Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I salute you, office workers.

Recently I had an on the job injury (acl), and I was off work on workers comp for about 5 weeks. Well, the party is over and they brought me back to work 'light duty', in other words, office stuff, m-f, 8 hours a day. Now, let me say that I'm stoked that I have a job at all and my income hasn't changed (except loss of OT, but that's another story) but this shit sucks. I sit in a cube staring at a computer all day, I can't even see a window from where I sit. I'm pretty sure I have severe ADD because I type one line and then go for a walk, type a line, and then play scrabble on my phone, type a line, surf the net, etc. The worst part is when you leave you know you have to come back everyday for 5 fucking days!!

The upside is no one is really watching me right now so I go work out, take long lunches, walk around often (it helps the knee), and chat on line. I am developing an alcohol problem because when I get home all I want to do is drink.

Oh, I did do something productive though! While entering invoices into the computer from medical supplies I noticed that sometimes the same things got charged different amounts. When I told the Medical Chief this he wanted me to go through every order line by line and cross reference it with the price list they gave us (fuckin ugh). I have found where they overcharged us almost $5k so far, Ogden taxpayers, you owe me!

Welcome to the reason why I have 20k+ posts.

Ha ha . Don't bitch about not having a window. I have a big window...it looks out at the damn Tetons...I am stuck inside for 10-12 hours a day watching people have fun.

But seriously, sounds like it could be temporary. Either way, you seem to be impressing the right folks without slaving by the computer all day. Get in good with mgmt, get big promo, make more lute, then promote yourself to outside duty.

Just don't forget the TPS reports...
    "Go Balls Deep!"

Thanks, I need a little pat on the back every now and then.

I used to be over by the window, and I could see the squirrels, and they were merry, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and it's not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire.

This was my life. I actually think my cube job GAVE me ADHD...I was fine before that (well, kind of).

God I remember that feeling...type a line, surf net for 6 hrs...type another line, time to go home -- FINALLY. Look at all the prolific posters on this board. They are or once were cube slaves.

Now I barely post because I herd teenagers for a living. Any spare time I have is now strictly devoted to drinking.

Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

There's 2 sides to every coin.

Depends on what your non-cube job is. I worked construction before getting my computer science degree. Carrying 50 pound bags on concrete is not better than cube life.

Currently, all I have to do is do the tasks assigned and an occassional over the top task so I remain the best looking programmer in our shop as my bosses are clueless at actually managing work assigned.

If I want to work out for lunch, go home for lunch or run errands; I do so. I'm planning on calling in sick monday and doing some work around the house because I can remote in if the really need me.

But a window is a must have.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

You should build a Lambo in the break room. Or maybe a Porsche.

I have a great North facing view of the Hawthorne Bridge, and the top of a Cascade Peak. Sadly our new building will probably isolate me in a secure "bubble" due to NERC issues.

Though honestly I could do 90 percent of my job remotely. I spend more time logged into wind farm servers in the Midwest than I do doing anything else.

I came from doing telecom, and sometimes I miss being outside, and being able to produce a quality product with my hands.
    Training for Alpental

Quote Originally Posted by milton View Post
    I used to be over by the window, and I could see the squirrels, and they were merry, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and it's not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire.
    hahahah yes!

I went from building sweet shit to doing interesting and challenging things in an office. I wouldn't go back for anything.

Different strokes, McLovin.

/not at work; in class

This really was the perfect thread for you, 7 years after creating your account. Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by milton View Post

The best job I ever had was a mix of both (PM for land development projects). Go to the cube in the morning. Talk the the boss. Answer a few emails and out to cruise the different project sites. Perfect.

Now I'm stuck at the computer. Good gig for the most part, but sitting inside all day just kills me. But I got me a window. I look out over the abandoned trickling fillters of a poop plant. So I got that going for me.

I still just feel sorry for you cubicle jockeys. ++++vibes+++++

Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

It all depends. I had a job right out of college where I would literally fall asleep BECAUSE no one was watching over me. Now I have deadlines (end enjoy it more) so I don't get bored.
    I think you have me confused with someone who is far less awesome.

Does anybody have wi-fi in the bathroom? I just found one around the corner with it. Nice time waster.

i love my red swingline stapler, it doesn't bind up and it's the crown jewel of my cubicle.

life is good.

Yep, it must be real tough having A/C in the summer, and forced air heat in the winter. My condolences

Did it for 4 years after college. Got the fuck out of there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Welcome to the reason why I have 20k+ posts.
    Yep yep, planned 2 UT mini summits from "the cube".

Who knows what is in store next for this guy but hoping not another cube.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Left my cubicle job ten years ago and haven't looked back.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

I don't know if this thread makes me feel better or worse about my cubexistence. At least I bike commute and work 4 10s. I'd probably go bat-shit crazy otherwise.

To the OP: Remember this after you get back and start to think about putting in for promotions.

I work from home now, but it's not that bad. I enjoy it more than construction, and I get to play with neat data most days. Other days are a suckhole of productivity. I recommend headphones with fast music on them. You HAVE to be productive to that music.