    bring on bobby v!

I like Francona, but as others said, he's a players manager and the current crop need a bit more managing. I was never a big fan of his style, and the 2 WS seemed to grow out of a mix of hungry young guys and organized hungry vets. There aren't any vets out there now that seem to be policing people, just a lot of passionate dudes with no one to steer them.

I highly recommend that everyone see Moneyball before you post again in this thread.

btw, Francona basically confessed that he lost control of the dick swinging assholes. Not good.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I highly recommend that everyone see Moneyball before you post again in this thread.

btw, Francona basically confessed that he lost control of the dick swinging assholes. Not good.

I wonder who the clubhouse assholes are?

I'll post this and pledge to see Moneyball. it has received absurdly good reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

My guess is the second and tbird basemen.

Moneyball showcased Brad Pitt and nothing else...boring as fuck. Read the book instead IMHO.

Francona wanted out because he was sick of babysitting a bunch of overpaid jerkoffs who didn't give a shit about winning.

Baseball contracts, and NBA contracts for that matter, inherently breed a sense of complacency when given to a superstar with the wrong "makeup". Unlike the NFL where you actually have to earn your contract year-in and year-out (for the most part). Ie. Guaranteed $$

Yeah I read the book, I'll assume that there were no revelations in the movie. Leaving fucking Michael Lewis aside for a moment, I wouldn't fuck Billy Bean with your dick. If the point was to win baseball games.

As passionate as Yankee fans are, RSN takes the religion of baseball to 11. Not a big surprise that this has turned into a full-on psychotic event.

Take a stroll through the Boston Herald/Globe, Soxaholics, Dirt Dogs, etc. With the exceptions of Ellsbury, Pedroia, and Lester, everyone from John Henry down to the batboy is being accused of deadly baseball sins: slothful (Beckett), undermining (Ortiz and his Aceves comments), douchebag (Lackey), lacking gravitas (Francona), bad clubhouse juju (Youkilis), stupid and unwilling to be accountable (Gonzalez), out of control (unnamed beer-guzzling pitchers), ineffective (Theo)... it goes on and on.

Given that the already brutal Boston microscope (fans, press, front office) is going to be a hundred times more intense, how do you reconfigure everything so that the new guy isn't set up for failure? I guess that the Yankees had a similar reckoning after the 2004 debacle, but this seems to be several magnitudes worse.

As bad as it looks right now, I'm betting that the drama queenery will subside over the off-season and it'll be business as usual next spring.
    You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness, and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer.

Well, yeah, Francona's no idiot, so he's getting out before he' s tarred and feathered and put in a stockade on the commons.

If the nation is as knowledgable as everyone says they are then they have no reason to put this collapse on Francona's shoulders...at the end of the day(read:season) this falls on the ineffectiveness of a very good roster.

Very good article I stumbled upon from The Buffalo News. Pretty much says it all about the Sox' season. Also a bit on ATL.

Tito's gone. Now, the Theo watch begins. John Henry didn't have the balls to own up to his decision and face Tito and the press. How convenient that he whacks his head on his yacht so he can't go to the conference. He's able to get home in time to see Liverpool beat Everton though. Wooppeee!

Fuck this talk of curses. If cosmic supernatural forces control who wins a game then what's the point of trying. Looks like the shit hit the fan and only Ellsbury and Pedroia didn't get hit with the brown stuff.

Ah, the hot stove season is already in full swing! And so is the postseason.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Very good article I stumbled upon from The Buffalo News.
    I wasn't aware of this bit of brutal karma:

That low 5-foot wall in left field that Evan Longoria's walk-off home run cleared? It was a modification to Tropicana Field in 2007 from 9 feet high because the Rays wanted their fleet left fielder to able to entertain fans with wall-climbing catches. His name? Carl Crawford.
    You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness, and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer.

Mr Crawford will soon ( if not yet) find out why it wasn't a bright idea to be a well paid black athlete in Boston.

ps: Hey, Ice, since you're such a fan, Michael Lewis has a new piece in Vanity Fair about Calyforneeah by way of Ahnold, and there's a profile of him in NY magazine. Enjoy!