Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Supplements, what and where?

What's everybody taking, and more importantly, where are you getting them? I'm thinking my generic fish oil pills may not be the best source of Omega 3. I'd normally check on Consumer Lab, but my sub is long expired. An online source would be great cause I don't like shopping or people.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Fish oil, Vitamin D and daily multi (for me)...all from Costco.
    Maybe DTM has something else to add, but that's what we take everyday.
    you sketchy character, you

http://cornerbistrony.com/

supplemental bacon cheeseburgers and beer, quarterly
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

I take these two every day, the first from Amazon and the other from the GNC online store. I take a multi from GNC like 3x/week and some other mineral/trace mineral pills a couple times a week (zinc, chromium, magnesium, copper, trace elements, all from Amazon). I'm trying to bump up the antioxidants, esp. resveratol but I don't have that dialed yet.

Note that the calcium one below also contains Vitamin K2. I had never heard of Vitamin K2 when I first bought these. I asked the Lady if it was as good as Vitamin K, squared, but she didn't get it. Then I asked if it was the second-highest vitamin and she didn't get that, so I asked her if it used to be made in the USA and pretty good but now was made in China and is crappy, and she didn't get that either so I just bought the stuff and left before she kicked me out.

I'm taking Alive (http://www.feelalive.com)
    and some NKO - neptune krill oil.... I just like saying "Yo! Krillllll...." http://www.amazon.com/Source-Natural.../dp/B000GFJK0U
    "People think complaining about conditions makes them sound discerning, like giving nitpick notes on a fine dining experience. In reality it's just like saying "i'm a shitty cook." -MildBill

Liquor.com

Quote Originally Posted by altachic View Post
    Fish oil, Vitamin D and daily multi (for me)...all from Costco.
    Maybe DTM has something else to add, but that's what we take everyday.
    Ditto, recommend the Enteric coated fish oil from there.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    What's everybody taking, and more importantly, where are you getting them? I'm thinking my generic fish oil pills may not be the best source of Omega 3. I'd normally check on Consumer Lab, but my sub is long expired. An online source would be great cause I don't like shopping or people.
    Hi bagtagley,

I hope you are well. I have some experience in the supplement world, so I hope this helps. My sister is a Registered Clinical Dietition and I plan to attend medical school in January... Here goes:

-Calcium: Many people don't eat enough calcium-containing foods. This can add to a person's risk of developing osteoporosis, or weakened bones. The recommended amount of calcium for most adults is about 1200 mg per day.
    -Vitamin D: Some of the vitamin D you need comes from the food you eat, but most of it is made by your body after exposure to sun. Vitamin D is important for calcium absorption and the two nutrients are often combined into one supplement. An average adult needs about 400 IU of vitamin D. I was low in Vitamin D because I worked inside all the time. So, my ND wrote a script for Vit D. Most multivitamins have Vit D.
    -Fish Oil: Omega-3 fatty acids will help prevent cardiovascular disease. Fatty fish is the best dietary source of omega-3 fatty acids, though plants such as flax contain omega-3 fatty acids. Studies suggest that 0.5 to 1.8 grams of fish oil per day is an effective amount.
    -Folic Acid: Folate is a B vitamin and folic acid is the supplemental form of folate. Folate is found in green leafy vegetables, citrus fruit and legumes. Folic acid supplementation is recommended for any woman who may become pregnant and may also help reduce homocysteine levels, which might help reduce the risk of heart disease. The recommended amount for adults is 400 mcg per day.
    -Chondroitin and Glucosamine: Researchers from the Glucosamine/Chondroitin Arthritis Intervention Trial found that participants with moderate-to-severe osteoarthritis pain found statistically significant amounts of pain relief with 1500 mg glucosamine combined with 1200 mg chondroitin sulfate supplements.
    -Antioxidants and Zinc: The Age-Related Eye Disease Study results showed that a combination of antioxidants and zinc taken as a dietary supplement reduced the risk of advanced age-related macular degeneration. The formula used in the study was:
    •500 mg of vitamin C
    •400 IU of vitamin E
    •15 mg of beta-carotene
    •80 mg of zinc as zinc oxide
    •2 mg of copper as cupric oxide
    -Probiotics: Foods like yogurt and fermented foods naturally contain bacteria called probiotics. These bacteria are similar to the friendly bacteria normally found in your digestive system. Probiotics are also available as dietary supplements and may be beneficial for people with irritable bowel syndrome and diarrhea.
    -Dietary Supplement Safety: In general, dietary supplements are safe. However keep these points in mind when you take them:
    •Eat a healthy diet. Multivitamins and other dietary supplements will not replace an unhealthy diet. Focus on eating sufficient amounts of fruits and vegetables, low-fat dairy products, whole grains, lean meats, fish, poultry, nuts, seeds and legumes.
    •Don't overdose your supplements. Some vitamins such as vitamin D, vitamin A and vitamin B6 can be bad for your health when taken in extremely large amounts for extended periods of time. Follow the dosage instruction on the label.
    •Tell your doctor. Some dietary supplements can interact with medications, so tell your doctor about the dietary supplements you take.
    •Understand the label. Dietary supplement labels can make claims about how the dietary supplement may affect the structure or the function of the body, but not claims to treat or cure a disease.

More About Labels
    The labels on dietary supplements can be very confusing. Supplement manufacturers can make health claims if they are approved by the FDA. One example would be "adequate folic acid may reduce a woman's risk of having a child with a neural tube defect." Label claims may not promise cures, or guarantee that taking their supplement will prevent any disease.

So, I would continue to do your searches. But, check out this website: http://www.webmd.com/

I always go there for questions and it is reliable.

Much love and peace to you and best of luck!!
    I really do want world peace...

I take Vitamin C, beta-carotene, a perfrormance mulitvitamin(Costco), echinacea/goldenseal, lysine, Super Omega-3(fish, flax, borage), and glucosamin/chondroitin(Costco). A generally take just one pill/day of all of them except when I get sick.
    I can highly recommend the Omega-3 pills, they have really helped my cholesterol numbers.
    All the other non-Costco vitamins I get when they are buy-one-get one-free...
    "this thread is an odd combo of win and fail." -Danno

Curcumin. The most potent and effective anti-cancer supplement available.

Piracetum and Choline. Keeps your mind sharp

Aspirin. Lots of benefits

Fish oil.

I get all my supplements at either Costco, Whole Foods, or Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmthmtskier View Post
    I take Vitamin C, beta-carotene, a perfrormance mulitvitamin(Costco), echinacea/goldenseal, lysine, Super Omega-3(fish, flax, borage), and glucosamin/chondroitin(Costco).
    Good Lord!

Heres a good list of information from the National Institute for health (NIH)
    http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/list-all

Bone strength is no longer about Calcium and vitamin D. Now MK-7 and Strontium are all the rage.

Calcium and D, when supplemented for bone health, is correlated with a 20-25% increase in cardiovascular disease risk. Pick your poison.

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    Calcium and D, when supplemented for bone health, is correlated with a 20-25% increase in cardiovascular disease risk. Pick your poison.
    I have heard (and I have no idea if it's true or not) that the increased risk was associated with calcium deposits in the arteries that are negated by vitamin K (particularly k2) supplementation. Any info/thoughts?

Fish oil from Nordic Naturals.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Good Lord!
    Seven pills/day. I don't even use water to swallow them down anymore: As I'm eating, I just swallow one down and take a bite of food.

Waiting for spats to make an entrance into this thread...
    "this thread is an odd combo of win and fail." -Danno

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Curcumin. The most potent and effective anti-cancer supplement available.

Piracetum and Choline. Keeps your mind sharp

Fish oil.

I get all my supplements at either Costco, Whole Foods, or Amazon.
    curcumin= almost curry!!! Great root btw and great list.

I am off all supplements.Super diverse and healthy eating habits are having us feel the best in years. No alcohol helps 100% too. I drink very rarely for work when abroad, 1x or 2x a month 3 or 4 months a year...hard not to.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I take these two every day, the first from Amazon and the other from the GNC online store. I take a multi from GNC like 3x/week and some other mineral/trace mineral pills a couple times a week (zinc, chromium, magnesium, copper, trace elements, all from Amazon). I'm trying to bump up the antioxidants, esp. resveratol but I don't have that dialed yet.

Note that the calcium one below also contains Vitamin K2. I had never heard of Vitamin K2 when I first bought these. I asked the Lady if it was as good as Vitamin K, squared, but she didn't get it. Then I asked if it was the second-highest vitamin and she didn't get that, so I asked her if it used to be made in the USA and pretty good but now was made in China and is crappy, and she didn't get that either so I just bought the stuff and left before she kicked me out.

Careful with the calcium, or you'll end up with a "stomach ache" that will have you begging for death...

I inject testosterone daily, fixes everything.

Not just any testosterone. Bull Shark testosterone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post

aspirin has lots of harmful effects like stomach ulcers. correct me if i'm wrong. i wouldn't take that all the time.
    whatever I feel like i what to do!

You really don't need to overthink this one:

1. Fish oil
    2. A good multivitamin (GNC MegaMan is the best I've found)
    3. Acidopholous
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

CoQ10
    Hammer Endurance Aminos
    GNC Mega Man multi
    I resolve PC issues remotely. Need to get rid of all that pr0n you downloaded on your work laptop? Or did you just get a ton of viruses from searching for "geriatic midget sex"? Either way I can fix them. PM Me for maggot prices.

Follow me on Twitter
    Facebook - Become a Fan

In the Greatest Nation on this Amazing Planet
    No.1 thing you should take is Acidophilus. Acidophilus Info

I've taking Bio-K yogurt form and a Seroyal HMF Forte probiotic capsules for years now it real helps.

Years back I had a blood test where the doctor takes a pin prick of blood and exams 2 samples under 2 different microscopes. Well after he placed the blood under both microscopes he gets called away. After 20 minutes he returns and apologizes and says he has to take another pin prick of blood. I ask why and he continues to explain that blood dies after 3-5 minutes on the microscopes. Doesn't he take look before doing another pin prick and found my blood was still alive ! He was amazed until he noticed the high concentration of Acidopilus in my blood. He attributed this to my high levels of Acidoplius but I'll never forget what he said "if you don't take any other supplement just take Acidopilus" !

Check this out Bio-K testimonial
    Quote Originally Posted by theshredder View Post
    i identify as a gay transexual

Fish Oil pills from costco (if the fishy burps bug you you can freeze them) and this NOW ADAM Mulit-V, super cheap & has a ton of the right stuff in it. This is a good one for all the digestive flora.

When I was heavy into powerlifting we'd take a ton of other supplements as well, Cissus, lots of BCAA's, Creatine (does alot more than just put water into your muscles), tons of whey, etc. Just have to realize there is an entire industry built around sports supplements thats pretty poorly regulated, and alot of them make claims that aren't anywhere close to true. Reservatrol was mentioned in this thread, the compound itself has benefits but from what I'd read they still hadnt found a way to cost-effectively put it in pills that would deliver the same benefits. Should be wary of the testosterone boosters as well, most are based on unproven herbal ingredients, some have legit ingredients that just aren't bioavailable in pill form, and others are full on steroids under the guise of "supplements". The FDA really does a piss poor job.

We've won it. It's going to get better now. You can sort of tell these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Snowballs View Post
    No.1 thing you should take is Acidophilus.
    Why not just eat yogurt?

Im a fan of basic multi vitamins, fish oil, glucoasmine and vitamine C.

On a side note though, any one know anything about GABA other than what wiki says?

Quote Originally Posted by OldLarry View Post
    http://cornerbistrony.com/

supplemental bacon cheeseburgers and beer, quarterly
    This, and a good shot of tequila here and there. Oh, and lots of garlic.