Volkl Superspeed review

Ok maybee this ski review belongs at www.epicski.com, but I'll post it there anyway....At work we have quite a few high end Volkl Piste planks (we have a few powder planks as well). Ithought I'd give some of them a try...My boss told me to ski these in something under 160!...so I ignored him and took out the 168 (they do make them longer)....Testing ground the steep imaqulate pistes or Mt Norquay....if High to very High speed arcs are your thing these rule....you do have to right on top of them all the time or they will just spit you at the ground!....but for going Mach loony on an Ice cube they rock...took me a while to trust their grip on the steepest faces...i used to thigs giving way just as it gets steep and icy, but no...just hang on and hope your legs don't colapse....It's almost imposible to brush the tails out and slide a turn...the obligatory skid stop at the lift requires a lot of unweighting to avoid catching an edge and slamming into the maze (fixed steel barriers at norquay).

these skis don't like soft snow....I was skiing in 2-4" of fresh...any deper and they get upset!...bumps - an explosive is a much nicer bump ski.....chopped up off piste - again not fun oldschool straight or blades handle with similar ease in crud!

Quote Originally Posted by Idris
    Ok maybee this ski review belongs at www.epicski.com, but I'll post it there anyway....At work we have quite a few high end Volkl Piste planks (we have a few powder planks as well). Ithought I'd give some of them a try...My boss told me to ski these in something under 160!...so I ignored him and took out the 168 (they do make them longer)....Testing ground the steep imaqulate pistes or Mt Norquay....if High to very High speed arcs are your thing these rule....you do have to right on top of them all the time or they will just spit you at the ground!....but for going Mach loony on an Ice cube they rock...took me a while to trust their grip on the steepest faces...i used to thigs giving way just as it gets steep and icy, but no...just hang on and hope your legs don't colapse....It's almost imposible to brush the tails out and slide a turn...the obligatory skid stop at the lift requires a lot of unweighting to avoid catching an edge and slamming into the maze (fixed steel barriers at norquay).

these skis don't like soft snow....I was skiing in 2-4" of fresh...any deper and they get upset!...bumps - an explosive is a much nicer bump ski.....chopped up off piste - again not fun oldschool straight or blades handle with similar ease in crud!
    I could imagine. I ski last year's 6* and that requires you to be on top of it as well. And the superspeed is supposed to be burlier. About skiing them short... I'm 6'3" and 200 lbs and I ski the 6* in a 175.
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

Quote Originally Posted by spanky
    I could imagine. I ski last year's 6* and that requires you to be on top of it as well. And the superspeed is supposed to be burlier. About skiing them short... I'm 6'3" and 200 lbs and I ski the 6* in a 175.
    Faster and more lively than the 6*.
    Here is a review that I did some time back. This ski rocks. Also the SS did very well in some heavy corn, spring snow too. If you carve bumps, then these do well there too. They do not do well if you ski bumps like Johnny Mosley.
    "Steve McQueen's got nothing on me" - Clutch

Quote Originally Posted by Mcwop
    They do not do well if you ski bumps like Johnny Mosley.

So if I dont buy this ski I WILL ski bumps like Johnny Mosley??

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion
    So if I dont buy this ski I WILL ski bumps like Johnny Mosley??
    Sorry, no.
    "Steve McQueen's got nothing on me" - Clutch

I skied the Superspeed at the retailer demo day last spring and I loved 'em. The day I skied at Alta - with McWop and company - during the Utah mini; most people were on their mid-fats and their PR's, Gotamas, etc., but the Superspeed would have been a fabulous ski for ripping the groomers as we did most of the day.

Everybody loves their fat powder sticks when it's soft. But when it's hard, I'll happily ride a race ski or a Supersport/Superspeed.

I don't think they are hard to ski.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget
    I skied the Superspeed at the retailer demo day last spring and I loved 'em. The day I skied at Alta - with McWop and company - during the Utah mini; most people were on their mid-fats and their PR's, Gotamas, etc., but the Superspeed would have been a fabulous ski for ripping the groomers as we did most of the day.

Everybody loves their fat powder sticks when it's soft. But when it's hard, I'll happily ride a race ski or a Supersport/Superspeed.

I don't think they are hard to ski.
    Just stick w/ a pair of G4s w/ sharp edges.

Why TF did Volkl quit making that ski. I haven't seen one of its replacements, the Karma
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo
    Just stick w/ a pair of G4s w/ sharp edges.

Why TF did Volkl quit making that ski. I haven't seen one of its replacements, the Karma
    I agree, I still have my AX4's. Though, I have toyed with selling them.

Why did Volkl drop the G4/AX4 from their line. I'm sorry to say I don't have a good answer.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein