Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Let's talk about Radio.

For the purposes of this conversation by "Radio" I mean something with a DJ of sorts that you can receive in your car or at you home or on your phone. "Radio" where there's somebody picking the tunes.

I'm a huge fan of radio in any form as long as the person picking the tunes knows what they're doing. I have spotify, and it's great, I pay extra for it, but as long as you are picking the tunes there's no surprises, no opportunity to learn something.

So that's my general take. My specific take is that "Underground Garage" on Sirius kicks ass once you figure out what they're doing. Took me a while, pm me if you want. I loved "Deep Tracks for a while but my take is "too much Mott The Hoople, no Velvet Undergound".

i just found this station. it's public radio the likes of which, i've never heard. it has become the go to station in the ski shop. check out the live stream.
    http://minnesota.publicradio.org/rad...s/the_current/
    crab in my shoe mouth

I think I see what you're getting at.

We're lucky in my neck of the woods to have a local DJ who hosts a *Sunday Morning Acoustic Brunch* from 9-noon, all tunes hand selected, some with a nod to local artists, takes requests, mentions tons of local happenings (concerts, lost dogs, etc), is tight with many folks i.e. birthdays, anniversaries, and is a pretty cool gal.

Mostly she plays really good tunes.

Hope that doesn't go away with the spotify/pandora/satellite transformation of radio, pretty sure there's a place for both.

Growing up, I always liked Vin Scelsa.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexi-Bell View Post
    I think I see what you're getting at..
    I think you do. Essentially, everything is nothing, that's my point. There's too much music, you could never explore it without guides. So the whole guide/dj thing has become even more important, in my mind. It gives you a chance to find the good shit.

Depending on the show, DJ these stations are on heavy rotation

WWOZ - New Orleans
    WFMU - East Orange.
    KRFC - Fart Colllins

And some crazy station out of South Africa to mix things up.
    http://www.radiomoris.com/player

For me finding the good shit has led me to finding even better shit than I ever thought was even out there.

More than half my pandora stations/channels are based on artists I discovered on pandora.

Right now I'm rockin the link posted above and lovin the MPR thanks man!

Radio sucks out here in the sticks.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    ^^^^ more better cause it was live and pissed off Loren.

Slc radio except public radio Krcl blows
    I miss wxrt chitown
    and memories of laughin my ass off at steve Dhals morning zanieisms
    InsaNE cOhO lIPS 4 LIFE
    iCE PM ME SIRRUS FUNDS
    "Radio is in the hands of fools"
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

FWIW - I'm on the radio now.

www.kmtnthemountain.com Click "Listen" on the right. Every Sat am 7-10.

this is about the only time i turn on fm radio for music purposes:
    the Lyon's Den on Sundays
    http://mongoland.com/podcast/?p=1062

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    FWIW - I'm on the radio now.

www.kmtnthemountain.com Click "Listen" on the right. Every Sat am 7-10.
    Radio friggin blows out here.

What kind of show do you do Schwerty?

hoping it's something like this:
    "Hey, from the racks and stacks it's the best on wax. How about another olden golden twin spin sound set?
    From K-M-T-N in Jackson, . . i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-t's . . . The Schwerty"

Quote Originally Posted by DeathVan View Post

What kind of show do you do Schwerty?

hoping it's something like this:
    "Hey, from the racks and stacks it's the best on wax. How about another olden golden twin spin sound set?
    From K-M-T-N in Jackson, . . i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-t's . . . The Schwerty"
    I stay away from the cheese, I think. Been in part time radio for 16 or 17 years so that phase and novelty are long gone.

My show usually starts off with some live Dead or Dead derivative. For instance, this mornings show went Legion of Mary, '78 Dead, and a Furthur tune from spring tour. After I get that out of my system I play other rock/folk/hippy/blues/new music tunes.....bela, John Prine, Band of Heathens, The Wood bros, Robert Randolph, Allman bros, Clapton, Ray LaMontange, JJ Cale, Buddy Guy, Panic, Trombone Shorty, Stones, Dr. John, Gov't Mule, Los Lobos...are some of what comes to mind from this morning. It varies, depending on my mood.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathVan View Post
    WHAT?? On a clear night, you should at least be able to pick up KBBI out of Homer. They have a pretty tall antenna on Diamond Ridge, but it might not go the 140 miles to Kodiak. It's the best NPR in Ak!! Click n Clack the Car Guys saturdays; the Bushlines!!!; some great local acoustic acts, a good selection of a range of music...('cept deathmetal), plus KBBI was the original local studio of Tom Bodett before he went nationwide.

Last time I was in Kodiak, I was listening to the local KBXT or whatever it was called....they didn't sound too bad. Yep...it's NPR...but the only other station there played nothing but country.

Put up a dipole antenna and bring in KBBI.
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Did I hear a radio station in AK that had a solid hour of songs about dogs one day? It was pretty funny, and awesome at the same time. I was actually surprised by the station selections up there, nothing anywhere near current but still some good tunes.

Clearchannel has ruined most of the lower 48 I think. Every station plays the same corporate crap for hours on end with very little room for creativity. DJ's don't get paid shit for what used to be considered an artform. It's a damned shame.

There was a local station operating illegally in a small mountain town I lived near a few years ago. It was awesome, you could basically go knock on the guys door and ask him to play just about anything and he would. Once we were playing cornhole in the neighbors back yard and he kept taking requests.

Stumbled across this station which has the DJ thing and a pretty broad range of tunes.

http://www.homegrownradionj.com/
    Silent....but shredly.

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

^^^^I'll see your 80's thread drift and raise you.

Here's comes the royal flush;

Silent....but shredly.

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Here in the NYC area about a month ago they just pulled the only awesome alternative/rock station on the air. All the good stuff, classics mixed in with lesser known local stuff. Turned it into a friggin women's talk radio show. Unbelievable.

101.9 RXP

I am super pissed. Everything is now top 50 poop stations, just another reason why I hate NYC.

But there is hope, RXP is still streaming online. They have apps for Android/iOS which has been my savior for radio.
    http://www.1019rxp.com/

My personal fave...